puchasing a new alarm

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: puchasing a new alarm

Postby RePete » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 pm

I still maintain that no one wants these cars but the owners (or other MR2 drivers).

Adding to Sarah's post, I remember asking the PO when I bought the car to school me on the alarm. He looked down shamefully and said "Well, it's supposed to work like this." Supposed to? It accidentally went off twice in his driveway before I told him to stop the demonstration.

But to be fair, the CompuStar is so jam packed with features (turbo timer, keyless entry, panic alarm, paging function, approach disarm, etc.) that one has to be careful with the brick like remote. It's sensitive to certain key combos and if the user doesn't respect the slight delay between modes then they might re-arm it without knowing it - and that's where the trouble starts.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:02 pm

An alarms functionality/reliability is 90% install. I've never had a problem with a Compustar or Clifford (DEI). The Viper is a good one too.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby ZerA » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 pm

_mr2_ wrote:you wouldnt say a honda civic and an mr2 are the same, so you cant say a top of the line viper is equivalent to a cheesy rip off out the back of a white van in a praking lot alarm. i know if i guy wants the car bad enough theyll get it, but i like reliability, and function. i like to have my remote say hey someone has hit my car so i can go raise a little hell. sure the car can be stolen but the stuff inside is important too, and when a low life breaks your window or punches your locks and strips your car in the middle of the nite, and you didnt know about it because your cheapy alarm didnt go off, your gonna wish you spent that little extra.
just my $0.02
i reccomend the viper 5901.

Not really sure what you wrote but no one is comparing anything. Viper is a good alarm too, I've used it before with no complaints. Very simple and straight forward. Compustar can be troublesome if not hooked up properly, cuz simply they have alot more sensors to wire up. If one sensor is not working properly, the unit will get confused and go nuts. As most compustars ppl use are the fancy ones with turbo timers and auto start. Those systems usually needs some getting use to as you need to learn the procedures to put the unit in valet mode or reservation, especially on a stardard transmission car.

In my opinion, which ever alarm system you choose is fine as long as it does what it suppose to. Brand is no issue unless you like the little fancy features like turbo timers and auto start then that is just personal preference. Just find something comfortable to use in and out of the car and sensitive enough to deter thieves.
-Thomas
1990 Toyota MR2 GT JDM Hardtop - Summer Cruiser
1983 Honda Civic 5spd - Winter Grinder SOLD
ZerA
Papa '2

Postby Kin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:04 pm

thanks for all your input!

I am probably going to get a viper, as with compustar, am alittle worried about its reliability and the more functions it has, the more problems it can have, like with anything in life! Simple is good....

Probably going with more of an entry level viper alarm. Thats probably all I will need for my needs.
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby Kin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 am

Hey guys,

What do yo think about the compustar 1000? nice and simply alarm with basic futures only!
Cost is $89 at visions. All I want is a trouble free alarm and with lesser features, hopefully with no troubles, and an alarm that can open my doors, I am not worried about the theft of my car, I also use a club :D .
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby ZerA » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Which one specifically? Compustar CM-1000A or CM-1000K?

Which ever you're look at, they're both fine. I used the CM-1000k in my moms Caravan and didnt have any problems. Just make sure its installed properly!!!!
-Thomas
1990 Toyota MR2 GT JDM Hardtop - Summer Cruiser
1983 Honda Civic 5spd - Winter Grinder SOLD
ZerA
Papa '2

Postby 1985 Silver MKI » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:32 am

I too am buying a new alarm does anybody here do good alarm installs? I'd rather someone who love's 2's installs it so as not to completely hack my wiring up. It would no doubt be an easy job as there was an alarm installed at one point but the PO uninstalled. Can anyone help me?
Cheers!
1985 Silver MKI
Papa '2

Postby Oteck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 am

I'd love to help but im booked with other ppls projects along with mine. also mk1 are like aliens to me as i never work on them let alone seen their wiring diagram
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby _mr2_ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:46 am

i could do it. send me a pm and we will figure out a date and time. i do really great work with alarms. everything will be hidden and it will all be professional.
_mr2_
Junior '2

Postby 1985 Silver MKI » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:32 pm

no need to PM Jordan, we can do discuss it at some point when I'm over helping out with my old car.
1985 Silver MKI
Papa '2

Postby sprinterkb » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Guys Guys, your mk-2's have a factory integrated alarm already !! why junk it up with some layered aftermarket system?
Sure the oem alarm does not have keyless entry but it will prevent someone from braking into the car and driving away with her. as it has starter defeat and hidden horns with flashing lights too.
If you want further security get some sort of basic key immobilizer key system.

I have seen too many horror stories with add alarms in mk-2's (right RedTwo?)

My mk-2 has the factory alarm and i have added a oem keyless system from a corolla to give me that feature. 8)
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:33 am

sprinterkb wrote:My mk-2 has the factory alarm and i have added a oem keyless system from a corolla to give me that feature. 8)

Actually Kin's mk2 doesn't have the factory alarm, and I know of several people here that also do not have a factory alarm.

Luckily I do, so could you please share some details on how to add the keyless entry????
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby Kin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:41 am

My mr2 only has the power door locks, but alarm install now and with the compustar 1000A, would recommend it if you are on a budget and want an alarm with keyless entry feature..... :D

And no factory alarm :(
GO CANUCKS!
Kin
Junior '2

Postby sprinterkb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 pm

immorality wrote:
sprinterkb wrote:My mk-2 has the factory alarm and i have added a oem keyless system from a corolla to give me that feature. 8)

Actually Kin's mk2 doesn't have the factory alarm, and I know of several people here that also do not have a factory alarm.

Luckily I do, so could you please share some details on how to add the keyless entry????

If i told you i would have to shoot ya. 8) last chance garage special assignment.
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby Saiko » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:35 pm

IF that "shot" were to my foot, I'd take ya up on that deal.. :lol:
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

PreviousNext

Return to Audio, Alarm, and Stereo Talk