Stereo power on until DS door is opened

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Stereo power on until DS door is opened

Postby immorality » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:08 pm

I did this little mod because since the first time I ever saw this in a modern car I always thought it was awesome. This keeps power to the radio after you remove the key, and then turns the radio off when you open the driver's side door. There are lots of different ways to achieve this, and this is just how I did it with a few random leftover parts, others may choose to do it differently.

Parts needed:

Relays
1x - SPST Relay : (Single Pole Single Throw Relay)
1x - SPDT Relay : (Single Pole Double Throw Relay, this one has a 5th terminal in the center marked "87a")
Wire (as needed)
Terminal connectors (as needed)
Some basic wiring knowledge

Prepare the relays as shown in the picture below.

From terminal 87 of the left side relay, connect that to your ACC wire on your stereo's head unit. In aftermarket decks this is a solid red wire. In my 1994 MR2 with the premium sound system and 15 pin connector it's pin 3 and also a solid red connector. Different years and different stereo options this will change. You will have to look at the wiring diagram for your car if it's not the same as mine.

From terminal 85 of the right side relay, connect that to the Door Courtesy Switch LH at the Door Lock ECU. In my 1994 MR2 the door lock ECU is under the dash, just up from the clutch pedal. It's a small plastic box, about the size of a pack of smokes. It has an 16 pin orange connector. For me, the door courtesy switch is a red wire at pin 2.

immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Re: Stereo power on until DS door is opened

Postby adam » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Cool project, Russ, this is a great feature.

Thinking of how this could be done other ways - how does Toyota have it set up so that you can still move the windows until a door opens?
adam
Grandfather '2

Re: Stereo power on until DS door is opened

Postby immorality » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:16 am

Toyota does it through the door lock ECU as well, but with the window it's on a 60s timer and that timer is defined by the hardware inside the door lock ecu.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Return to Do-it-yourself \ How-to