My mission to put a '93 Turbo back on the road

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Postby camshaft » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:35 am

Well not that way, look at the pictures they scare me. Using a engine hoist like that your end problem is the engine ends up on the hoist legs.

Use a A frame and lift the car over the engine and you have lots of room to pull the engine out on a skid, or dolly.

I made a A frame so that I could do it safely and properly.

4agze wrote:
camshaft wrote:Wow those engine removal pics are scary.

True sign of a first time mr2 engine removal job when you lower the engine onto the engine hoist legs

How else can it be done Cam?
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby 68style » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:17 am

What exactly scares you though? I was there when we were doing this and I was never for a second worried about anything?

It wasn't going to fall over... You would have loved watching me take the motor out of my '68 Mustang at my house without a cherrypicker years and years ago LOL
Hello, my name is: Chris
Current: 94 MR2, 74 Capri, 68 Mustang, 06 SV650S
Sold: 00 Celica, 94 Taurus SHO
RIP: 8J2 93 MR2 (Project Underway!)
68style
Junior '2

Postby 3sgte » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:50 am

I think that is a very smart way of doing it. If you look closely he puts a piece of wood across the legs of the engine hoist to support the weight. Why would you go and build skids and or carts out of wood when you have the strongest one right under the engine? Nice work Chris!!!
3sgte

Postby kungfucop » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:58 am

camshaft wrote:Wow those engine removal pics are scary.

True sign of a first time mr2 engine removal job when you lower the engine onto the engine hoist legs

It might not be the best way to do it, but Wing is an ex-MR2 owner himself (MKI & MKII) who has swapped a 93T engine into his own 91T (currently owned by Voltaire). So this definitely isn't his first time doing it.
- Jeff
Pale Yellow 91T
kungfucop
Baby '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:04 pm

i see where cam is coming from...when i do it i normally lift the car from a beam on the ceiling and lift the car with the engine on a dolly and roll it out but not everyone has that setup......

i would have used the cherry picker to lift the car like they did but dropped the engine on a dolly so u can roll it out without having to jack the car or anything....interesting method....does not seem too unsafe but a few extra steps were taken than it could have been......every mr2er to himself :D

keep up the good work on the project
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby camshaft » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Jack stands don't work well when the item in the saddle piece is not 90degrees to it.
They tend to slip or tip over...

If you think i'm on glue ... take that picture to any automotive instructor or send it to WCB.

I would enjoy to hear what they would say...

Beyond that its your life you only one one...
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby 68style » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Well, yah I was a bit queasy when I walked in and saw the jackstands myself, but they aren't the way they look in the picture, they have these big "hands" that go up and grip the rail that runs under the side of the car there, not your normal flat-topped ones.... and it's held in place under the middle of the front (out of view in pics) as well... I even gave it a good shove a few times and it didn't budge.

Anyway, I don't really want this to be a "how to work on a MR2" debate thread especially since I am not qualified to participate in or moderate one... it's just to post pics of building my car...

That said, the engine is swapped and ready to fire after transplanting the body harness... coolant is in and no leaks... have some more pics soon hopefully and maybe some video too when it fires up!
68style
Junior '2

Postby 2-yota » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:38 pm

camshaft wrote:If you think i'm on glue ... take that picture to any automotive instructor or send it to WCB.

I would enjoy to hear what they would say...

WCB would love to see some of the work sites I've been at. Don't stand above the 2nd to top step of the ladder ... everyone is balancing on the very top step of the ladder! No smoking on worksite ... the whole place is like a haze because they're all smoking! Wear earplugs when working with or around loud machinery/tools ... what? I can't hear what you're saying! And when you don't have the proper tool for the job, then a vise grip with a rigid arm is your best friend. Ouch! And don't forget, grinders work the best with the safety shield off and no goggles ... that way you can see exactly where you're cutting through! At least the welders are still wearing theirs!

Everyone I've seen just makes do with what they have to ingeniously get the job done! And incredibly, the projects do come together in the end. Must be experience. I might have to pick up some of their old cigarette butts and maybe some of it will rub off.
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:25 pm

any updates on the paint? is it almost done?
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby 68style » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:53 pm

As soon as the engine is fired and verified nothing major is wrong with it, painting will be finished up... I think it will be done early next week. I was hoping to take it to the Toyota show in Tacoma this weekend but just couldn't finish in time :( I'm still going though, got some parts to pick up in Renton too (fog-lights and a few other bits)
68style
Junior '2

Postby yeungun » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:36 am

68style wrote:
Anyway, I don't really want this to be a "how to work on a MR2" debate thread it's just to post pics of building my car...

Agreed 100%
89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Postby 4agzeSE » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:26 am

Great progress Chris. Keep up the good work!
-Matt
89 MR2 SuperCharger SuperEdition= SOLD
86 Corolla GTS= Daily Driver
4agzeSE
MR2 Veteran

Postby Saiko » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Just curious Chris, how much time do you spend on this project a week?

I have a parts car that I've been meaning to deal with for over a year, and I'm still not even done stripping it!

Dedication right thurr man, you're making really good progress. Keep us posted!
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby 68style » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:25 am

Started it up for the first-time, it's running good! Everything seems to be working great so far :)

I'll try to post some videos of it running soon...
68style
Junior '2

Postby Saiko » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:55 pm

How's the progress so far Chris? Did you also rebuild the motor?
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

PreviousNext

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads