WTB: Cheapest place for yellow top optima, will it fit?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Postby drscam » Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:06 am

macatak wrote:curious as to why you are purchasing a deep cycle battery?

Do to my stereo being run without the car running at upcoming show and shines.. this will drain the battery. A deep cycle battery will recover quicker than a regular conventional battery.

Optima Batteries FAQ
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby camshaft » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:17 pm

Hum if you keep reading Optima's FAQ it doesn't suggest a yellow top for regular car battery.

Basicly I have been told by a number of suppliers and dealers of Optimas the Red tops for some reason crap out.
Personally I have a red top in my CRX that a buddy game me.
It is 5-6 years old and was used in a daily driver car.
And it still works great..... go figure.

Back to the subject.

this explains it better......

Does the OPTIMA Deep Cycle have a "memory"?
Lead-Acid batteries do not suffer from memory effect. Many people think they have a memory because they experience a reduction in capacity or run-time as the battery ages. The active paste material in a lead-acid battery is a consumable item, similar to tread on a tire. Every time you cycle the battery some of the paste is used up. As the battery ages, less of the active paste is available to charge and discharge, resulting in a reduced operating time. This situation can be more apparent in the case where a high power or SLI battery is used in a deep cycle application. The plates of an SLI batter y are designed for high current, short duration discharges. Plates in deep cycle batteries are better suited to repetitive deep discharge applications.

. When should I use a Deep Cycle OPTIMA as a Starting battery?
"Deep Cycle" batteries are designed for applications that require deep, repetitive amperage drain, like trolling motors, golf carts, and electric wheelchairs, or RV house power sources. However, there are other applications, called "Heavy Cycling" or "High Cycling", when a Deep Cycle OPTIMA can successfully replace a starting battery to provide longer life and better performance.
In heavy cycling or high cycling applications, a vehicle will pull unusually high amperage levels from the starting battery due to extra accessories or limited alternator capacity. Public safety professionals, such as police, fire, and ambulance fleet managers often find that traditional starting batteries cannot provide adequate life and performance due to heavy cycling. This is an excellent opportunity to provide your customer with longer life and better performance by using an OPTIMA Deep Cycle battery in this type of application.

In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.

Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Yellow Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Yellow Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Previous

Return to General Shop