Journey to the dark side - K20 swap

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Journey to the dark side - K20 swap

Postby MRII » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:49 pm

I forgot about this section on the forum so I will post updates on it. I picked up a Canadian spec 1993 MR2 turbo that needs some work, head gasket leak, paint was horrible, etc. but I saw a diamond in the rough.

When I bought it (2007)

(2015)

One of the many interior upgrades, imo. The stock seats were getting old and I found some S2000 seats. I had a buddy (Oteck) fab up some adapter brackets to install the s2000 seats and sliders. Looks very nice and much more comfortable, plus they are 11 lbs. lighter per seat than the stock seats.

I also picked up a CF center arm rest and the infamous Oteck shifter surround

Last year the head gasket starting to leak internally again and I got sick of putting any more money into it. I could have gone with the Toyota gen4 3sgte or 2gr swap like Immortality but I remember how much fun I had with the h22a in the Prelude. The aftermarket support for the K-series is massive compared to the 3sgte, so I picked up a 2003 k20a2 that I plan on boosting and using the MR2 turbo tranny (E153) with the Hux kswap adapter kit.

So my plan is to get 400+whp and 300 tq. @ 18-20psi on 93 pump gas or e85. I do a lot of twisty roads and maybe autoX next year so powering out of corners is where I want the k20 to be strong in, I can always change this set up down the road. The aftermarket support for the k20 is huge and much cheaper compared to the 3sgte. I have almost all the parts needed, I would like to send a shout out to Ken for helping me get some of the parts.

Here's the list:
-stock K20a2
-replace the valve springs with Supertech dual 95lbs., seats, TI retainers and valve stem seals, pistons, rods, bearings
-RBC IM with stock k20a2 TB
-thermal gaskets for IM and TB
-1000cc injectors and BWR fuel rail
-BWR Lean exhaust manifold
-meth injection for cooling
-Ktuned goodies (swivel water neck, p/s & a/c delete, etc.)
-Clockwise motion oil pan baffle (waiting for)
-Turbosmart BOV and WG
-custom 5830 turbo
-Southbend stage 2 clutch
-Hux Kswap adapter kit
-A2W intercooler
-Supra fuel pump

The only thing I need to do to the MR2 drive train is beef up the inner cv joints, so I bought a upgrade kit. The E153 tranny is built to handle high power from the factory so bonus again.

The welds on the manifold (T3, 44mm wg) are sexy and Tanner at BWR is very easy to communicate with. I purchased it during their labor day sale with free shipping, ya!

The turbo I will be using is a custom built 5830 that was built by Chris a turbo guru. V-band for the dp connection. I might have to cut the rear bulk head and lose a little of my trunk space for the turbo to fit.

Test fitting.

Michael's MR2 and my MR2 from last summer.

MRII
Junior '2

Re: Journey to the dark side - K20 swap

Postby MRII » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Here is the Hux k-series swap kit and the cv inner joint upgrade kit.

I picked up the k20a2 from Garage5 last week. The motor I picked up was on it's last legs so I'm happy that I got it built right the first time. Below are a few pictures from the builder, check out the stretched timing chain compared to the new one after 180,000kms, which after talking to the builder must be way more kms on it.

Started to add MR2 friendly parts, I broke the thermostat housing while transporting the engine and installed the ktuned swivel neck.

Up next, I need to install a coolant fill. The MR2 one could be used.

I replaced the old,faded and ugly tail light with new lenses with clear corners. Took an hour to do with putting them in the oven at 200 degree for 8-10 minutes. Then spread a little and back in the oven for 5 mins at a time.

Swap meet and drive a couple of years ago with the BCMR2 group.

MRII
Junior '2

Postby MRII » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:15 pm

I also had to create an oil return hole in the aluminum oil pan and it was fairly easy up to the point were I had to start making the threads. I was a bit nervous that the tap would twist and damage the threads but it turn out great.

I am planning to JB welded the aluminum fitting in the oil pan but I keep thinking I should just get it welded. I'll decide in a couple of weeks what to do.

So the intake manifold I am using is from a 06+ civic si and can be bought for about $200 locally. Much better and proven to produce more hp & tq due to the larger body and longer runners. There is a better intake which is the rrc intake but the price jumps up and the gains are not worth the money. The rbc intake has a water passage on the right side that needs to be removed for it to fit on the k20a2 head. I deleted the uncut intake picture by accident so here a generic internet picture.

And what it looks like after cutting it with an angle grinder and using a flappy sanding disk to shape and smooth out the cut.

Next was installing the 1000cc injectors into a BWR fuel rail. The manual says to lightly coat the o-rings on the injectors with clean motor oil and they slide into the rail effortlessly.

My MR2 didn't come with a/c or p/s so the k20 doesn't need it either. I got the a/c & p/s delete kit that relocates the alternator to the bottom.

After reading on the kseries forums that the ktuned supplied top alternator bolt sheers off in the block from vibration due to (?) lack of the automatic tensioner, I decided to not use it and get a oem bolt and I highly recommend this because it is a huge pita to remove the broken piece. I like to prevent anything that may cause me to have a bad day so I fabricated an alternator brace to alleviate the stress on the top bolt. I just need to find someone to weld the 2 pieces of the brace together.

What it looks like now. Exhaust manifold is next.

An old picture from 4 years ago at Spanish Banks.

MRII
Junior '2

Postby Goopi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Always one of my favourite local MR2s. I hope to see progress through summer!
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby 2-yota » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:20 pm

Nice and well documented!

Your old AFM will live on in my spare parts bin!
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby MRII » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:44 am

Goopi wrote:Always one of my favourite local MR2s. I hope to see progress through summer!

Thanks Goopi, I'm actually quite far in the build. I am catching up on posts but it should be ready to go get dp, intercooler piping, wiring and tuned by next month.
Were you driving north on hwy 15 from the border last Saturday? I thought I saw your MR2.
MRII
Junior '2

Postby MRII » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 am

2-yota wrote:Nice and well documented!

Your old AFM will live on in my spare parts bin!

Thanks 2-yota, I want to document this chapter on my MR2 in case anyone wants to do this swap. One of the few cars I have owned that keep me smiling.
Hopefully we can meet up again this summer.
MRII
Junior '2

Postby MRII » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 am

Adding a little bling. I test fitted the "lean" exhaust manifold and one of the runners was very close to the oil filter so I wrap the area with heat wrap and rechecked. Looks good.

The money shot.

The engine harness is next. I'm not going to post any picture of this because I'm just connecting it to the sensors. Bill at Indy will do the rewiring to work in the MR2.

On one of the many back roads in fort Langley a few years ago.

MRII
Junior '2

Postby immorality » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:25 am

Cool stuff!

Is there a boss on the inside of the oil pan for that oil return hose? It looks like you barely have any threads there! For the oil filter, you could run lines to a remote filter and put an oil cooler in the intercooler vent. With the heat from a turbo, an oil cooler might not be a bad idea.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby MRII » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 am

immorality wrote:Cool stuff!

Is there a boss on the inside of the oil pan for that oil return hose? It looks like you barely have any threads there! For the oil filter, you could run lines to a remote filter and put an oil cooler in the intercooler vent. With the heat from a turbo, an oil cooler might not be a bad idea.

Thanks immorality, I'm either planning to Jb weld the aluminum fitting to the pan or getting it welded. The pan and fitting are aluminum so it should work out, I need to see where the cv shaft is going be located and adjust the fitting accordingly so the return line doesn't touch the cv shaft. I thought about a remote filter and placing it in the old intercooler opening and it may still be an option.
MRII
Junior '2

Postby MRII » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:46 am

For the k20a2 throttle body to work with the rbc im, I need to install an adapter. I also did a mini wire tuck to hide the fuel injector harness that you can see in the first picture.

Test fitting the tb and it's all good.

A cruise to Squamish with Joe, Sam, Michael and Thomas about 3 years ago.

MRII
Junior '2

Postby Goopi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:25 pm

MRII wrote:Thanks Goopi, I'm actually quite far in the build. I am catching up on posts but it should be ready to go get dp, intercooler piping, wiring and tuned by next month.
Were you driving north on hwy 15 from the border last Saturday? I thought I saw your MR2.

I've gone a few times this month so far. If it had old school gold Jeep wheels, it was me. :)
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby MRII » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 am

I did a trim and shave on the throttle body.

IACV sensor - no way!
Evap sensor - hell no!
Map sensor relocate - that's what I talking about!
IACV delete plate - hooray!

All torqued and almost ready to start installing the k20 swap kit parts.

Another side project, I had an aftermarket antenna on the MR2 that was plain ugly so I picked up a S2k antenna assembly and modified it to work with the MR2. (removed circuit board, rewired, drilled new opening and a short antenna)

Mission back roads drive with Ross's MR2.

MRII
Junior '2

Postby sprinterkb » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Sorry but any Honder engine in an MR2 is the anti-Christ. :roll:
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Typical ... :sleeping: . ^ Boring old school comment not needed.

We have a very innovative local community, first a 2GR swap and now a K20 swap - awesome. Keep up the good work!
RePete
Grandfather '2

Next

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads