Martin's BMW 318is Twin Screw Supercharger Build Thread

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Martin's BMW 318is Twin Screw Supercharger Build Thread

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:06 pm

finally the custom made pulley has arrived. Its amazing. Craftsmanship is top notch. Made of aluminum and anodized black.

God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 am

Finally got around to installing the Crank Pulley. Here are some pictures of the install. Put brand new belts on as well.

Got the final measurements taken to make the mock up air-box design.

Also replace the Rear trailing arm bushings. I could not handle the clunking anymore!

Finally removed the Fan clutch

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 am

Only took a year off but i have this back in the works.....i said it was going to be a slow build :-)
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:26 am

I told you this would be a slow build. I decided to wire up the relay etc for the A2W pump. I also measured out some more aluminum angle stock and mounted the pump to the piece of angle. next I need to mount the pump into place on the car.

They make these fancy little fuse taps that i have never seen before. It is a housing that goes into place of a fuse in the fuse box. The bottom fuse is for the original item intended and the top one is used for the item you are wiring up. I do not recommend these for anything that draws very much current. I would never use them for anything more than an ignition trigger wire or for gauges or something very low voltage. Otherwise you will be pulling more than that fuse position was designed for.

This fuse thingymabob came in very handy for me because I just used it for an ignition power source to trigger my relay. This pump will be running 100% of the time that the ignition is turned on. The install was very clean and all tucked away into the original fuse box. I ran the wires to the pump up front by following the harness for the fog lights and the horn. I drilled a few very small holes, just big enough for my wire out the back of the fuse box. Best part is I did not have to screw the relay down anywhere etc and it is very easy to reposition if needed.

Water Pump Mounted to Angle

Fancy little fuse tap, no wires were spliced or vampire bitten in the making of this, Excellent

Relay tucked away neatly in the fuse box and the lid still fits on perfectly!

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 am

Finished mounting the pump to a completely new bracket, even though it looks the same. Found a great spot to hold the pump into place with 2 M10 bolts. Finished running the wiring for the pump so that it is hidden away. Hooked up the hose from the pump to the heat exchanger. I will hook up the other lines when it is ready to hook up to the intercooler manifold.

All in all I am very happy with the location i found and how perfectly everything fit into place.

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am

I plan to go on the Leavenworth German car cruise on June 15th, so this will be my target to finish the car. I am going to hammer out a mock up of the sir/mounting box this coming Saturday.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Tons of work being done on this project. I have completed the pulley system for the supercharger snout. The idler is held on with a bunch of washers for mock up that need to be replaced by a spacer. The custom pulley was finally completed to mount on to the spring tensioner and it turned out nicely. We made it out of Delrin so we will see how long it lasts :-)

Made the custom mounting bracket modifications to fit the snout and mount to the car for strength.

The Actual supercharger mounting brackets will be back from the water jet cutter tonight. I will fit the compressor on for a mock fit along with a mock fit airbox for fitment.

I have a custom ordered a2w intercooler cartridge coming next week from bellintercoolers.com

Cartridge will have no air ports so i can make my own.

Hopefully i can post pictures of the compressor mounted in the engine bay tonight.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby immorality » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:33 pm

I like that pulley, you can't beat the made in Canada quality!
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby bbarnumboy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:50 pm

The idler was made in Canada too. I had 2 idlers, and a Tensioner all gates Drivealign products. all made in Canada but one of the idlers bearing was from China so i went with the Canada bearing.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Well I ordered the new snout for the supercharger in a shorter length since this one is way too long. Whipple confirmed that I do have a true Lysholm 1200AX not a Whipple since Whipple and Lysholm merged back in the day. This one is an older one and for sure a Lysholm with a Whipple badge.

Got the mock up bracket to test out supercharger positioning and it is off by about an inch or so in more than one direction. More pictures after we get the test bracket remade for actual correct fitment.

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Mock up bracket #2 is a success. Needs about a 5 degree tilt away from the engine to make the compressor straight up and down. Needs to come forward 11/16" to align the pulleys. The new Whipple 3 5/16" snout came in today to change out the old 8" one. Coming together quickly!

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Previous

Return to Off Topic