Duy ' s 95 build

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Duy ' s 95 build

Postby driftingsw21 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:33 am

Looks like I need to be committed to the crazy house, as I got another mr2. This time it's a 95 sunroof.

You know how you just get bored and randomly look on craigslist from time to time to see if there are any cool cars you can buy for "cheap". Well I was really bored over a month ago while working and found this car. Now a wiser man would say no idiot you just got one there should be no reason to buy another one and especially so soon. But what can I say I'm far from wise. I texted the owner back and forth for a good month getting details sorting things out. Then once the opprotunity finally showed it self I got a rental car and drove from NYC to Boston MA to look at the car. What I saw was a beautiful body with low miles on the chassis only 57k. I feel kind of bad as I already logged 700 miles onto the car driving it around this week.

Then there always has to be a kicker right, the engine bay made me want to vomit. His "friend" had the bright idea to install a turbo onto a 5sfe. Intall was done well in every way wrong that it could be. How does the car run is beyond me but it runs for now.

Things the car needs a little tlc and a new engine swap. Oh and got to get it back on the right coast.
97 SC300 Because DD with some space
95 Sunroof Because Show Car
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Re: Duy ' s 95 build

Postby driftingsw21 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:11 pm

The saga begins. It might just be my luck but I can never buy a red mk2 that is driving ready it seems. My first mr2 the clutch died first day I owned it, the 94 well alternator died first day i owned that, now the 95 I think the engine just blew up or something bad happened to it. Stuck between Boston and New Jersey now so I don't have any tools to trouble shoot what might be wrong. Needless to say, it's been an adventure. Car was going to Prime anyhow this just made things more clear how badly I needed it to go there. Hopefully when I get it shipped all the way back I won't be having any of these issues.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Double post I'll reserve this spot for more pictures.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:31 pm

Well, we all need multiple MR2 projects. I have no doubt that Prime will take good care of you.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby macatak » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:26 am

Sweet looking ride, Duy. Should be pretty amazing with a Gen 4 in the back.
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:30 pm

To be honest I have never attracted so much attention with a mr2 before ever. Every where I went I would have people stare at the car. Funniest moment was when I had the car on the tow truck and stopped to get something to drink. 4 teenagers jumped out of a car and asked if it was an MR2 and busted out the camera phones and started to take pictures. Kind of surprised this car attracts so much attention. Maybe I'm just jaded cause I've had so many mr2's I don't notice all the looks. But every time I park the car step away to have a smoke before I go in somewhere I see people swarming the car and just walking around it. Must be the lack of any badges that screws with people.

I don't plan just on putting in a 4th gen into the car. Have a few cool things up my sleeve for this one. I really have no intention on daily driving this car. Kind of hard with the body kit and want to keep the miles low on it to some extent. This one is the "collector" out of the bunch. Also anyone know if the mk2's ever came with a power sunroof??? I thought the sunroofs just pop up and don't roll back. I think the previous owner cut a hole in a perfectly good hardtop to install a sunroof. :bash:
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby Goopi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 pm

They weren't offered with a power sunroof, so yeah you have a one of a kind sunroof! :P
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby Bravo 5 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:02 pm

The first thing I noticed was the sunroof. You can always tell because the aftermarket ones are much smaller than factory so they look oddly out of place with all the extra roof around them. Also you may want to test it for leaks before driving it in the rain or spraying it hard with a hose.
1985 MR2, 1989 SC, 1991 n/a
Collector of MR2 memorabilia
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:32 pm

Well the sunroof leaks a little bit. Had the car parked outside for a few days and it has a few small leaks at the corners of the sunroof. Any idea how to fix this problem? Now to track down all the parts that I will need for the swap and then some. Doing 80% of a car build right after buying it is a little intimidating. Let alone how much I'm spending just shipping the car around the country to get work done. The good it should be a little faster then a standard 4th gen build. Then soon as it comes home I will be tearing apart the suspension to do more work. I'm so happy the 94 is good to go now and wont have to mess with that car for awhile. MR2's sending you to the poor house one car at a time.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:52 pm

Ordering parts and more parts for the car. Right now I'm just hording parts and getting them all shipped to Prime. Sooooo many parts to buy, Pics when it's all assembled.

Just got 10 ft of gold foil to keep the engine bay cool. Ok I'll be honest it's to make it look like a NASA space probe. Cost me 260 us for all the material, got it from Koolmat.com, they are a distributor for thermal protection inc. Paul was the guy that invented the stuff that later on got ripped off by DEI. If it's good enough for NASCAR and F1 (what it was originally designed for) it's good enough for me. Would you guys believe F1 used to actually gold plate parts of their cars before this stuff came out.

Also ordered tripple gauge pod from Rexspeed http://www.rexpeed.net/2012/en/product_ ... ?serial=39
I hope it works. For the most part it's going to be a band-aid solution till something else that I know of comes out to market. Hopefully it'll hit the market later this year.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:56 am

Change of Plans for the car it seems. Looks like I'll be shipping it home instead of over to prime. I negotiated a sweet deal with Steve at Isshi Motors, he will get my Spyder in trade for free labor for a Beams swap into the car. Why Beams and no turbo? Well that's the other reason why I wont be putting a turbo in this car. The money I had saved up for a very nice 4th gen swap well it's going into this. No point in having 2 turbo charged cars right.
Notice how I'm shaking my head and holding a giant stack of Receipts well it's for a good reason. Just Bought a MINT 95 Turbo with full options. I brought Alex along for a second opinion, moral support, and well to stop me from shooting my self in the foot and maybe talk me out of buying the car. Well he was of no help and even gave the car a solid A- rating.

Funny Part I know the owner of the car and how nuts he is on buying the right car and maintaining it just right that I didn't even bother looking at the car instead spent the entire time drooling over it's stable mate. I think the mr2 was in good company.

Another Photo of the car with my 94 in the photo also. I swear I need to sell the 94 to make room for two 95's once I get these both home, I'll have a hard time deciding which to drive. Ah hell with it they are never going to be sold so I'm driving both.

Just for those whom are curious no I don't make a giant pile of money. I just had alot saved up to buy the perfect 2nd gen mk2. Worked very hard to save even more money to do the 4th gen build. It's all about leverage what you have and making the right choices in life in regards to what you want. I don't spend a fortune in clothes, don't have kids, nor an expensive girlfriend to support, I travel alot for work so moved back in with family cutting cost further. I don't have student loans, nor do I have credit card debt either. Yes, I'm an idiot for buying so many MR2's in such a short period of time. Hell I bought this one literally 10 days after I bought the other 95. Why cause amazing cars like this don't just show up all the time. So the sacrifices must be made to buy what has been the very best example of a stock turbo I have ever seen. The fact that it's also a 95 with every option minus the factory key fob helps sooth the pain from the massive headache I had when I handed over the money.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:47 pm

You're a mad man!
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby driftingsw21 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:03 pm

Didn't I say if I can't buy my perfect MK2 I'll build one. Well looks like I'm going to do both build my perfect MK2 for show, and I happen to have bought my perfect MK2 to "drive". I had the money saved up to cash out a FRS well that test drive was very disappointing for "new" car money. So it's going into two very nice mr2's ok correction 3 very nice mr2's yea I kinda went well over the original budget. I'm not Crazy just ummm focused and I know what I like. It's not like I need a bigger car or anything.
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Postby macatak » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:51 pm

:ShakeHead:
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby driftingsw21 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Come on Russ and Duncan I'm not off my rocker, you guys would do it too if you could. Ok I know it seems "bad" this sickness. But I swear I did not at all plan on buying either of the 95's. Oh god if I only knew Tim was going to sell his black 95 I wouldn't of bought the other 95 in NYC. Atleast I'm now "trying" to sell the 94 and I got rid of the Spyder. Worst case secenerio I'm an idiot that now owns 3 mk2's, and have to park one off site. But which one to park away from home where I could stare at them in my garage is the question now.....
driftingsw21
Baby '2

Next

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads