Some tips for sellers.

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Some tips for sellers.

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:51 am

I want to post this due to attempts to purchase items for sale on this part of the board, and being unsuccessful at doing so.

In our community, we have a limited supply of parts and cars. The parts we can buy elsewhere are often expensive on their own, and then you have to tack shipping and possibly duty on top of them. When parts come available in the local area, it is a good idea to get them because you can save a lot of time and money that way. I appreciate everybody who does sell their parts on here because it enables us to function better as a community as well.

That being said, more than once I have tried to purchase things off of the board unsuccessfully. Understandably, there will be times when the item has simply been sold already. They are still the seller's items and they are at liberty to do what they want with them. I would like to recommend a few things, however, to avoid unnecessary frustration and a bad reputation on the part of the seller, because I have been through a runaround lately and I am a bit jaded. Were this EBay, this person would be receiving a bad rating and a few not-so-nice comments which would hurt their attempts to sell anything in the future, but in the interests of the group and to avoid conflict, I am simply going to post some things that should be some kind of a code if you want to successfully sell your parts and not tick people off.

1. DO NOT list your parts for sale until you are actually ready to sell them. If you still may need to use it, take parts from it, or aren't sure you even want to sell it, DON'T post it (or, post a feeler thread, so people know you aren't entirely sure).

2. If you post a for sale ad and do not give contact information, expect a reply or private message via the forum, and be prompt with answering them (ie. don't sell the item privately and wait a week to come back onto the board and never reply). If the item sold already, delete the post, or reply sold, or at the very least, reply to the messages, apologize and say it's been sold.

3. If you do provide contact information like a phone number or e-mail, the same applies. Answer people, or they may try to contact you further. Ignoring them is rude, and will probably result in you getting annoyed with the continued attempts to contact (especially if the part is something somebody needs).

4. Do not say you will sell the item to the person, then become unreachable, until the day you announce you sold it somebody else. This is dishonest and downright rude. Don't then try to sell them something else similar and sell that, too. This is a good way to lose business completely. Unless of course you don't care at all.

5. Try to be flexible when you can meet with people. Sometimes they don't have transportation to get the parts. If you do, offer to bring it to them for an extra cost of gas plus some time. Make yourself available if they need it ASAP. Going the extra mile will ensure that people have good things to say about dealing with you.

6. Don't be vague. Detail your description of precisely what you are selling (pictures almost always close the deal), and your asking price. If people contact you, be straight up with them and try to be somewhat flexible on price. You will be appreciated more for this effort.

That's really all I can think of that would need to be said. I thought these things were obvious, but to some people they are not. Pardon my sour attitude, but this is the result of a few weeks of failed attempted purchases resulting in me scratching my head going "now what I am going to do?". I hope nobody else will experience this as a result of these tips.

Feel free to add more, I think I feel better now :)
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Re: Some tips for sellers.

Postby immorality » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Post a price, you can always put obo beside it.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby cam_132 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:22 pm

I smell a sticky! so thats what the smell of glue smells like...

poor sarah... :D
Ruus wrote:
once an mr2 owner, always an mr2 owner. Its the love of the car that brings us together, not the owning of one.
cam_132
Papa '2

Postby 1985 Silver MKI » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:12 am

Cam... you need to work in a ventilated area with that stuff :P
1985 Silver MKI
Papa '2

Postby sprinterkb » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 am

If i could add something?
Be reasonable and flexible about pricing!

Sure some parts are rare, but there are many sources out there internationally/locally.
If you have it OBO dont discourage offers.
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:04 am

I think this board should go the way of MR2OC.com, no feeler threads - ever. It's either for sale or it's not.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby sprinterkb » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 pm

RePete wrote:I think this board should go the way of MR2OC.com, no feeler threads - ever. It's either for sale or it's not.

Excellent idea!! has my vote. :D
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby adam » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm with Kevin, don't put OBO if you're not open to offers, and don't put it for sale if you're not willing to ship out that week!!
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby adam » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:48 pm

7. Don't try and sell your items in another man's territory. If a person is selling something and you have something at what you believe to be a better price or more attractive deal, contact them privately. Also- don't go ruining peoples threads if you really have nothing to contribute... this goes for sale and wanted threads!
adam
Grandfather '2

Return to General Shop