Auto up & down windows from DS Switch

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Auto up & down windows from DS Switch

Postby immorality » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:31 pm

There are a few possible ways to do this. Many people assume that a JDM switch will have the guts to do it, but the switch internals are VERY different for each window, such that a circuit board is added to the drivers side for the one touch down. The short story is that it just isn't possible for the regular person to create a new circuit board to add into the existing switch. Even if you could do it, the amount of time and money required just isn't worth it. You could try to retrofit the guts from an SC430 switch, but for me, looking again at the time and money, it just isn't worth it. This DIY can be done for around $50USD and a little wiring. Assuming you have a reasonably basic understanding of automotive wiring (can you install a car stereo? If yes, continue...), this shouldn't be a big job. In reality, the hardest part is running wires through the door grommet into the cabin.

Once this is all done you will be able to simply tap the vehicle window switch in either direction, the window will roll up or down completely. If you want to open or close the window a little bit just hold the switch for the desired amount.

First of all, go out and buy a DEI (Directed Electronics) 535t Window Module (Amazon Link). DEI is a long standing electronics company and I have no worries about the quality of their products.

Once you unbox this guy, this is what you get, a control box and three harnesses,

I then pull the harnesses straight and twisted together matching sets to keep things clean (I'll go over the wiring details shortly).

It's nice if you have the electrical book to help you along, but I'll give you the wiring details into my '94. You can see here that I've wrapped part of the harness, but I've kind of split things into control on the left (these go to your DS switch), and the power/ground/alarm inputs on the right. You do not need to have an alarm to do this, but if you do you can add remote control and auto roll up on lock/arming.

There didn't seem to be a great way to mount the control box in the door, but this is how I did it, it's just zap strapped in there. You can mount the box just about anywhere as long as you have the four wires control wires to interrupt the switch from the motors.

I ran the wires up under the handle and back through the plastic sheeting. There was already a hole here for the part of the harness that goes to the marker light in the door.

Here I have the other wires (power/ground/alarm). I routed those along the existing harness, down through the opening for the mirror harness and extended them from behind the speaker.

Now for the wiring portion, first please check that both windows are working in both directions, it would be spectacularly frustrating to find a switch or motor failure now.

We will start with the switch. You will have to review your wiring diagram to see which wires lead from the switch to the motor for both the drivers side and the passenger side. For my '94 (USDM spec) they are as follows:

Driver's side UP: Green (Pin 3)
Cut wire and connect switch side to Brown (H2/1 on ctrl box)
Connect motor side to Blue (H1/3)

Driver's side DOWN: Red (Pin 4)
Cut wire and connect switch side to White (H2/2 on ctrl box)
Connect motor side to Green (H1/2)

Passenger side UP: Red-Blue (Pin 10)
Cut wire and connect switch side to Brown (H2/1 on ctrl box)
Connect motor side to Green (H1/2)

Passenger side DOWN: Green (Pin 7)
Cut wire and connect switch side to White/Black (H2/7 on ctrl box)
Connect motor side to Green/Black (H1/7)

Here's my custom 535T to MR2 MS Paint schematic.

You will notice that the wires that run to the switch are a smaller gauge that those that run to the motor.

DS Switch Side

DS Motor Side

PS Switch Side

PS Motor Side

I ran 4 new wires from the cabin into the door. One dedicated ground, power, and two for the alarm.

There are now 5 wires from the control box that need to be grounded;

Black (H1/5)
White (H3/1)
White/Black (H3/2)
Violet (H1/1)
Violet/Black (H1/6)

I spliced these all into the dedicated ground from the cabin. I'm sure you could ground them in the door with the same result. I ran +12v from the ignition, the other 2 are for the alarm and I have yet to wire them in.

For control of the windows through an alarm the Orange (H2/4) wire goes to a ground when armed, and the Red/White (H2/3) wire goes to an auxiliary output.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Re: Auto up & down windows from DS Switch

Postby immorality » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:37 pm

The '91 BGB that's online shows that the connections to the switch are the same pins, but doesn't show the wire colors.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Return to Do-it-yourself \ How-to