Project: Altezza Cluster

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Postby Oteck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:58 pm

While it's one of my old ideas that never came to fruition, another mr2 owner attempted it. This is just my take on my approach to it.
I'm starting with the Modelista cluster which is similar to the TRD but has zero accent with the all black and sleek theme.

Why use this cluster?
1. It's in KM which is perfect for canada, it still 40km lower than my 260km canadian cluster but it's not like i'll hit that speed any time soon.
2. 10krpm redline ooh baby. I plan to have another v6 build for hi compression and higher red line
3. oem oil pressure gauge
4. the cluster takes very little space leaving room to put a couple of gauges on the side and even a digital bar where the trouble shooting indicators are.

Now for the bad part
1. the altezza/is300 uses the old school rpm feed and it comming from the igniter
2. since the tachometer is ignitor based, it's also reads the 3sge black top cycle (will work for 4cyl w/ no mods) so it will need to be modified to work for the v6.
3. majority of the function aside for RPM and speedometer it's operated by the canbus/multiplex. I may have to run a body ecu like the stock or hijack the needle modules directly.
4. odometer a bit of an unknown to where it stores the data (maybe in the engine ecu). it will require some research how to get it to sinc with my mileage

I've collected the diagrams so i'll have to do a pin out. My plan to keep it clean is by keeping the whole back side of the mr2 membrane so i can keep the harness (no hacking). In the simplest way i'll be using the module bolt holes and bulb sockets as the wiring source for the cluster using my spare LED harness.

Just like my original cluster i will do the same to it

Some burrowed images, im still waiting for mine in the mail

Here's a link to the original thread
MR2 Owners Club Message Board
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby adam » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:52 pm

I love this. I'd never put in my car but this cluster is so classy looking.

I was never able to find any info on the Optitron gauges that guy in Europe did but they looked nice and updated too.

What's Modellesta? Just an Altezza trim?

Do IS300s have the speedo front & centre? Just thinking at least those would have a 6-cyl tach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
adam
Grandfather '2

Re: Project: Altezza Cluster

Postby Oteck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:26 pm

it's a trim, kinda like Tom's. they do some neat led stuff to cars when i look at their page. the weird thing is they only have the high rpm ones for the black top beams and never the 2jz.
The older regular altezza/is300 jdm has the speedometer in the middle along with one 240km/10kprm TRD. Preferably i like the tach in the middle.
There is also another altezza/as200 cluster on the late model with the LED speed dials; which i plan to have later also to make a hybrid cluster

Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby adam » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:30 pm

It's a Toyota endorsed company? I see I spelled it wrong earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby Oteck » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:10 pm

i doubt it but i'll be trying to do this in away that it's reversable. A drop in mod while i hack away the cluster as a platform. If i don't like it later i'll just sell it for more $$$ ;)
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby dh4ever » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:06 pm

are the dials stepper motor controled? if so, you could use an arduino microcontroller to opperate the whole cluster, anyway you want. any imput you want, to give any output you want. (would work with your heater control plan too, I could better explain it next time I see you joe)
dh4ever
Papa '2

Return to Do-it-yourself \ How-to