Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: My Mk2 MR2

Postby Goopi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:16 am

Interesting, whats next? :D
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Nothing in the near future, since it's coming close to storage time. Gonna 'borrow' some of my dad's jackstands from work, disconnect the battery, and cover her with a car cover and heavy duty tarp. Hopefully the weather will stay good so that'l happen in October or even November. Anything else I'll need to do? I've heard of draining fluids, but I'm not sure which ones. As for winter projects, I'm going to save up enough money for my 94 tail lights and Eibach Prokit springs. And if I have some extra money laying around, I may get some Koni Yellows earlier than planned. I heard that the Konis are a super smooth ride :P

As for next spring, I'll probably keep her the way she is now and tackle some engine mods next winter. Looking at a good intercooler system and a cold air intake. I was thinking of exhaust, but I'd like her to look as stock as possible to the untrained MR2 eye :P Anything out there that looks stock, but isn't? :P
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:46 pm

I store mine and rather than drain fluids and whatnot, just run it once a week, idle it and rev it up for a few minutes and hold it there, shift through all your gears. I drive mine around the block weekly as well to take the rust off the rotors and get things moving, the gear oil in the transmission and whatnot. Just put fresh gas in before you insure it again next spring, and change the oil. Cheapest and easiest way to do it, imo. Also, keeps things moving which is better for it than just sitting for six straight months.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Hm thanks Sarah, sounds like a plan for me :] But I'm unsure whether I should keep it insured or not, since my dad told me I'd have to pay something for cancelling part of a term or something? Something about AirCare too, might be tricky. If the car isn't insured during the winter, it'll be a lot cheaper; $240 a month is pretty hefty =\ I just jope I can keep my plates, I like the combination :P He's gonna talk to his agent at ICBC soon, but at least I know how to keep the car in good shape.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 pm

That is a lot to keep it insured if you're not driving it.

It's a fee for cancelling your Autoplan, but it's small in comparison to what you'd be paying all winter. I think around $30-$50.

AirCare, if it expires, will have to be done again before you insure it anyway, it has to be done yearly. If you re-insure before it expires (say it expires in March, insure it again just before it expires) you won't have to go through again until next year. Not a big deal if your stock exhaust is intact. :)

You should have no problem keeping it in shape, like I said, running it often is the best thing for it. If you do choose to completely store it though, there are lots of good guides online on steps to take when storing a car for the winter season. Make sure, though, if you do what I do, and run it during cold weather, that you have good coolant and it's topped up, and also if it gets REALLY cold (below freezing) don't run it, you risk cracking your rad or popping a freeze plug if you do. Good luck!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:19 pm

My dad wanted a stock radio in his 94 4runner, so he took mine and gave me his old Sony unit. Not completely installed yet, just need to get some adapters for the harnesses for both our cars. Free radio FTW =D
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:34 am

Weather lately hasn't been too good for driving the car, but today, there was a sunny break, so I quickly washed and dried the car, and took it back to Killarney for another few quick shots. She's gonna look a lot different in April or May, I promise :P

DEFINITELY in need of some lowering springs :P That's one of the 2 winter projects. The other one is the 94 tail lights. Anybody know where to get Eibach Prokits? Best price, company, shipping, etc.?

And now she's gonna sit like this until I clear out enough space in my grandparent's garage to keep her there during the snow and slush season.

Image heavy post, sorry :P
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:04 am

Ah, that 16 valve turbo decal looks awesome!
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:33 am

I think twosrus sell both the prokit & sportlines for about $250
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:55 pm

immorality wrote:I think twosrus sell both the prokit & sportlines for about $250

Hm, that's a good price, thanks :P

SSJMR2 wrote:Ah, that 16 valve turbo decal looks awesome!

Lol thanks, I have one extra in black too ;]

Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Do avoid the Eibach Sportlines though. :P
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Yeah, that's what I got from Pete on MR2.com. Do you know why? o_O

Oh and also, I was on twosrus and figured that I might as well get the 93 shift lever too. Do I need a drop plate too, or is that just for MK1s? I'm also assuming I need a 93+ knob too. But I got that covered, I got a used 94 shift knob coming my way :P Paid $100 shipped for it though =\ Or I can finally use this as a reason to get my TRD ball knob that I so dearly want too :P
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:53 pm

You do not need a drop plate for the 93 lever, it's a straight swap. The drop plate it used when relocating the attachment point of the shift cable on the lever (ie. when using a JonO kit, or TRD lever).
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby Goopi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:26 pm

kakucaekz wrote:Yeah, that's what I got from Pete on MR2.com. Do you know why? o_O

Well actually, you can get them if you prefer, but you need a very good set of struts with them as well, or else I can guarantee that your ride will handle like its on cut springs or blown coilovers if you don't change the struts.

Most reviews say that with a lower lip or side skirt, you might have to be careful while daily driving, which ruins a daily driver vehicle in my opinion. The springs are too soft but allow you to get just a bit more than half an inch of a drop. Then again, if you're only looking for dropping it low and maintaining performance, I highly recommend coilovers. :D
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm not looking for performance really, I highly doubt that I'll track or even autoX this car. I mainly want it to look good and ride smooth, which is why I'm looking at Koni yellows down the road. But until then, it'll be on stock shocks and ProKits. If I want to autoX something I'll just pick up some beater 240SX or something and run it into the ground, not gonna break things in my MR2. :P
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

PreviousNext

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads