My Mk2 MR2

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

My Mk2 MR2

Postby kakucaekz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 pm

So summer is coming to an end, which means it's getting close to storing away my new summer toy. 1991 MR2 Turbo, made the same year I was born =D So my car and I are the same age, which makes her even more special. Most likely local too, and I was born in Vancouver just under 20 years ago. Before I get on to the pics, I just wanna say that I love this car, and will never EVER sell her, for anything. She's that special to me. ANYWAYS, on to some pics. I have lots, over 140 in my photobucket, so be aware :P And some story telling too. All the pics will be in my photobucket:

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk26 ... ota%20MR2/

First off, got her in Feb. 2011. A used car salesman picked up the car after it sat for about 2 years, untouched, and while driving it home, the clutch went out. So he called my dad, who's a mechanic, if he can have the car towed to him so he can fix it. At the time, I was looking for any standard car to learn how to drive standard on; I was on craigslist all the time looking for Preludes, Civics, Integras, but none of those really stood out to me. You see them on the streets everywhere. Then when my dad told me he had an MR2 at his shop, I went over right away to take a look. Fell in love instantly. I've always liked the 90's styling of cars, and this was no exception. I asked the salesman if I could buy the car as is, and offered him $3500. He bought it off the PO for $3200, and agreed to my deal. Best day, EVER.

Here's a few pics of the day I bought her.

Since the transmission didn't work, I first got the old flywheel machined and got a new pressure plate. I have lots of pics of this, but I'll just post one of the transmission and the engine dropped.

Then we replaced the nasty old brakes, just the rears.

Then replaced the fart cans the PO slapped on with the stock exhaust he thankfully kept.

And this is my daily driver next to the two :D

Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Re: My Mk2 MR2

Postby kakucaekz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Washed, waxed and polished her, and soon took her to my old high school for a few pics. You get cookies if you can guess where this is :P

Then a sad day, I scraped her while driving in to my car port. I'm more used to backing into stalls, and was still getting used to driving without power steering at the time :(

Crappy touch up paint job FTW xD I'll look at replacing that panel when I have more money and free time. Not high on the priority list.

Afterwards, I got some 93 wheels with tires for a decent price of $400. The guy who sold it to me talked about BCMR2, and his name was Jerry. Any of you guys know him? Anyways, one of the wheels was bent, and the rear tires were worn down to crap (dare I say burnouts? :P), so I had to get the wheel redone and 2 fresh tires. Then I cleaned and clear coated the other 3 rims so that the newly done wheel wouldn't look out of place.

The day I slapped those wheels on, there was a coffee meet in Vancouver. I live literally up the hill from the place, so I went, just to meet a few of you guys. Gotta say, Russ' V6 sounded like a monster, and all the cars there were super nice. A couple amateur pics of those:

Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Then I got around to some mods, not gonna touch the engine for a while, replacing the transmission was already enough of a nightmare lol. I'll look at cleaning out the engine when I get around to having enough money for engine mods. I want the CT20b turbo, an intercooler and maybe a downpipe + exhaust if it's either A. able to pass aircare or B. super easy to replace so I can swap it back to stock before going in to aircare and putting it back straight after. I doubt any of those are true though, so I'll look into other engine mods lol. Maybe an intake, although I was told it's not worth the money.

Anyways, first thing I did was replace my gauge cluster lights with blue LEDs. It's nothing like Oteck's amazing custom cluster, but it'll do :P

I felt kinda guilty about putting all my stuff on the hood of my dad's Trans Am :P

Then I replaced the headlights and bumper lights.

And yes, I put it on the hoist to install the lights, cuz I'm a princess and don't wanna get myself dirty (JK it was just there, so I used it)

So I installed some decent 5000k halogens and here it is. I got 6000k HIDs, but I didn't put them on for fear of being bothered by the cops. I'll hang on to them for now, I may sell them in the future.

Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Now here is some bad impulsive buying. I had some leftover money in my Paypal, so of all things to get, I got customized Japanese license plates. My friend hates them and thinks it's completely ricer, but I like it :P It'll look sick in photoshoots, IMO.

And now just today, I got some yellow fog bulbs, so I slapped those in.

Looks like an OEM light in the daytime

But at night, oh man, do they ever look sexy.

That's most likely gonna be it for this summer, I'll probably get some of the "bigger" mods done in the wintertime. I plan on going with 94+ tails, Eibach Prokit lowering springs, and a nicer steering wheel, like a Celica or MRS. Also plan on getting a nice radio and speakers. And later on, a 94+ wing, 95 lip and maybe solid side moulding/sidemarker delete.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby yeungun » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:03 am

kakucaekz wrote: You get cookies if you can guess where this is :P

Does Dave Louden still teach there?
89 MR2
yeungun
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:41 am

yeungun wrote:
kakucaekz wrote: You get cookies if you can guess where this is :P

Does Dave Louden still teach there?

I don't know lol, he was when I graduated a few years ago.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 am

kakucaekz wrote: I just wanna say that I love this car, and will never EVER sell her, for anything. She's that special to me.

I'm going to hold you to this! :mrgreen:
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby Goopi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:22 am

I'm liking all the pictures, and should I mention the time being put into putting quality parts on it. How is the gauge cluster lighting up, any hot spots?

If you do end up replacing those headlights, you might want to look into Cibie, they're site is down for a few weeks though.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/prod ... ducts.html

Or you can go all out and go for these! :wink:
http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=464
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Very nice car, mine is very similar, and I will never part with it either. It has cost me a lot of blood, money, time, work, tears, and effort but because of that, I simply can't let it go. You'll have a lot more adventures with her ahead, let me tell you. Enjoy every second you're in the driver's seat, it's all worth it in the end.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby redMr2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Do your headlights have high beam?
and where did you get it?
redMr2
Baby '2

Postby kakucaekz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:25 pm

SSJ, the cluster does have it's hot spots, but it doesn't really bother me too much. As for the headlights, those look pretty sick :P

Oh man Sarah, this summer of driving this car has been amazing. Every time I go to get into it, I can't help but smile. There's just something special about MR2s. :D

RedMR2, I got the housing from eBay for about $20 and got the halogens locally, and they do have high beam.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Haha I was looking through my photobucket today and noticed I missed posting my T-tops. I tinted them with help from my dad, and by help I mean he told me what to do and I did it lol. Used 35% tint, so some light will come in, but at the same time it'll be noticeably darker.

Oh, I did this while part of the car port was being repaved, cemented, whatever I don't know, which rendered my MR2 stuck for that weekend, which really sucked :( Although I thought it was the best for her, since there is no way I'm leaving her parked overnight for 2 nights out on the streets. Driving my daily oven of an Integra made me appreciate the T-tops even more haha.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Got meself a new steering wheel :D

Got it off a 93 Paseo at Ralph's, I was looking for a Celica wheel, but they only had 91s there and they all have Celica embossed on it. Nothing fancy like Oteck's little collection, but it's nicer than the one I have now. But this one is plastic, i'll probably get it reupholstered in leather later.
Dalton
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby 2-yota » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:25 am

kakucaekz wrote:I just wanna say that I love this car, and will never EVER sell her, for anything. She's that special to me.

Car looks pretty clean and straight ... great find! Kind of a win-win situation. Used car salesperson gets to make a few bucks for his troubles and you get a car of your dreams plus you and your dad can fix it cheap.

Thanks for sharing all your pictures. Your new owners' enthusiasm kind of reminds myself of how I once felt many years ago (around the time you were born). I still remember going to Regency Toyota in '92 when they had two white 91T's on lot. I sat in it and literally melted into the seat (who knows, that could even be your car ... we can try bum-printing the seat). At that moment in time, I just "knew". I knew what I wanted, I knew I had to have it, and I knew I had no money. That really sucked. Honda-powered myself for a couple more years before biting my teeth and getting my 93T from West Coast Toyota. That car loan nearly killed this university student but in the end, it's always worth it.

Anyhow, I really need to go get a day-permit to drive my car sometime this year before the dry weather leaves us and feel that magic once again.

And don't believe what they say about only diamonds being forever ... so are MR2's!!
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks 2-yota :P I guess I'm still super stoked that I got an MR2 :P

Installed my wheel today, looks a lot nicer than the old one for sure =D

Dalton
kakucaekz