BMW Rear Subframe Mount Repair

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

BMW Rear Subframe Mount Repair

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 am

So Imagine this!!!! The BMW must be getting jealous of me putting all my money etc into the MR2, because this damn thing breaks every chance it has!! It is pissing me off to the extreme.

Just when i feel everything is good something else goes. So essentially after this project, i will have had my hands on every nut and bolt on the whole engine/tranny driveline, suspension and brakes, lol and none of it i wanted to do. I love working on cars, but not when it is bullshit like this!!

Ok so here is the scoop. I have seen many write ups on the e36 BMW chassis on whats wrong, what should be replaced and what will break on you, etc. You guys have all seen these type of threads about the MR2 as well.

Well i never once saw until i searched for it, that the rear subframe mounts on the early model E36 chassis, "except the M series" had a weak mounting point, that are subject to tearing out. The weak rubber bushings cause alot of flex and the front passenger mount goes, later causing the rear drivers side to go. Well this is exactly wat has happened to my BMW.

Little history. Ever since i have had the car for ummm 3 or 4 years now. The rear driveline had always made a odd noise. I was convinced that this was due to a Universal joint in the rear going out. I never replaced it because it is non-rebuildable on my car, and would need a whole new driveshaft, or new one custom welded on.

Well those who know me, know i beat the crap outta this car. It handles quite well, especially on the track. I do 6k launches on track days etc. Well did a little wet road slippage the other day and OMG was that some bad noises coming from the differential !!!!! It was bad. Here is the result.

Enjoy the pictures and my pain. I have removed the hubs/spindles, brakes, suspenssion, subframe, axles, driveshafts " which the universal joint seems fine" imagine that! differential, brake lines, all electrical lines, sway bar etc... Lets just say a half a day of me being pissed and getting dirty. So the end result is everything off the car in the rear end area.

Once everything was removed, i saw that the damage was way worse than i though when i peaked at it when everything was installed. There is shrap metal and lotsa metal missing that is supossed to be there. ok here is a link to a BMW reinforcement kit i found and solid bushings that will be installed to make sure this does not happen again. it is common so BMW made an official reinforcement kit for this chassis. i think BMW needs to get their shit together because i learned the E-46 had an issue the same, and resulted in a recall where everyone got reinforced for free!!!

here are the links to the new parts and money i need to spend, that i should not have too!!
So Imagine this!!!! the BMW must be getting jealous of me putting all my money etc into the MR2 because this damn thing breaks every chance it has!! It is pissing me off to the extreme.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/de ... 4111225649

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/de ... TDR3680002

it is pretty dumb... a whole bushing kit for this car is over 700$. there are a million bushings. but i have no desire to spend that money on my DD. here are the pics of the damage
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Re: BMW Rear Subframe Mount Repair

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 am

car ready for surgery, imagine that. on jack stands in the ol little ever so famous rip aprt the BMW garage

Shoes removed

Spindles/axles, suspension removed

subframe/diff ready to be removed

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:53 am

Subframe removed!

what the good rear mount looks like. not broken!

what the front mount looks like. not broken!

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 am

front mount torn out!

front mount torn out!!

front mount ripped on chassis

rear mount torn from chassis

well hope u enjoy this. need to see if the reinforcement kit will help me repair or if it is too late. if so i will be custom welding up some thick steel and working on this for the next few weeks probably. enjoy and wish me luck. :bash: oh and sorry for the Novel. but its what, like the 5th project thread i have had on this damn car, and all stuff i didn't plan to do!
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:07 am

well i will be needing to gain access to the tops of these mounts to weld the uper sections. unfortunately the only way to get to them is from under the rear seat and in the trunk. and i have to use a grinder and remove body pieces!! goodness this is getting rediculous. ok so i ripped out the necessary interior and carpeting. i located the front mount under the seat and have found where i need to cut. so i removed the sound dampening material. as for the rear one in the trunk, i will need to drill a hole up, from underneath to find where the mount is located. then remove the material and make my cuts.

here are a few pics of todays progress. still waiting to get the parts i need to repair this issue...sorry i always use my cell phone for pics...what can i say, it is convenient

part that needs to be cut out is outlined to gain mount top access

bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby vindicator » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:03 am

incredible, i can't fathom to realize that this was a major issue with E36s and E46s. I've never heard of this until now. :o
I miss Canada.. :(
vindicator
Baby '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:51 am

i pulled alot of weight out takin all that interior out. maybe i will just leave it out. i dont need anyone more than a passenger.
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Wow Martin. That has GOT to be frustrating, especially having to cut through just to get to the top of the mount! And hey, yeah, you don't need more than a passenger.. turn that Bimmer into a 2-seater :P.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:15 pm

maybe i will just cut the whole back half off and remount the subframe behind the seats. i gotta cut and weld anyways
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby immorality » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:12 am

Sell it and buy a Cressida!
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby bbarnumboy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:18 pm

i actually have been pondering selling it after repai. and not buying any car lol. i got a motorcycle. i'm good!....would be a good lump of cash for the mr2. only thing is i would ask far more than it is worth because technically everything will now be like bran new. all seals clucth cleaning, brand new head all new gaskets all powdercoating, new driveline parts etc...everything is now built to go another 200,000 Miles
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby macatak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:15 pm

I'd be inclined to see if there is anythin' else that needs fixing or reinforcing, if there is and it's not going to cost too much, fix it. sell the rear seat and whatever else you took out of the back.
put in a lightweight panel to close off the trunk and keep it as your D D that you can drive the nuts out of on track days until the 1.5 is ready
but that's just me
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 pm

thinkin about it Duncan!!! thinkin about gutting it of like 600 lbs lol just strippin it down!!!. especially when it is raining here and i am having to ride my motorcycle to and from work
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 pm

immorality wrote:Sell it and buy a Cressida!

wait. are you offering me your cressida, with ever-oh so cold air conditioning?
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby immorality » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 am

I don't know if you could get used to a car that only requires gasoline and oil... what would you do with all the extra money in your wallet?
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Next

Return to Do-it-yourself \ How-to