My Mk2 MR2

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: My Mk2 MR2

Postby Goopi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:55 am

By performance, I was mostly referring to overall best performing.

I can't remember if I'm correct on this, but Pete had Eibach Sportlines before, and also a full coilover setup, but is now running Koni's + TRD's (I'm not 100% sure on any of this actually), so to get some accurate straight forward answers I'll let him chime in on this one, after all hes the one who has had first hand experience with both combos.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

Lol I'm planning on using Eibach Prokit + Koni Yellows anyways, I may fool around with more springs, shocks and coilovers later on though.
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 am

Its always fun to experiment. :D
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:14 pm

Got my 94 Turbo OEM shift knob today, used but in decent shape. I LOVE the weight of it, can't weight to try it on the 93 lever =D

Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:39 pm

I learned the hard way today, why you should completely close your doors. Otherwise your battery will die, and you'll end up having to push the car up a slope into the garage, while being sick and out in the cold. This includes having the car nearly crush your brother and father if you weren't able to push it up in one shot.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Heh heh, that would be funny if it didn't hurt so bad! :P

kakucaekz wrote:Lol I'm planning on using Eibach Prokit + Koni Yellows anyways, I may fool around with more springs, shocks and coilovers later on though.

First part is a good plan, not so much the second. I inherited coilovers on my current SW20 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't want to swap them out for a conventional spring/strut setup (my deuce is a DD). It's been two years now. But there's also not a day that goes by that I don't look at its perfect stance and think it can't be beat for looks & ride height.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:41 pm

All those double negatives confused me o_O So you're saying coilovers > springs + struts?
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:52 pm

For most daily drivers its springs + struts > coilovers.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Oh OK, and coils are good for show? I seeeeeeeee. In other news, DB8 has a set of kouki tails with white centre panel for $320 shipped. Real tempting, but I still owe ~$500 in parts. I hope that set doesn't sell for another 2 months D:
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Coilovers aren't only good for show, they are amazing for handling as well. Its just the fact that it goes beyond the point to where the ride comfort goes down sharply when you want to achieve the maximum performance for your handling. This will also require precise tuning for each side to get it to work properly or else if its not adjusted correctly, it barely performs well as all.

It's something that you really don't need.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Been a while since I put a picture in here :[

I've made my decision, largely with your guys' input to go with springs and struts. Coilovers really make the car look good and handle well, but I'd rather save some money and keep my ride as smooth as possible. And in case you don't see my posts on MR2 Board, I've found out that my car has aftermarket struts already, so I won't be needing the Konis until those either blow or I have enough money. Speaking of money, I've landed about 20 hours per week at my job starting January, so that oughta help with my funding woes =D That's quite a bit for my workplace; only a couple people work 40 hours a week and the rest usually only have 10-20.

Also going to install new LEDs in the gauge cluster this weekend on both cars, hopefully the hotspots won't be as bad and I'll actually be able to see my needles at night with these upgraded LEDs lol. Also decided that my spoiler needs a repaint; I waxed it a bit too much in the good weather season and part of the clear coat started peeling away in one of the corners. Might as well repaint though; there's a section on the wing that has deeeep scratch marks that need to be filled in too. More also, I'm gonna replace the headlight housings later on too, with something more quality, eg Daniel Stern H4s or Hella H4s. Got a pair of 6000k HIDs waiting for those, hopefully the cut off will be nice enough.

Driving an automatic sucks, it's boring and I still find myself downshifting sometimes out of habit. Plus, I'm kinda sick of the Integra, I want something like an SC300 or a Celica for a daily. Although some people say the 7th gen Celica looks girly, which is the one I want D: I disagree, I think it looks pretty awesome eh.

Oh, and some pictures just for the hell of it. On the other side of the wall of boxes is our Honda Pilot, which we take on trips and outings. Speaking of outings, ski season is here! =D

Cancelled the insurance on Thursday, gonna AirCare her in March and then re-insure her right after. Got my replica Japanese plates on right now in place of the BC plates =D

Long post.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Oteck » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:02 pm

cut off using halogen housing will always wind up terrible, i've tried it with my rev6 and it's not close to being as nice as the hid's on tony's MDX. if you want it done nicely get the Pegasus projectors or make your own by hacking up a egay housing and putting real hid projectors like the Pegasus kit. this is very important especially to the low beams since you can be an annoyance to the road. for fogs or hi beams it doesn't need to be as sharp
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:57 pm

I was looking at the Pegasus projectors, but the problem about those is that there are no high beams on them. =\
Edit: Ah screw it, it seems like putting HIDs in is a pain in the ass anyways. I'll just stick to halogens and a good housing. I just want to replace my cheapo eBay ones with something of higher quality. I'm assuming the cut-off with something like Hella H4s with a 5000k bulb will be pretty good? Any other good brands of halogen housings?

Also, got the brighter cluster lights in, I'll get some better pics with an actual camera tomorrow; this is just a crappy iPod one.

Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby Oteck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Osram Silvanias or Night breaker. bulbs with those hid like specs are garbage
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks Oteck, I'll look into those. Are PIAAs and Nokyas any good for bulbs?

Also, the dash colour is something in between

and

Day 4 of waiting for 94 tails.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

PreviousNext

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads