Mr2 94 LHD Hardtop lightweight 3sge Beams Turbo (NO 56K)

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Mr2 94 LHD Hardtop lightweight 3sge Beams Turbo (NO 56K)

Postby mr2mkii » Wed May 04, 2011 12:54 pm

1st start ever yesterday night :thumbup

Unfortunately I was able to film only the 2 first start when idle was pretty rough and didn't had chance to catch the last start where idle was all good.

Before anybody ask yes the first minutes of his life the engine was on 3 cylinders. Reason? When going standalone with that type of custom programmation Coil number 4 does not exist.... It needs to be adjusted as a coil 5 to be properly working... In the first 2 videos it simply wasn't.

The 4 coil on plug works perfectly. All sensors react and are read by the laptop (and for sure AEM). No oil leaks. We found out that the Fuel pressure regulator AN fitting were humid so we'll take them off and reseal them properly with appropriate stuff

Walbro fuel pump is working properly.

After those 2 videos (and an extra run to set the engine idle) we shut it off and worked on other stuff. We drilled the water outlet to install my aftermarket water temp sensor so it now looks like OEM mounting.

We now need to reinstall the water outlet, make some hoses for the heater core, put some transmission oil with LSD additive, put some oil in the clutch system, fill up the brake system and finalize the intercooler system by adding a tank at the back to allow variation with the system fluid

1st start ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH256Nf3b9s

2nd start (We do not use VVTI as for now and we realized that the VVTI solenoid was connected so that's why the idle is still rough in 2nd video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYlpAjujY5o

I'll take an other video of it running properly when everything will be done.
Administrator of Club Mr2 Quebec, Member of Ontario Mr2 Club, Mr2oc.com, Mr2board.com and BCmr2.com
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby bbarnumboy » Thu May 05, 2011 12:44 pm

that turbo looks like a monster on that engine. congrats on the first startup.
God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope
bbarnumboy
MR2 know it all

Postby mr2mkii » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm

bbarnumboy wrote:that turbo looks like a monster on that engine. congrats on the first startup.

it's not that bad. Manifold brings it pretty high maybe that's why it looks so high. Thanks buddy
Administrator of Club Mr2 Quebec, Member of Ontario Mr2 Club, Mr2oc.com, Mr2board.com and BCmr2.com
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Yesterday we did a bit of work on the car. We filled up brake lines with my Motul RBF600 that I just received. Filled the clutch line with A good Dot 3 oil. Filled the transmission with 2 Redline Mt90 liters + 1 lightweight shockproof liter and the GM LSD additive.

Only need to reinstall the water neck and fill up the coolant system.

If everything's fine we start the basemap tuning on dyno maybe on sunday. (No boost just basemap tuning)

So here is a video of it running correctly (almost) idle is still a bit unstable but it was a quick vid just to show you guys.

Still no coolant so only a 15 seconds run and idle is still a bit unstable because of the vaccuum hoses not being connected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbEGy6du2c
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Last weekend I went to pick up my tires at a friend's house. We had some problems concerning the order (the 235-40-18 were back order) but it finally showed up

BFGoodrich G-Force KDW 215-40-18 front
BFGoodrich G-Force KDW 245-40-18 rear

We installed the tires on the wheels that same night.

We went to the garage on the next day and we finally decided where we were going to place the little reservoir for the a2w system. We also decided we were going to install the pump directly on the intercooler (since the pump at the same thread on as the water port on the intercooler)

I hope to get everything done this week and ready to be dynoed for the basemap tuning... then oil change, last check up and final dyno to see what this setup can give us
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:04 am

After 2 long years, we can finally be happy. 1st part of tuning went great.

The engine is finally alive and we were able to make some dyno tune.

We were supposed to start the dyno around 6 p.m. on last tuesday but due to an other car having tuning problem we started mine at around 9 p.m.

Evertyhing was working wel during the first dyno runs.... Everything until we reached the 4200rpm. When it happened we stared to have some problems. We took off the timing belt cover to see it it was the VVTI that was causing problems (don't forget that I'm still not using it at the moment. We wanted to make a simple tune without worrying about the VVTI function)

We realised that the problem was happening because of the oil pressure making the solenoid changing the cams angle. We took it off, replaced the little spring by a little shim (to be sure the solenoid was no longer changing the cams setup) and reinstalled it.

After a little relearning of the computer the problem was solved and we were able to start over.

Unfortunately we lost a complete hour of diagnostic and labor to solve this problem. We were able to continue the tune around 23h30.

We ended up after 3 hours and a half of tuning (including the 1 hour delay) at around 1h00 a.m. that night.

Result of this first dyno tune

250whp
200 lbs/ft

boost at 6 psi

We limited the RPM at 7300 for this first tune but we still have around 1000 rpm to get use of.

I am really satisfied for this first tune especially since we are still not using the VVTI for safety reason. Since I'm not using any kind of aftermarket camshaft as for now (compare to 3sgte guys) I think those numbers are really nice.

I will ask my tuner for the dynosheet of this 1st tune when I'll get back to the shop next week to pay him.
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:04 am

The car is now back at my friend's house (where I worked for the entire winter)

We are going to complete everything around the engine (make a clean engine harness, finish the fuse box relocation, install all the new suspension/direction parts, install the rear wheels and check for fitment, etc)

as soon as the car is ready I'm sending it to the paintshop. Need to talk to my body guy this week to see if he has some time around mid-july/end of july to paint the car.

Pictures to come probably in 2 weeks when I'll get back to my friend's house to work on the car (can only work there during week-end)

I can only say that we can finally see the light through the tunnel. It's taking time but at least it will be done the right way.
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby mr2mkii » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Since I can not update this thread with new details about the build I thought it would be a good idea to post some pictures that I never showed up to date

Here are a little picture (sorry if it's a bit unclear) of the lightweight job I did to my CF trunk lid (I can say that I only have ''the skin'' left now

Here is a picture of my new JIC strut bar to replace my previous TRD (rear TRD can't be used with the top mount setup so sold both of them)... JIC aluminium bars are extremely stiff and weight only 4 lbs for both

Here is my favorite part. Picture of the fitment of my front wheels. I'd like to lower the car a little more but I need to test fit the complete height of the vehicle with the front lip and side skirts installed to see how much clearance I still have with the ground

I'm really in love with the look of the wheels on the car and I just can't wait till next weekend to get back to work on the car (will install the new crossmember with all the new suspension arms and test fit the rear wheels at the same time).
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Awesome!

I don't know how much lower you can go! That looks pretty close already.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:26 am

Nice fitment! Like Russ said, how much lower could you go LOL... I guess you've still got a finger's width to play with there.. :)
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby mr2mkii » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:23 am

immorality wrote:Awesome!

I don't know how much lower you can go! That looks pretty close already.

thanks Russ. Yes it's pretty close already but still have a little bit to play with... just waiting on the lip kit to be installed to decide

PearlWhiteMR2 wrote:Nice fitment! Like Russ said, how much lower could you go LOL... I guess you've still got a finger's width to play with there.. :)

Thanks Sarah. To be honest I don't even have a finger (even in angle) between the tire and the fender :roll:

I am really impatient to test fit the rear and see if I will get use of my roll center adapters that push the wheels out even a bit more (and also allow for camber)
mr2mkii
Baby '2

Postby Kenisuho » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Incredible! another beast gonna roar on the road
Kenisuho

Postby dh4ever » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:47 am

hows this thing coming along? any action shots? its been a year :D
dh4ever
Papa '2

Previous

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads