Painted my wheels!

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Painted my wheels!

Postby Crabathor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Hey guys,

So a little while ago I picked up some old beater Riken mesh to replace my stock SC wheels. At the time it didn't seem like a great idea, because when I woke up the next morning after buying the wheels from Craigslists (and extremely haphazardly transporting four wheels with tires mounted in my Mk1- don't ask how I squeezed those in there) and they were...not quite as good condition as I had thought. And the tires were winters. It sort of felt like a horrible morning-after hang over.

Anyways,I mounted some fresh tires on them, Falken Ziex 912-whatever,which are pretty great,and finally got around to cleaning them up and painting them using Duplicolor wheel paint. I had thought about getting them professionally done,but thought it would be a bit overkill on a set of wheels I payed 100$ for. If anyone else has thought about doing this, it is a preeeetty difficult procedure,took a lot of elbow grease. I used a little hand sander to break down all the built up...crap...on the wheels,then washed,primed,sprayed and clearcoated. Fingers crossed they stay this nice looking. Let me know if you have any questions!

Crabathor

Re: Painted my wheels!

Postby sbarc » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Those look really good.....did you use 2 colours of silver?
'93 MR2 N/A
'91 MR2 N/A
'89 MR2 SC (CDN car)
'89 MR2 SC (US car)
'85 Supra (white)
'85 Supra (silver/Grey 2 tone)
'90 Porsche 928 GT
'81 Porsche 924 Turbo
'73 Triumph GT6
71 Opel GT
sbarc
Baby '2

Postby RePete » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Good job, I'd like to see all 4 on the car.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Crabathor » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:42 pm

I used a white primer and then Duplicolor....bronze or something. The colour is a bit different in person. I'll put up more pictures when I get the others done!
Crabathor

Postby immorality » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:53 pm

I've also used Duplicolor in the past with very good results. I would warn people that the clear from Duplicolor turns quite yellow, bu I've heard that the clear from VHT is much clearer.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby dh4ever » Thu May 03, 2012 6:28 pm

I recently did mine graphite, I can vouch for the elbow grease. start to finish each rim took about 5hrs, including useing a heat gun to speed up the curing process between coats. and my rims are only simple 6 spoke. one recomendation if you can easily see the inside of the wheel (like mine) take alot of caution to control overspray, because when spraying the front the heavy metalic particals make a rough surface on the inside. I still need to wax out some orange peel in the center of a couple of them, but I am impressed. I like the darker rims on the car :D
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby yeungun » Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Those look more like Enkeis than Rikens, nevertheless, they look really nice, good job on the restore.

89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Return to Do-it-yourself \ How-to