Martins BMW 318is SC Project.

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Martins BMW 318is SC Project.

Postby bbarnumboy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:26 pm

well a funny option has just arrived in my lap. lets start here. downing atlanta, makes a supercharger kit for the bmw m42 1.8 and 1.9L m42 and m44 engines. well i was planning to purchase one of these, wonderfully made kits. the setup is solid, very reliable and looks and performs great.
it is rated at 8psi and should bring me just over 200hp to the crank.

i have been told that my engine can safely handle 13-15 psi without any problems because the internals are forged from the factory.

this kit was going to become dot approved as a oem type upgrade, unfortunately about 5 months back the company that modifies the Eaton roots supercharger decided to stop modifying them, so they would no longer work for the kit. the kit has a lot of money and time into its build with even a custom cast manifold etc.... no one else offers a kit for this car except custom or by another company that i will not even look at there website anymore they are so shady.

someone on the bimmer forums just announced they talked with the creator and that the company that made the housings for the charger had a few units left so he was able to get a couple more kits made to go out the door. this is very lucky!

these will more than likely be the last ever. so i called him and i am on the list and will e getting my kit sometime in January to Feb.

i am way excited about this and it will definitely bring the life out of my BMW without overdoing it or worrying about any failure or issues. the car is going into the shop this week to get all oil seals etc replaced to fix it's leaks to make it all good to go. do not worry this will not effect my progress o the mk1.5 build :-)

here is the link to the supercharger faq's page, read it through it is amazing the passion and time and dedication put into designing this kit and it is the best of the best. i will update about it when i can and when the install happens

http://downingatlanta.com/downingatlant ... fo_new.htm

very good information about the kit on that site and how it works. prettyg cool kit i am excited
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Re: Martins BMW 318is SC Project.

Postby vindicator » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:47 am

holy sh!t!!! i finally read about the infamous DowningAtlanta SC! Can't wait!! :twisted:
I miss Canada.. :(
vindicator
Baby '2

Postby 4agzeSE » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:43 pm

That's great Martin. Keep us updated.
-Matt
89 MR2 SuperCharger SuperEdition= SOLD
86 Corolla GTS= Daily Driver
4agzeSE
MR2 Veteran

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 pm

well i just bought and recieved the performance chip last week that will give me 11hp and 19 torque increase and remove the speed cut and raise the rev limit to 6900 which is a 500rpm increase. unfortunately if i run it with the supercharger it will be too advanced of timing and lean the car as well resulting in slight detonation equalling very bad situation :-) so now i need to return that. Good thing is that i will get $250.00 bucks back for that, hopefully my car is not already equiped with a performance chip.

i think i will maybe go with the superchip which is a piggy back tunable system to where i could possibly tune up the maps a little better to squeeze a few more ponies out of the sc system, since the sc kit runs off of the stock tuning system and has no added software to make it work. i will be upgrading the exhaust more than likely to a supersprint exhaust system. i am gonna pinch those ponies out as much as i can to get this sucker going. :twisted:
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby 92slcVRT » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:00 am

I just realized you can run that chip if you ran meth with the S/C :D Advanced timing and fuel added for your lean issues. MOAR POWAH!!!
Martin won't let me have an MR2=(

92 Corrado SLC with a tiny snail
401hp 475ftlbs tq
87 Poopra
92slcVRT
Baby '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:37 pm

NO! my daily driver shall not be malested with meth.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby vindicator » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:00 pm

you can molest me err... my mr2 there Tong. :lol:
I miss Canada.. :(
vindicator
Baby '2

Postby 4agzeSE » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:12 pm

You US boys are weird!! LOL :lol: :lol:
-Matt
89 MR2 SuperCharger SuperEdition= SOLD
86 Corolla GTS= Daily Driver
4agzeSE
MR2 Veteran

Postby bbarnumboy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:12 am

Not weird just. Comfortable :Love:
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby 92slcVRT » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:02 am

Hurry up and get this, I need a car to work on

401hp 475ftlbs tq
87 Poopra
92slcVRT
Baby '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:40 am

latest update.

i should be ordering the blower around the 15th of january. with that i got a steal of a deal on a Unichip piggyback system, 2nd hand, barely used. so i decided to upgrade to #32lb injectors, and run the Unichip and throw a simple 80$ pulley on. i have not decided though, but i am leaning towards a 10psi pulley. the system is not intercooled, so anything over 10psi shows low low gains due to the extra boost being cancelled out due to heat. i may go ahead and run some methanol for the 10psi, but to where i can turn it on and get a few more ponies if i want it. where as if i went 12psi I would need to run methanol always, which i do not want for my daily driver, so i guess i just decided on the 10psi pulley right now lol :wink:

i will have the Unichip tuned by a shop that is very reputable out here in my area. this tune will not turn out like the one on my 4agte mr2. if it does i will give it right back and they are fixin it for free.

10psi should put me at around :twisted: 190-205 WHP and that equals approx 229-249 HP to the crank corrected. :twisted: we will see, i replaced the head gasket and fuel pump a year ago so my compression and fuel pressure should still be up to par. not a bad increase from 117whp that i dynoed this last summer, that is about 141 crank HP corrected from what i have read i have a drivetrain loss multiplier of 1.21 wich is like 15-17%

pictures will be posted when i start recieveing the pulley, injectors, and unichip. oh and this SC kit will still allow me to run my AC yay im excited for that.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby 92slcVRT » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:20 am

Honestly if you used meth for the 12psi pulley I don't think you would use that much meth. With the right nozzle and and right meth spray time you would hardly use any. I would have it start spraying 10% at 8 psi and then maybe up to 40% at 12.

401hp 475ftlbs tq
87 Poopra
92slcVRT
Baby '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:30 am

no!...:-) plus the engine may start falling apart at 13-15 psi 12psi is a little close to that. not to mention the 180,000 miles on my block

i do not ever wanna rely on having methanol, or else melt a piston in my daily driver
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 am

well project changing directions now. a while back i saw a conversion kit to fit a ls1 corvette engine into the e36 bmw like mine. looks something like this.

and looky what i found at a engine warehouse!!!!!!!!!!!

close enough, not supercharged but oh well. yay cant wait for this beast. the conversion will be quick and painful, its all been done before.!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:41 am

ok ok i was kidding :BanMe: :silly:

but latest update. i decided iam gonna stick with the stock boost setting of the sc kit because people are telling me not to go over 8-12 psi so ten is a bit too close for my comfort on that.

also i hear of people pushing 2 bars of boost on these engines stock with just changing the pictons. wow, thats all.

oh well, so aalex ordered me up a whole bunch of parts the other day and this comming weekend we are gonna tackle ripping the whole thing allmost apart.
i had him order me a new front main, rear main, input and output shaft seals for tranny, selector shaft seal, oilpan seal, oil housing seal a new "guibo" dont ask its a big rubber U joint its wierd. a few bolts nuts a bearing and some dust seals.

pretty much me and alex and maybe tong if he feels like it will be dropping the exhaust system, pulling the tranny, oil pan, front pulleys and half the timing cover etc, to change all of these things. the car leaks out of almost every seal. oh and while im in the tranny i will grease my throw out bearing cause i dont think it got any when it was installed with the new clutch, because it sounds like a mini supercharger.

i cant go throwing a supercharger on a car that leaks all of it's oil and trannsmission fluid all the time. so this will refresh the whole system and should not leak at all!!!! i will post pics of the tear down and build up of all the seal replacement.

11 more days until i order the supercharger kit. yay!
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Next

Return to Do-it-yourself \ How-to