Car alarm

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Car alarm

Postby RainyBM » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Wow has this been a weekend. I TOPed my car for today and found out that my battery was dead. I jump started the car and then it was all good until another problem came up. I don't know how it happened, but after I locked the door, I couldn't reopen it anymore with the remote. The remote is not responding at all anymore, and the car is locked so there is no way of getting in. I used the key to unlock the doors, but the alarm goes off like crazy. I'm not sure y the remote isn't responding anymore. On the remote screen, it says the car is unlocked, but the car really is locked. I asked some of my friends and the previous owner for help, and concluded that I should unlock it with the keys and let the alarm go off, and then quickly disconnect the battery. (Another way might be to let the battery die out, but don't know how long this will take) Is this the only and best way? and any ideas why this happened?

thanks
RainyBM

Re: Car alarm

Postby defiant » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:17 pm

It sounds like your remote has lost the programing. There should be a toggle switch under the dash near the alarm box, flick the switch, which will turn off the system. Go and get your remote re-programed and turn everything back on.
1986 MR2 n/a - Weekend toy
1992 Chevy Astro - Family Hauler
1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wheeling
defiant
Baby '2

Re: Car alarm

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 am

Sometimes jump starting can cause a voltage spike that fries sensitive electronics or causes them to work improperly. Read your manual for a factory reset option and if that doesn't work, try letting the battery die and recharging via trickle charge. If that doesn't work either, its probabaly toast. Good luck!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Return to Audio, Alarm, and Stereo Talk