and i will show you how to do it

Part one... Of many...

Time So far: 5:30 hr
Price to date: $0.00
Music?: 99.3 The FOX
Drinks/Snacks: 1 pepsi, about 10 Freezies

So engine, 1.6L Toyota 4A-GE

This is the engine i will be working on

Start by removing the Coolant tank... Makes life ease in getting the belts off...

Remove the filler

and secondly the other tube on the side...

Then its just a matter of removing the tank

After your done, you will be left with a hole, start by loosing the Alternator top bolt.

when its loose, start undoing the Timing belt covers. There should be 5 bolts, 2 at the top 2 at the bottom and one in the bottom middle...

BE SURE TO BAG AND LABEL EVERY SINGLE BOLT! I have gotten my self into so Manny problems...

then set aside the cover and bolts

then pull off each spark plug wire and label them, 1 through 4, 1 being on the passenger side, and 4 being on drivers side...

Then take off the throttle bracket. 3 bolts, 2 on the valve covers, and 1 on the intake manifold...

Then pull it off to the back of the engine over the exhaust manifold.

Start taking off the Valve cover bolts, there are 8 of them, 4 on each cover...

Bag, label and set aside...

LOL FREEZIES!!! :silly:

Back to the tutorial...

Start on removing the Belts

you must loosen this bolt to get off the A/C Compressor belt (if you have AC, I do... so i have to)

Get em off and pull them away

Then undo the Water pump bolts (10MM) AND I FOUND A TOYOTA DESINE FLAW!!!

(good luck getting the pulley out...)

Under side view...

Take off this last bolt to get off the timing belt covers...

Once the covers are off loosen this 10mm Bolt

BEFORE YOU TAKE OFF THE BELTS MARK ON THE SIDES OF THE BELTS AND CAM GEARS (Write a line)

Then grab a open ended wrench, and put it on the Cam (you have to do this twice... Duh)

Bag the bolts in a large bag, and bag the cam gears in with the bolts too

Along with the two cam gears and label the gears front or rear (or left or right, if your doing this to a FR Car)

After your done that start by removing the plate between the cam gears and the cam covers

This one, And BAG THE BOLTS!!! :mrgreen:

Once that is all loosened off, start removing the retaining brackets on the cam shafts, be sure not to damage the under side of them.

Once they are you

lay them of come card board, so you know where they go...

You will be left with this

Next, grab a wrench of your liking, and 2 small magnets or one large one if you don't have one of thows handy dandy magnetic tool picker up er.......

I am stumped on the name of theese things right now... the things that are over the valves and springs...

Put your tool on the thingys...

and this

now repeat 16 times...

and you will be left with this

now lay it all out...

And that is the end of Part/day one... that is as far as i can go till the tool i need arives...

This one

SNAP-ON GA317
Valve Keeper remover and installer

Part 2 will be on the removal of the Springs and seals...
Part 3 will be on the install of the springs and seals and everything else...
Part 4 will be the Test RUN!
Ruus wrote:
once an mr2 owner, always an mr2 owner. Its the love of the car that brings us together, not the owning of one.
cam_132
Papa '2

Re: How To? Valve Stem Seals

Postby vindicator » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:27 am

Nice work so far, the pictures are should be helpful to others. Has your engine been smoking pretty badly lately? Which method are you planning on using to keep the valves up? And are you going to be shimming your valves as well while you are in there? If you need shims, let me know because I have a bank of over 50 shims that I can help you with.

Also, if you don't mind making a couple additional notes, I would like to contribute for everybody. The A/C tensioner pulley has a 14mm nut on it iirc that locks the tensioner pulley on the belt so it should be loosened when adjusting the pulley. The cam caps (retaining brackets) should be stamped with a number showing where they go if you do get them mixed up so you don't have to worry. However, the valve lifters (buckets) or the things that you lifted with the magnets aren't numbered so its a good thing that you are keeping those in order. Don't forget to purchase new cam seals, valve cover gaskets, valve cover washers, and silicone if you haven't already.
I miss Canada.. :(
vindicator
Baby '2

Postby cam_132 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:33 am

vindicator wrote:Nice work so far, the pictures are should be helpful to others. Has your engine been smoking pretty badly lately? Which method are you planning on using to keep the valves up? And are you going to be shimming your valves as well while you are in there? If you need shims, let me know because I have a bank of over 50 shims that I can help you with.

Also, if you don't mind making a couple additional notes, I would like to contribute for everybody. The A/C tensioner pulley has a 14mm nut on it iirc that locks the tensioner pulley on the belt so it should be loosened when adjusting the pulley. The cam caps (retaining brackets) should be stamped with a number showing where they go if you do get them mixed up so you don't have to worry. However, the valve lifters (buckets) or the things that you lifted with the magnets aren't numbered so its a good thing that you are keeping those in order. Don't forget to purchase new cam seals, valve cover gaskets, valve cover washers, and silicone if you haven't already.

i forgot to put that 14mm bolt for the AC in there... but all you need is a 14mm and a 10mm socket's and 2 wrenches...

and maby a hammer...

Thanks, i do need shims, i measured them and they are at .203mm gap, which .25mm is max. and i think .10 is normal... so i need shims

i dont have a air compressor so i am going to use the Rope method... stuff about 6.5 to 7.5 ft of 1/4" into the combustion chamber...
it has brand new valve cover gaskets, i need to get new washers, and cam seals...

And i am thinking of geting after market adjustable cam gears... from HKS
Ruus wrote:
once an mr2 owner, always an mr2 owner. Its the love of the car that brings us together, not the owning of one.
cam_132
Papa '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:50 am

those things over the valves are called buckets :mrgreen:

good work. especial;ly on keeping all the buckets and such in the order they were removed. this is critical otherwise u may end up with a noisy head
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby 4agzeSE » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Good work and thanks for making a detailed thread about it.
-Matt
89 MR2 SuperCharger SuperEdition= SOLD
86 Corolla GTS= Daily Driver
4agzeSE
MR2 Veteran

Postby cam_132 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:07 pm

your welcome... and Matt you taught me well... after that write up you did for your engine, i thought it would be good for me...
Ruus wrote:
cam_132
Papa '2

Return to Do-it-yourself \ How-to