Power antenna

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Power antenna

Postby eternal » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Hey, I've got 2 problems with my power antenna that I thought you guys might have some info on.

First, I have an aftermarket deck with a scosche harness, which includes both an amp on and antenna wires, both hooked up as I've read they should be. One going to a pink wire, the other to black and red, but the antenna won't retract. Can anyone tell me what leads and where I need to check for what voltage along the way to check that the power is getting to the antenna?

Second, I'm going to be going to full aftermarket setup quick, so I was hoping to remove the stock amps completely because they'll just be dead weight at that point. Is that possible, or does the power antenna cause problems with doing that?
eternal
Baby '2

Re: Power antenna

Postby immorality » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:58 am

This is for a '93 right?
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby eternal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:44 pm

That's right.
eternal
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:30 pm

1. I don't have the wiring diagram for a '93 so I can't get into details on that, but can you confirm that the power antenna motor is or isn't working? It could always be that the cable inside it has snapped.

2. The factory wiring sees the deck getting power through the main amplifier unless you rewire it, so you may just decide to leave it there (I did).
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby eternal » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:52 pm

This morning I was thinking about why I wouldn't see anything on my voltmeter when I was checking out the leads at the antenna of the car and realized I had my voltmeter set to AC. :roll:

When the car is in acc 3 have power, when radio is on another powers up. The relay sends approx 12v for 10 seconds when the radio gets turned on, doesn't do anything if the radio is then turned off, but sends 12v through the 2nd lead when the car is shut off.

So all the electrical is fine, I just have to check out the motor quick to see if anything inside is gummed up. The mast is new, so hopefully if the motor is damaged it didn't break the mast again. I also didn't really do a great job of putting the thing back together the last time, so it might just be something I messed up.
eternal
Baby '2

Return to Audio, Alarm, and Stereo Talk