MK1 rallycross suspension setup

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

MK1 rallycross suspension setup

Postby nick » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:10 pm

Hi, this summer I'd like to start competeing in rallycross (and maybe some autocross as well) here in Calgary. I've tried to find information on rallycross setups for the MR2 before but it doesn't seem to be a common application for it so please forgive me but I have a ton of questions :P. My car's a 1985 MR2 with 260000 km on it which I bought back in June. At the moment the suspension is completely stock and in definite need of an overhaul. I've purchased the prothane polyurethane bushing kit for it and I'll be buying new tie rods as well as ball joints ASAP. Where I'm lost is what to do with the struts and springs. Should I change over to a coilover setup so that i'm able to change my ride height on the go or stick with the conventional setup? Possibilities I've looked at for coilovers (and found reasonable) are the AMR Engineering coilovers (http://www.amrengineering.com/proddetai ... Kcm2iLc-So) and the ground control coversion kit with Koni strut inserts. It seems to me that I'd have much more adjustability and accuracy with a fully built coilover instead of a converted strut although the Koni's probably offer better dampening than whatever AMR is using. Also what spring rates will work best (or how do I determine this)? And one more thing, should I be using swaybars? Any help would be appreciated so thanks in advance!
nick

Return to Suspension\Tires\Wheels Talk