Making my 87 like new again!

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Making my 87 like new again!

Postby slickdeuce » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:50 pm

Well the time has finally come for me to retire my MR2 from daily service. For the last 7 1/2 years it has been the most fun daily driver that I have ever owned. I have even used it for the last few years to tow my aluminum boat around. In October it blew the head gasket and forced me to buy another vehicle. I got lucky and found an 83 Toyota 2wd pickup with only 155,000K on it. I also bought another Mr2, an 85, that had the engine rebuilt about 60-80,000K ago, but has a nasty noise coming from the trans. The plan is to take all the good parts from the 85 and make the 87 like new again. At the moment I have already removed the engine and trans from both cars, here are some pics.
'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Re: Making my 87 like new again!

Postby immorality » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Looking forward to those pics!
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby slickdeuce » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 pm

How do I post pictures? This is not as easy as i thought it would be!
'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Postby Saiko » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:01 am

imageshack.us for the easiest way to post imo,

or create an account with flickr.com and use [img*]URL[/img*] tags, without the *
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby slickdeuce » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:22 am

Taking engine/trans out of car, no ploblem! Putting pictures of such car in forum, problem! :x So I have the pictures up on flickr, now how do i get the pictures to show up on this forum? Ideally i would like to have the picture in the forum instead of having the link to the picture. Also how do I make a picture of my car as my avatar?
'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Postby immorality » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:35 am

[ img ]between these tags put the link to the picture[/img]

such as [ img ]http://www.somewebpage.com/mypicture.jpg[/img]

just remove the spaces I put in the first img tag.

For the avatar, click on the User Control Panel at the top of the forums, then go to the profile tab and click avatar from the side. You can then either upload from your computer or link from a file that is already hosted on the net.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 am

Looking forward to reading this!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby slickdeuce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 am

Here are some pictures of the donor car before I started taking it apart

Some pics of the suspension removal, Lower balljoints, tie rod & control arm, brakes etc.

Here is where I disconnected the shift linkage. The clevis pin needs to be removed and the tab holding the cables to the bracket need to be removed.
I disconnected the flexline for the slave cylinder where it attaches to the body also, sorry no pic.

Here is the view with most of the exhaust removed

Coolant hoses disconnected. Careful, this is where the eye protec comes in useful

The Magic Moment of Separation

Then the wiring harness, thermostat housing, slave cylinder & bracket, and starter were removed
Can you spot the broken EVAP BVSV attached to the thermostat housing? Anyone have a spare one of these kicking around?

And now the engine can be separated from the trans.

All of these photos were taken with my phone so please excuse the poor quality of some of them. Hope this works!
'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Postby Saiko » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:35 am

Album Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42119004@N ... 337619035/

the [img.]picture.jpg[/img.] tags require the direct link to the picture itself. Not sure if that made sense. More pics! Nice project you got yourself there, as well as the work space.
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Postby slickdeuce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 am

I think I just figured it out, let me edit that whole mess!
'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Postby slickdeuce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:15 am

Here is another angle of the broken EVAP BVSV, if anyone has an extra one of these I would love to get my hands on it.

'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Postby slickdeuce » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 pm

Well i just spent a good chunk of time updating the progess on this project and typing the story to go along with the new pics, and then when i went to submit the update it wanted me to relog in, and everything was lost! I thought that, that had been fixed on this site :x .
If you go to the link to the album you can see the pics. I'll repost the story to go along with them when i get more time!
'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Postby bbarnumboy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:39 pm

good luck! this should be good. i will double check if i have the part you are looking for.
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby slickdeuce » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 am

Well, it's been way longer than I anticipated, but i wouln't of been happy with doing a halfa** job! The donor motor that had been "rebuilt" a mere 50K kms ago needed to be re-sealed and some other gaskets replaced instead of being reused. Unfortunately they forgot to install the rubber grommets under the acorn nuts that holds the valve cover on, and didn't bother to replace the shaft seal on the distributor so there was a good amount of oil everywhere. I also noticed that they had mixed up some of the bolts that hold on the oil pan, timing cover backing plate, and spark plug valley cover, not to mention that they used generic bolts instead of new studs and nuts on the oil pump pick-up. The clearances on all the main and rod bearings were measured and within spec of a newer engine. I torqued every bolt on this engine that has a spec for peace of mind. I also cleaned the engine bay while the engine/trans was removed, replaced the axle seals and shift bushings at the trans end. All I need to finish is the exhaust and then I can tune it up and take it out to drive. I've got the next two days off work so I am hoping that I can get it together for thursdays meet at A&W, but i don't want to get my hopes up!
'87 NA T-top
slickdeuce

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads