Mr2 94 LHD Hardtop lightweight 3sge Beams Turbo (NO 56K)

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Mr2 94 LHD Hardtop lightweight 3sge Beams Turbo (NO 56K)

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Administrator of Club Mr2 Quebec, Member of Ontario Mr2 Club, Mr2oc.com, Mr2board.com and BCmr2.com
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 pm

So project still continue, worked on it this weekend and very happy with the result up to date

what have been done this weekend:

Brake lines custom made (complete ABS system cancelled and replaced by upgrades)
Master cylinder brace installer
Sway bar (front/rear) installed
Power Phoenix suspension arms installed
Cusco 7 points roll cage temporarily assembled (and removed to allow the future installation of interior parts)
Windshield removed
All the rust we found was sandblasted (under the windshield and some on the driver's side quarter panel
Epoxy primer sprayed on metal after sandblast
Revision 6 headlights reinstalled
Carbon fiber trunk lid ligthened (removed the interior of the trunk lid carefully with a grinder lol)

I think that describes pretty much the majority of the weekend

Here are some picutres:
Administrator of Club Mr2 Quebec, Member of Ontario Mr2 Club, Mr2oc.com, Mr2board.com and BCmr2.com
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:55 pm

mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:18 pm

An other week-end spent working on the car

Here is a quick resume of what has been done in the last 2 days

- We painted the roof liner in black (OEM gray really look like ____ and gets dirt easily)
- Reinstalled the complete dashboard (1991 one to make sure nobody can tell that the airbags have been removed)
- Reinstalled pretty much all the interior trim and plastics (except the one over and under the backglass)
- Reinstalled the floor carpets (and fitted with the roll cage with the help of a Olfa knife)
- Reinstalled the Cusco roll cage Final installation
- Installed and connected the HKS Turbo Timer Type 0
- Rewired everything and temporary installed the 6 gauges (Prosport and AEM wideband)
- Removed the throttle cable that was starting to cut
- Reinstalled the Bucket seats (lowering them by 2 inches at the same time and make sure they clear the door bars of the roll cage (extremely tight fit)

mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:21 pm

mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Nice! I wonder when I'll be able to spend a weekend working on the car!!
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:06 pm

So after a little break of 2 weeks we got back to the garage and started to work on the mr2 once again

for the last time of the year 2010 we worked on the car to make sure the project still go in the right way

Here is a little update of what has been done this past weekend:

-Finish the wiring for all the 6 gauges (only missing the signal wiring from the sensors on the engine to be 100% operationnal)
-Installation of the alarm system (personnalized installation and 100% functionnal with the HKS turbo timer added to the car)
-Took off the last 2-3 parts that needed to be removed in order to be replaced or modified
-Started the rear BBK (100% custom)... using 12 5/8'' rotors instead of stock 10 1/4''
-Relocated the stock 93+ turbo callipers brackets in order to fit the new BBK
-Modified the stock calliper brackets in order to work with the new BBK
-Installation of the new Megan Racing Outer adjustable Tie Rod
-Reinstalled all the interior trim and parts to make sure they still fit well even with the roll cage addition

Here are a couple pictures to the where the project is right now. Be careful to how close the passenger seat is from the roll cage. Custom made 2 inches lower seat brackets

Beginning of rear BBK

Rear BBK being made

Stock rotors VS new custom ones (10 1/4'' VS 12 5/8'')

Megan Racing Outer Tie Rod VS Stock

Front setup (only missing the Wilwood 4 pistons 13'' BBK and the powder/ceramic coat on the basic parts like the hubs, etc)
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Interior completely reassembled on Driver side

Interior completely reassembled on Passenger side

New firewall carpet (500 grams instead of stock 11 lbs)

Driver Seat fully operationnal with the roll cage

Passenger side fully operationnal with the roll cage (really tight fit)
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby 1985 Silver MKI » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:08 pm

very impressive.
1985 Silver MKI
Papa '2

Postby mr2mkii » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Major upgrade in the project

my Blitz Type 03 are for sale
17x9 +22 front (24 lbs)
17x10 +22 rear (25 lbs)

I just bought myself a new set of Advan RgII Gold in color
18x9 +22 front (18 lbs)
18x10 +25 rear (18 lbs)

This is 14 lbs off the axles. I expect a major upgrade with this new setup
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Finally after 1 month of christmas/new year's party we are back to work on the car

1st of all I went to pick up my new wheels to replace the Blitz I recently sold

Advan RGII 18x9 +22 front and 18x10 +25 rear

Now need to take the wheels to a shop to have 1 of the front repaired and send them all to powdercoat

Little test fit of the custom rear brakes (12 5/8'' rotor)
Avec un petit test fit des disques sur mesure pour en arrière ( 12 5/8'')
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Then on saturday we started to reassemble the engine itself (longblock was already assembled by my machine shop and timing belt/oil pump/water pump installed)

We started by the basic stuff: (Everything is only installed for test fit. Final installation will recquire the parts to be painted to new, etc)
-Thermostat installation
-Timing belt cover installation
-Miscelaneous Gaskets and hoses installed
-Exhaust manifold installed
-Alternator bracket installed

And then we test fitted the turbo kit

mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:07 pm

Once everything was mounted and fitted correctly (custom setup so we never know). We clocked the turbo housing to put the Oil feed/oil return at the right place. We also clocked the intake housing to make sure the piping was going to be as short as possible when time for final install arrive.

Unfortunately the engine will stay at this level at least for an other week as it was already time to get back home.

One of my major fear when I first started this project came back to me while we were installing everything. The new injectors I got (Delphi 1000cc).... major upgrade compare to OEM 315cc... doesn't fit at all on the engine without modifications.

We had to grind some of the intake manifold adaptor plate, we also had to grind some material off the Head assembly and we also had to grind a little bit of the fuel rail mounting points at the same time. (diameter of the new injetors is like 3x the OEM ones)

I will get pictures of that next time I work on the engine

Talking about the injectors.... Since we were working on the injectors we took a closer look at the OEM fuel rail. I already bought an aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator so I removed the OEM one from the fuel rail. Then we realise that the extermity of the fuel rail (where the OEM FPR was) had the exact same thread as the extremity where the fuel comes in. What a great news, we will now use a dual feed setup on the engine to avoid any problem with the 1st, 2nd injectors getting less fuel. Each extremity will be connected to stainless hose and going to the fuel pressure regulator

Thanks to everybody who helped me during this weekend (bossmr2 for the garage, tools and help), my friend Max (mechanic and drifter) who helped me to grind the head to have the injectors sitting and working properly, and my friend Caro who disassembled my OEM doors from the complete window/door lock assembly

mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:05 pm

So here we are. Was too lazy to update the thread last week so here it is.

The engine is pretty much done. Only some little details to finalise when the engine will be installed in the car.

The bottom end is finally complete. We put the 2 oil pans, the baffles, the sandwich plate for the oil cooler. Will only need to have the valve cover and intake manifold repainted when the setup will be completed.

We started to work on the 93+ transmission to install the new cusco type MZ differential

We disassembled the transmission to inspect all the clearance betwen the synchros to make sure it was in good shaoe. She passed the test easily.

Right after we removed the OEM viscous differential and we opened the new Cusco one. We modified the internal setting to have it working in 1.5 way (was set on 1 way when I received it). We reassembled everything, torqued everything until...................... we realized something was wrong........PROBLEM

The axles fittings inside the differential were not correctly reassembled. The way they were installed only a small part of the axles spline were able to fit in the fittings (way too easy to strip with a launch)..... We stopped to understand what was the problem and we inspected everything twice.... Until we realized. The MZ differential are adjustable BUT there is 2 different part number for the same LSD

You have 2 different differential. 1st one can be adjusted in 1 way and 1.5
2nd one can be adjusted in 1 way or 2 way. We first thought that it was possible to have the 3 different settings with the same LSD but it's impossible... unfortunately the one I have can only be adjusted to 1 way or 2 way. Since 1 way is not enough for what I will use it for I had no choice and we finally reinstalled everything in 2 way.

The ''ring gear'' are installed so we only need to put everything back in the transmission with new differential bearings and check if the ''shims'' are okay before to seal the transmission properly

Here are some pictures:
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:06 pm

mr2mkii
Baby '2

PreviousNext

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads