My mission to put a '93 Turbo back on the road

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Postby 68style » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Hey Eric, it's coming along, should be mostly done this week... guess I've just been negligent and/or unmotivated about updating the thread.

It's all painted, wiring is in... just finishing up some wiring for the stereo and also the stupid wipers weren't working on the shell so figuring that part out right now...

All in all it's been a giant pain in the a$$ that I will never, ever do again, making sure everything is perfect or as near to perfect as possible. I've almost gotten to that point a few times where I've started to hate my own car and never wanted to see another MR2 as long as I lived, but it seems to finally all be coming together. I hope that if I sell it whoever ends up buying it appreciates the work that went into it because I'm certainly not making anything off it if you factor time = money hahaha!

I'm just missing a couple things... I need plastics for the frontend... wheelwell splash shields, the shields in the underneath in the front... and the frunk liner too. All of them were crushed in the accident and not present in the shell that I bought.
Hello, my name is: Chris
Current: 94 MR2, 74 Capri, 68 Mustang, 06 SV650S
Sold: 00 Celica, 94 Taurus SHO
RIP: 8J2 93 MR2 (Project Underway!)
68style
Junior '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:50 pm

i would love to see some good up close etc... photos of that paint job
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby 68style » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:32 pm

I'll see if I can take some this weekend, it's been covered in dust for the past month+ being in the shop and I haven't even driven it out of there yet + it hasn't had a cut polish...

I'm not sure how much more proof you need of the paintwork beyond Cameron and Dan's cars though... there's a reason both their cars win trophies at events :p
68style
Junior '2

Postby 68style » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Well, it was dirty from being outside for the provincial inspection it just had and it was raining out + there were a lot of cars around so my options were limited... but here it is... I'd say it's about 90% complete at this point... still needs lots of little things done here and there. As an interesting aside, I have NO idea what is up with my '94 SMG... because it says it's paint code 187 and the touchup paint for 187 doesn't match my car and we painted this MR2 code 187 and it's just flat out a different colour. You can see my car in the background and it's clearly got more "blue" in it than the '93 that's just been painted. I think my '94 is somehow not the correct colour? Very odd, we're scratching our heads over that one... but the '93's colour and the Toyota touch-up paint match... mine is definitely the odd one out? Anyway... couple pics:

68style
Junior '2

Postby 4agzeSE » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:15 pm

That's awesome Chris. Good to see a project go as such steady pace.

Is it possible your 94 has had a paint job at some point in its life?
-Matt
89 MR2 SuperCharger SuperEdition= SOLD
86 Corolla GTS= Daily Driver
4agzeSE
MR2 Veteran

Postby Bravo 5 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:26 pm

So which SMG colour do you like better??
1985 MR2, 1989 SC, 1991 n/a
Collector of MR2 memorabilia
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby Rev » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:38 pm

Looking great Chris! Can't wait to see it in person soon!
http://www.inkgenuityprint.com
Branding | Design | Print
Premium Printing. Competitively Priced

Ex-Owner - 1991 Superblack MR2 Turbo | VOLKS TE-37
Rev
Baby '2

Postby Saiko » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:08 am

Wa wa wee! That has come a very long way Chris! Looks very nice. I see the difference between the two, but they both look nice to me. Where was your 94 SMG originally from? Could a blazing sun (ie.] phoenix/texas) make the entire car's paint a little different?

Even though you say it's a PITA thing to fully re-do a car ground up, I bet it's a huge positive experience to have had. I did something opposite to putting together a car - I stripped one of every thing and it was quite a learning experience.

Keep us posted on your continued progress! I would love to see this in person. :twisted:
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby Cameron » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:20 am

Looks good! glad to see another MR2 has been saved

I felt the same way after getting mine painted, it was such a hastle etc etc. but give it a year probably not even and you'll probably feel a little differently about it (I Know I did)
95 MR2
Cameron
MR2 know it all

Postby bbarnumboy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:44 am

sweet looks good
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby 68style » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:07 am

Cameron wrote:Looks good! glad to see another MR2 has been saved

I felt the same way after getting mine painted, it was such a hastle etc etc. but give it a year probably not even and you'll probably feel a little differently about it (I Know I did)

It wasn't so much getting it painted, that's fine... and I didn't have to do anything LOL... but the major hassles (in order of pain in the ass from lowest to highest)

1) Swapping engines/transmission/suspension/whatever else
2) Besides the actual metal of the frontend and some systems like the power-steering etc., the frontend of the shell car is or was missing most of the pieces you need and of course my crashed car was hit in the front so it couldn't help :p I'm still missing a few things and I'm not looking forward to emailing Matt (sorry Matt, not because you're mean or anything) to find out how much that's gonna set me back
3) EVERYTHING on the shell car I bought had been messed with, we're talking down to screws on the headlight assembly being stripped to the window wipers not working because a pin on a plug had been bent somehow... all the wiring for the dash and stereo and everthing else was somehow cut up and sliced everywhere and had to all be redone... absolutely every single part of that car was fubarred in some way and almost everything from the crashed car had to be used in some way or another on the shell... I made a huge mistake buying that POS shell, should have just paid like $4k for a working MR2 with crappy paint.

You're right though, I drove it from Burnaby to Vancouver the other day... and some of that melted away... it's still a mess inside and it's not done yet but it actually drives perfectly, no squeaks or rattles... motor is perfect, transmission is WAY smoother than my own car with a nice light clutch (makes me wish I had swapped trannies!) and I'm honestly shocked. It drives better than my own car.
68style
Junior '2

Postby 68style » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:14 am

Well guys, here it is... prett ymuch done, just got to put the stereo in and the Toyota + Turbo badges on.... I still need a headlight surround, got the other plastics.... other than that it's pretty much ready to go. The tan interior + SMG looks kinda interesting together.

68style
Junior '2

Postby Cameron » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Are you going to swap your old interior into this one or?
95 MR2
Cameron
MR2 know it all

Postby 4agzeSE » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:03 pm

Great job Chris. A big round of applause for you. Hard work pays off!!
-Matt
89 MR2 SuperCharger SuperEdition= SOLD
86 Corolla GTS= Daily Driver
4agzeSE
MR2 Veteran

Re: My mission to put a '93 Turbo back on the road

Postby bbarnumboy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:37 pm

when do we get to see this work of art in person?
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Previous

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads