For $850 they will include the following:

both seats
both door inserts
single or double stitching
one solid colour of choice
perforated or solid
Add or subtract foam to your specs.
Installation
................................................................................................

Options:
Multiple colours
Heated seats$495 installed both seats dual temp control.
Embroidery on headrest (MR2 LOGO in MR2 FONT) approx $60

These guys use the same leather 1.1-1.3mm used in Mercedes and BMW. This is not the .8-.9mm leather used in most other factory applications. They have guaranteed this will outperform CST and Katzskins products.

Please post if you are interested...both MK1 and MKII seats available.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:59 pm

I can't believe I'm posting this since I shouldn't be spending money on cosmetic things right now... but damn am I ever interested!
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:39 pm

I Will keep you informed... How soon do you want to do this, James?
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:20 pm

hmmm I would say a couple months at least...

don't get me wrong, this is THE upgrade I've wanted to do, even more than exterior body work. This has always struck me as the coolest cosmetic thing to do to a car. Dumbass soccer moms can't ding your two tone leather seats with their SUV doors.

That price is MOST reasonable though. Provided this is indeed offered to members I'll be all over it when money is more plentiful. My summer is still uncertain as far as cash flow...
podgers
Papa '2

Postby LittleDragon » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:21 am

Try to get some leather swatches if you can so we know what the leather looks like and what colours are available. Often colours on a PC screen look nothing like in real life.
LittleDragon
Grandfather '2

Postby drscam » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:27 am

LittleDragon wrote:Try to get some leather swatches if you can so we know what the leather looks like and what colours are available. Often colours on a PC screen look nothing like in real life.

They normally do not give these out as they get quite expensive; however, once these guys are on board, we can go to their shop and look for ourselves.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby sean » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:38 am

or we may be able to ask them to borrow a set for a meet so people can see the quality.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby docomo » Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:31 am

would the redone interior look like this?
i kinda want to just do the door panels inserts in leather instead of having it stock cloth but in black to have the "luxury" look... :D
docomo
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:32 am

IMO they will look better as the pucture shows CST leather skins. The leather we are being provided with is higher quality and will outlast CST amd katzkin.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:53 pm

BlackFog wrote:Could not post into the current leather-seats thread, but a quick question from a prospective MR2 owner:

Do all 91-93 MR2 leather seats fit into a 91-93 NA MR2?

Also, the quality of the aftermarket leather upholstery in that other thread looks great, but what would be better -- finding original leather seats or going for the upholstery route?

Or will it be ridiculously impossible to find original MR2 leather seats for sale?

Again, sorry for the parallel thread.

docomo wrote::idea: What i've noticed is that mr2 leather seats pop up for sale every once in a while.. but the problem is that they are tattered and in not of the best condition, there are rips and the leather is worn. Considering the seats are give or take 10 years old, you can't really expect much from the condition. The best option is to reupolster the cloth seats or go with aftermarket seats. If you bought a set of leather seats, you probably have to reupolster them anyways; so might as well save some money and do it on the seats you already have.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:57 pm

The original leather used in the OEM seat is terrible. The seats will stay the same; however the leather will be s much higher quality.

You could wait for OEM seats to come up for sale; however, they will crack again within a year or two.

The aftermarket ones we are considering are a lot more durable and offer a myriad of options; however, the choice is always left to the owner.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Djmare » Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:50 pm

A leather upholsterer mentioned to me that perforated leather(like OEM) is usually more expensive. If the deal for $850 gives us the option of perforated thats great!

I think the problem with the OEM leather is that it's not soft enough, therefore it easily cracks. The sun shining through the T-tops doesn't help either. Does anyone recall if it was like this when new?

On my Parents BMW(1992 535i) the leather is still pretty good, just minor creases on it. The only problem was when the car was new it smelled like an animal inside, more than a regular leather smell. It took a few years for that smell to dissipate.
SuperRed 89 Supercharger
Djmare
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:13 am

Djmare wrote:A leather upholsterer mentioned to me that perforated leather(like OEM) is usually more expensive. If the deal for $850 gives us the option of perforated thats great!

It does.

Djmare wrote:I think the problem with the OEM leather is that it's not soft enough, therefore it easily cracks. The sun shining through the T-tops doesn't help either. Does anyone recall if it was like this when new?

All leather will crack if not properly maintained. Leather requires conditioning on a regular basis to maintain softness and to keep from getting dry. LEXOL is an excellent conditioner, probbbly the best on the market.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Mon May 05, 2003 4:58 am

Zeke wrote:Oh yeah...alsoo i read about the re-upholstering for $850 in the other forum, but i wasnt able to reply there yet. Just wanted to say that, that is one of the first things i want to do to my car, and i am very interested in this deal.

I will keep you posted on how this deal unfolds...I am hoping for better pricing; however, we will see what these guys can do for us.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Fri May 16, 2003 7:10 pm

sunnyttops wrote:drscam - I read your thread regarding the $850 deal for the replacement of leather seats and other accessories - I am unable to post in that thread but just wondering how that deal is going as I am interested too...

Thanks

I have been focussing all of my time at work and planning BC2003. Your interest is noted and I will post after speaking to the shop on Tuesday.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Next

Return to General Shop