obscure japanese wheels - how to get them

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

obscure japanese wheels - how to get them

Postby podgers » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:13 pm

My friend is trying to locate some WEDS wheels (weds.co.jp), specifically the CEREBRUS II made by the sub company KRANZE.

Volco is a no-go. Discount Tire and Tirerack don't appear to carry them from their website (though he'll call). How does one go further on this?
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:43 am

Contact the company to see who their US and/or Canadian Distributor is. Then contact the distributor to obtain purchasing information.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby ReDRuM » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:26 pm

there's a shop here "Curtis Tire " . He's bringing in Racing Harts so maybe he can get 'em.
In Abbotsford
Manj
ReDRuM Racing Ltd
ReDRuM
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:29 pm

ReDRuM wrote:there's a shop here "Curtis Tire " . He's bringing in Racing Harts so maybe he can get 'em.
In Abbotsford

Curtis Tire Service Ltd
2679 Ware, Abbotsford, BC V2S3E7
(604) 853-1012
http://www.curtistire.com
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:05 pm

Many thanks guys, I'll give them a call. At this point contacting WEDS directly is looking too intimidating just because of the language barrier, so hopefully Curtis can steer me in the right direction.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby podgers » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:29 pm

well it looks like my friend has located a store in Arizona that frequently imports Japanese wheels. What's interesting about this is he asked about "Work" wheels for me and yes indeed they could get them.

After a quick search on IMOC I didn't see a vendor for Work, yet clearly a handful (at least) of owners have the equips (my dream wheel).

I don't suppose any of you dudes would know of a place closer to home?
podgers
Papa '2

Postby dutch » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:17 pm

do you have some pictures/specs for these wheels? sounds interesting
dutch
Papa '2

Postby podgers » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:31 pm

^
You know I do! Be warned once you see these wheels you're going to want them...

I'm in a stats lab right now supposed to be listening to the lecturer so give me a few minutes...

EDIT:
okay here's a couple pics I've lifted from IMOC:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wOTA4ODQ2czQxM2RmZDMxeTU0MQ%3D%3D
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wNzQ3NTk2czQxM2RmZDMxeTU0MQ%3D%3D
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:11 pm

^^ Links do not work.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby dutch » Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:39 pm

copy and paste the links into a new browser window.

you are right; they are nice, domsetic looking in a way.
dutch
Papa '2

Postby podgers » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:26 pm

"domestic looking"

you are not the first person to say that. I have to agree with the studded look around the lip.

While I don't think domestic looking is necessarily a compliment (not to me anyway) I just dig these wheels. When you throw in the fact that they are available in so many varied sizes and widths, they're perfect! Oh yeah too bad they're so expensive.

That brings me to my next mission, trying to pin down some price quotes. It would really make my day to find a Canadian vendor. Unfortunately Volco doesn't carry WORKs.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby 1993MR2 » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:51 am

podgers wrote:"domestic looking"......While I don't think domestic looking is necessarily a compliment (not to me anyway)............they are available in so many varied sizes and widths, they're perfect!............trying to pin down some price quotes. It would really make my day to find a Canadian vendor..........

Yeah man, I agree with you, "domestic looking" isn't necessarily a compliment to me either :? However, I think sometimes Japanese automotive markers do make parts that suits the taste of North American. Not necessarily these WORKS nor the TRD mags, but that might be where "dutch" is coming from. It's all good tho!!
I wonder how expensive these WORKS mags could be?... I don't know much about mags but where were they made? podgers, I know you have been digging hard for any additional information, but I'm sure a lot of us would be soooo happy if you could in the future be able to supply a list of available sizes for us... or would this end up becoming a high potencial group buy to reduces cost?? Hmm.... THANK YOU in advance for all the hard work! We look forward hearing back from you :lol:
1986 AW11 NA ---- SOLD
1993 SW20 turbo - z Z z Z z Z z
1990 Integra GS -- SOLD
2004 Civic Coupe - Everyday driver
1987 AW15 NA ---- SOLD
1989 AW15 NA ---- SOLD
2006 Tibby SE ----- Everyday driver
1993MR2
Baby '2

Postby kungfucop » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:21 am

Why don't you go for the TRD Alumi-K's. They look the same and are designed for the MR2. They are jap-spec rims and are probably easier to get. Manufactured by Ray's Eng. but stamped with TRD on it somewhere so they can charge more.

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/576
http://www.atlantamr2s.com/wheels.htm

You can see these rims in those Hyper-Rev magazines as well. I don't think they look domestic at all. Very similar to the Racing Hart C5's. Looks just like stock 93 rims with studs.
- Jeff
Pale Yellow 91T
kungfucop
Baby '2

Postby podgers » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:46 am

I had heard of the Alumi-K wheels, but for some reason I thought they'd be more expensive than the Works. The designs are certainly similar and either would tickle my fancy just fine.

Jeff where would you recommend to find either of these rims?

1993 bud I don't see a group purchase happening on wheels unfortunately. You're talking about thousands of dollars and the likelihood of even 5 people getting together on that is minute to say the least. If you're looking for a deal on rims (not necessarily these ones) I'm quite impressed with the prices Aly quoted me in the past on some Konigs I wanted from Volco. VERY good discounts can be had there.

You know now that I mention Volco and Kungfoo mentioned the TRD rims I realize I never asked Dan about the Alumi-Ks, only the Work Equips. Another thing to add to my to-do list.
podgers
Papa '2

Return to General Shop