Martin's BMW 318is Twin Screw Supercharger Build Thread

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Martin's BMW 318is Twin Screw Supercharger Build Thread

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 am

Well the time has finally come. I have been up and down with the subject. I have been through head gaskets and wondered if i should ever do it. The rear end has ripped out on me and i had to weld it back into place. The head has cracked and a new one had to be put on......the list goes on as to why i should not do this.

bare with the fuzzy pictures, i later got a better camera so half way through they get clear.

But that is not the fun route. Yesterday i drove 4 hours to get the deal of a lifetime, on a Lysholm 1.2 Litre Twin Screw Supercharger.

Lets just say this thing is amazing. It even has the bypass valve built into the intake housing on the end of the compressor. It also has a (5th) injector which is supposed to be used for extra fuel, powered by a piggy back system. I am pretty certain it will be the best spot ever for Methanol injection!!!.

Anyways, this is by no means going to be a quick build. Everything you see in this thread will be A full custom Job by me. The plan is to get the supercharger mounted, and obviously all of the plumbing figured out. A custom A2w intake manifold will be made, with the a2w core built inside of the plenum.

I will try to take as many pictures as i can with the progress. Earlier this year i drove up there to Canada and bought a spare block so i can do the mock up. That along with the old cracked head i have, i can make a pretty good mock up of the design on my workbench.

So to start , over the next week the LSD differential will be going in along with the solid diff mounts and 2 brand new axles. Later when i feel like it, the very very expensive M series clutch and transmission and drive shaft will be going in to complete the drive train. All of this crap has been here just sitting, waiting to be installed since last winter. Like i said, i have been up and down about whether this project is going to happen.

For those that want to know, my goals are going to be approximately 250Whp at probably 12-15 PSI. These engines have proven to handle over 300whp all day with no problems. the only problem at 300whp that you encounter is the HG. But i have already taken car of that with a new gasket and ARP head studs. So 250whp is a good place to stay at. last time the car hit the Dyno it put down about 117whp and 119 torque. So my goal is to double the horsepower. Oh and for those who saw my teaser thread a year ago, I shit canned the idea of using the ITBS. This Blowers manifold design eliminated my need to do that. Stay tuned guys.

Here is the Compressor i drove for about 8 hours in the pouring rain, through traffic and ferries yesterday. Well worth the trip If i told you what i paid for it, you would puke considering how expensive twin screw compressors are!! Enjoy my slow build folks.

Sorry for the crappy picture

My Lysholm 1.5 Litre Twin Screw Compressor.

The mock up Block, without the head to design the setup on

God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Re: Martin's BMW 318is Twin Screw Supercharger Build Thread

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:25 am

So If you are wondering what i will be doing for tuning, I will tell you.

I will be using an Emulator. This emulator has a ribbon wire running to the ecu. This wire plugs in place of the ecu's stock tuning chip. This can be done, because the Europeans use chips that are replaceable, rather than our flash tuned ecus on the Japanese cars. This emulator gives me real time tuning and data. I can control the entire ECU using this system as if it were a full standalone fuel management system. I can control spark timing, injectors etc.... I can even throw injectors in, that are as large as i want. Just a little, simple math calculations and it is running them with no problem. I can also convert to a map sensor or a MAF sensor instead of using my flipper door AFM. All it would require is some math and some conversion data to be applied.

So with that said, i will more than likely tune the car myself. This can be done on the fly with a laptop, just like any other management system.

Best part about this system is it costs $174 USD to turn my ecu into a programmable fuel management system :-)

It will look like this.

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:24 pm

This is really exciting to see, martin. Can't wait to follow this and read more!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:38 pm

So, is the Green Dragon going to keep up with my Mazda now?
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:50 pm

immorality wrote:
bbarnumboy wrote:its lighter than ur lil mazda and instant torque baby

I've got 280lbft @ 3000rpm for ya!

:-p

I'm not certain but it should give a damn good fight! Remember i am limiting it to 250! If you make me want to push 300 and i blow it, i will just have to swap a 2j in i guess.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:52 pm

Lots of time today to research some stuff and think of designs. It is all coming together!! (at least in my head)

Russ you going to engineer me some brackets? I'll provide dimensions.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:44 am

I was gone for 5 days, out on the coast of Washington, enjoying myself for our holiday weekend. Wednesday i had a little time to poke around on the car after work and here is what i got done.

I finally decided to put the LSD differential in the car that has been sitting in my garage for over a year now. Also put 2 new axles in as well. OMG!! why did i not do this a year ago when i bought it! Huge difference. The whole car has been transformed into an even better car. about 10 different noises that i was always hearing from the rear-end are now gone. The old diff was pretty well worn out and loose.

I went with the Royal Purple 75W140 gear lube. This has the LSD additive already added to the fluid for extended performance and life of clutched LSD setups. I could not be hap[pier with how this turned out. Now i will for sure be able to apply all of the power i make down to the ground. No more 1 tire smoke shows for me. It's going to be all or nothing.

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 am

$20 USD each! holy crap! and i had to buy 2 of course because it required .2 litres more. Such is life

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:47 am

Here it is all finished

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:00 am

Thanksgiving day i went out to the garage for a while and setup the mock-up engine. This was all for my visual learning of what i am going to have to deal with. I think i am going to have to buy a smaller snout for the supercharger.

A while back i had a plate made to move the alternator to the opposite side of the engine in the place of where the AC compressor used to be. Doing this would completely free the entire intake side of the engine. Unfortunately the steering rack is slightly in the way so if it can be done i will have to redo the adapter plate and try again. I do not think that i need to move it. This was just going to give me more room to play with when mounting the supercharger. We will see on that item in the end.

Here are some better pictures of the compressor and it next to the engine. The manifold and intake runner are from a vehicle specific kit which will not be used in my setup. I will more than likely be cutting the flanges off for the custom fabrication of my manifold Air box.

Sorry that all of my pictures suck in quality. My phones camera really sucks these days. I need to get a shop camera.

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 am

Should I go twin charger? This is an Audi A4 turbocharger i have laying around :-)

Look closely at the next picture. at the end of the intake flange for the supercharger, there is whats called a 5th injector. this was used in the kit as a source for extra fuel. This was part of the kits fuel management for tuning for Boost. Well I know have an already installed methanol injector :-D

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby Oteck » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 am

^ i want to know what kind of toaster you used to take those pictures :)
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:35 am

Classified :-)

the lens is so dirty and scratched up on my phone these days. the quality has taken a dump!
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:39 pm

Just made a parts order.

Ordered an electric fan and shroud and coolant temp sensor.

Doing this will allow me to get rid of the big bulky fan shroud on the radiator and remove the manual clutched fan connected to the engine. All i have to do is put the new fan on the radiator between the engine and the radiator and remove the restrictive electric fan on the front side of the ac condenser.

The whole reason this was done, is to get rid of the electric fan in the front of the condenser. doing this freed up about 3 inches of depth, between the bumper and the condenser. That brings me to the next order

I ordered all of the supplies needed to set up my air to water inter cooler system. This included the huge 26x7x3.5 inch 2 row heat exchanger, all hoses lines, clamps, fittings, water pump, harness and water pump mounting bracket.

All parts should be here by the end of next week and i will convert the fan. After that i will start to figure out the mounting of the massive heat exchanger.

For those interested i went with http://www.frozenboost.com for all of the a2w setup. I have reviewed the crap out of them and i could not find a real life bad review about them. Everyone pushed their products to the limits with success. You cannot beat the price for the quality you actually receive. Here is the heat exchanger i purchased.

Heat Exchanger Link

The After-cooler core will be custom built into the custom air-box that is being made for the setup. Measurements will be taken on Sunday for the setup.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:01 am

So I received all of the parts yesterday for the Fan delete mod. And here it is!

Removed the clutched fan, and shroud. Replace the fan switch with a colder switch allowing the fan to come on earlier, compensating for the loss of the mechanical fan. Installed new Electric puller fan/shroud on the engine side of the radiator. Removed the aux fan from the bumper side of the radiator/condenser. Works amazing. I forgot a picture of the old setup with the shroud in place still.

Before

After Fan delete Mod

After fan delete Mod

in the end, i deleted 2 fans and now have 1. Less work the motor has to do, spinning that manual fan as well.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Next

Return to Off Topic