Mr2 94 LHD Hardtop lightweight 3sge Beams Turbo (NO 56K)

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Mr2 94 LHD Hardtop lightweight 3sge Beams Turbo (NO 56K)

Postby GTSSportCoupe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:22 am

Incredible build. Please keep the pictures and progress coming! :wink:

Current:
95 A32 Maxima SE
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
GTSSportCoupe
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:15 pm

GTSSportCoupe wrote:Incredible build. Please keep the pictures and progress coming! :wink:

thanks, Yeah sure will keep updating this thread to show the entire build up process
Administrator of Club Mr2 Quebec, Member of Ontario Mr2 Club, Mr2oc.com, Mr2board.com and BCmr2.com
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:16 pm

I was a bit too lazy to update the thread recently so you have a 2 for 1 this week.

Almost 2 weeks ago we completed the engine assembly

We had a lot of problem with the Cusco LSD and we finally had to set it to work in 2 way.

Sometimes things just get worst. When we adjusted the LSD in 2 way and had it reassemble we didn't realize that the OEM ring gear bolt were too long. On the OEM viscous LSD the casing is like 1 inch thick and on the Cusco it is only 1/2 thick. Also didn't realize that the bolts were not threaded all the way.... what normally happen......happened... we damaged the thread in the differential housing (only 2 threads on each hole however)

We had to order a 12x1.00 tap and repair the 2-3 first threads that were damaged in 9 of the 16 holes

When everything finally got repaired (maybe like 1 hour of re-threading the Incredibly hard LSD housing material) we put it back in the transmission and we found an other problem. One of my BRAND NEW OEM toyota differential bearings was defect. One of the ring around the bearing itself was probably not 100% round. Axles were spinning like 75% of his normal rotation axe then stopped. After inspecting everything over and over again we decided to use the ring from the previous bearings. Once again we reinstall the transmission housing and Yippie the axles were spiing freely maybe 95% (still had a bit of resistance but WAY less then with the new ring)

Administrator of Club Mr2 Quebec, Member of Ontario Mr2 Club, Mr2oc.com, Mr2board.com and BCmr2.com
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Finally we arrive at the interesting part of the project.... The finition

This last week-end we focused on installing the engine in the engine bay and test fit all the new parts to make sure they clear everything

We started the fabrication of a new rad support (unofrtunately the original one twisted when we put the car on the trailer the first time...)
We had a flat bar with a U-bend shape laying around so we decided to use it to make the new rad support (something like 1/8'' thick). One thing sure, that part won't twist or bend in case of hitting something)

After this little installation we started on the engine. Everything went great and within 1 hour the engine was at the right place with crossmember back on the car. We were able to reinstall the downpipe, screamer pipe, external wastegate and see if everything was correct

Only bad news at this stage is that the screamer pipe hits the Anti-torque bar at the bottom. The guy who did my manifold/screamer pipe/downpipe did it on my previous Beams engine with the S54 transmission on it so that bar (Anti-torque Bar) was not installed at this time. Nothing big, only a small modification to make when the car will be taken to my builder's place.

mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:17 pm

We also did a bit of ''finition'' at the same time going with the installation of the Fuel pressure regulator on the trunk firewall (engine bay side) right over the harness hole in the firewall.

We also started the wiring for the engine by taking every connector apart and connecting them on each sensors

We also remove all the wrapping over the OEM celica Beams harness that I had to identify every wires and every connectors to help us when it comes to making the final harness

Up to date this is the final result. More to come later. Next step is supposed to take the car to my builder's place to start the fabrication of the last missing parts (fuel lines in stainless, completing the exhaust, and etc)
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 pm

So here are finally a couple pictures of the update

Got my intake manifold welded a couple weeks ago to avoid any failure at 20 psi

Then I got it cleaned and sandblasted

Had the water neck modified to remove the 3rd hose and filler neck

Got the IAT installed in my upper pipe
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 pm

And the latest update of the engine ( I know I've miss a couple updates over the last weeks sorry)
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby cam_132 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:52 pm

:o

soooooo sick..

you by any chance know anyone with a 3sgte for sale for fairly cheep that is in good condition????
Ruus wrote:
once an mr2 owner, always an mr2 owner. Its the love of the car that brings us together, not the owning of one.
cam_132
Papa '2

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:37 am

Still thoroughly enjoy reading this thread, please keep posting! Can't wait to see it finished!
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby cam_132 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:28 am

PearlWhiteMR2 wrote:Still thoroughly enjoy reading this thread, please keep posting! Can't wait to see it finished!

1+ to that!!! :BowDown:
Ruus wrote:
once an mr2 owner, always an mr2 owner. Its the love of the car that brings us together, not the owning of one.
cam_132
Papa '2

Postby GTSSportCoupe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:07 am

I'm still following too...keep up the good work!

Current:
95 A32 Maxima SE
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
GTSSportCoupe
Baby '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:52 pm

1st beams i have ever seen boosted.
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby mr2mkii » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:21 am

thanks guys it's a pleasure to share this with you. It's taking more times then expected but my builder/tuner is a busy man.

Hope to be able to drive the car this year.

As for now I just received my new wheels for my daily drive

Got my 20x10 wheels for my X-Runner... truck is now waiting to tow the car
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:08 pm

pictures of the suspension arms painted and the megan racing arms ready to be mounted all together

I am doing the same on a set of front hubs I had laying around... Took off all the studs (will be replacing them with ARP extended studs), removed the bearings and will soon take them to my friend's garage and sandblast them. Will primer them, paint them and then apply a clear coat on it. Will be ordering 2 new front bearings in the next weeks with 4 new ball joints and also 2 inner tied rods to make sure I have no problem with the car
mr2mkii
Baby '2

PreviousNext

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads