Russ' 1994 Hardtop 2GRFE V6 MR2

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Russ' 1994 Hardtop 2GRFE V6 MR2

Postby Variance » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:35 am

Russ, do you have any side profile pix of your car in good lighting? Trying to gauge wheel/fender gap with your current setup.

Trd Springs/Konis?

What size tires?

Thanks.
Richard
'94T. ARC Equipped - "wonders assembiled project"
Variance
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:03 pm

How's this? Yes, TRD Springs, tires in this pic are 215/40R17 & 245/40R17

immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby Variance » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:12 am

That helps, looks great btw!

Is there any tire to fender gap at all? Cause from this pic it looks non-existant lol.
Richard
Variance
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:28 pm

You can fit a finger in there, you know, unless you have fat fingers.
immorality

Postby Variance » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:34 am

Well finding trd springs will be an adventure!
Richard
Variance
Papa '2

Postby immorality » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:27 am

It shouldn't be too tough, they are up for sale on the forums regularly. I'd also look at the Eibach Sportlines as I understand they are pretty similar.
immorality

Postby immorality » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:21 pm

So, finally an update!

Going back to the power steering install. Since I'm a dumbass, all I had to do to get it working was plug the PS ecu in. :bash: On the bright side it is very nice having power steering in the car. I wouldn't go back. It was a bit of a pain, but not too bad over all and I think that I got pretty lucky finding a car with a complete system to pull out. I would hate to have to piece meal this system together.

Toyotafest 2015!!

Well, what a tale and a journey this year became!! Duncan, myself, Bad Randy, Ross & his Dad met up early and headed south.We met up with Martin & Drew in Everett and continued down hwy97 through central Wa. & Or. What started out innocently enough, turned into a week of shenanigans and roadside repairs.

Day one seemed to go smoothly enough, but at the end of day one, Duncan had his battery die just as we reached our first stop for the night in Klamath Falls, Oregon. We grabbed a dinner, and a new battery and went back to the parking lot for beers & repairs. Drew was fiddling with something in his car at the same time, and somehow bad Randy managed to get his stereo locked up. Also, during that first day bad Randy's RR brake caliper started to seize.

Day two started out with me getting a performance award from the Califonia CHP (Go me!), and as the day went on bad Randy's caliper got worse and worse. Since we are a resourceful group, we managed to find a new caliper at the Napa warehouse in Sacramento. Conveniently the Napa was just off the highway, more conveniently and more importantly to the rest of us there was an In'n'Out Burger there too! So, bad Randy was a good Randy and bought us lunch, in return we changed the brake caliper in the parking lot instead of burning his car and leaving him stranded. The rest of day two went pretty smoothly after that.

Day three we met up with Marc, Miguel, Minna, Joe, Thomas & Sam to wash cars at the local car wash, and then we headed over to Torrence for the Toyota Museum's open house. As always there's some amazing historical and modern cars, and always some good stories to share.

Day four was the day of the show. SInce we were all shined up and ready to go we just rolled out from our hotel (a block away) and directly into a big line up to get in. Again, I can't even begin to tell you how incredible this show is. If you have never been it's one of those things you have to do at least once in your life!

Sitting pretty!

...and what would you know, 1st place!! The icing on the cake is that Duncan also took 1st place for his MK1 SC! Take that California!
immorality

Postby immorality » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:36 pm

Day five, the Sunday I woke up early to go meet this Matt Farah guy? He has some internet show about cars, but I'm sure that you've all seen the video by now. Matt is a super nice guy, and we had a good time chatting about cars.

Afterwards, I met up with the rest of the group to tackle the Angles Crest Highway. A gorgeous piece of road that runs E-W over the north of LA. We had planned to stop at Newcombs ranch, but it was jam packed full of bikers for some big event. Anyways we traveled just a little further up the road and pulled over for a few minutes.

At our stop we picked up a guy and his wife in their new FRS. We chatted for a while and they joined our drive and even came with us for lunch at the Mountain Top Cafe afterwards.
immorality

Postby entrax » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:27 pm

wow very delayed haha! i also like what you've done to your signature.
entrax
Baby '2

Postby immorality » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:04 am

Thanks. There's still more to update before I'm up to date.
immorality

Postby immorality » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Lots of randomness in this long past due update...

Lots of autox;

Rebuilt all four calipers:

I've had to replace the 'Oh Shit!" handle twice now,

Had some custom spacers made up at work, 5mm & 8mm, and I drilled them with 5x114.3 and 5x100, just in case... They are also hub centric to the car and the Work Meisters,

I had The Speed Syndincate mount up the TCS 3" Greddy SP replica, and they created a new (and finally) good y-pipe,

The last day on the road for 2015, this was the same day as the Roads Untraveled youtube video,

immorality

Postby immorality » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:28 pm

Winter 2015/2016,

Engine out for a good clean up and to install a Quaife (torsen style) mechanical differential,

Sigh, ripped boot, but I knew about that, there was grease everywhere,

Flywheel is fine,

Clutch shows only a little wear,
immorality

Postby immorality » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:45 pm

I bought Marc's old non-lsd transmission and axles. His diff was toast, but I needed the speedo gear (discontinued) and non-lsd axles. Here are the two differentials beside each other with the Quaife in front.

While I had my trans apart I noticed that there was some significant wear on this old mystery box. I bought it online through mr2.com years ago. I was told that it was from a '96 JDM car with only 60k miles on it.... Anyways, the price was right and it actually was a pretty good transmission for all the years and abuse that it's taken.

I ended up replacing quite a bit, 1st, 2nd & 3rd synchros, 2nd & 3rd gear, No.1 & No.2 hubs, all the bearings and seals. It ended up costing a fortune, but still less than a brand new one. I was quoted around $4k CAD for a new one and with exchange and shipping one from the US was almost the same price.

In the meantime I took a bunch of parts to the sand blaster,

I just clear coated the parts when I was one, and I think it looked pretty good going back together,
immorality

Postby immorality » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:54 pm

While apart I noticed that the headers had cracked radially around the pipe at the flange, no worries, when you have friends that are excellent welders!

Before,

During,

and afterwards I had them ceramic coated,

Also while I had all this apart I thought it would be a good time to clean up the engine bay a little bit. I started with a spot weld removing drill bit and took off the brackets on the strut towers,

I even tried filling some holes,

Then it really got out of hand....
immorality

Postby immorality » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Finally started putting things back together since I was running out of time, Toyotafest2016 was fast approaching,
immorality

PreviousNext

Return to Members MR2's & Build Threads