Spring differences... and questions about struts

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: Spring differences... and questions about struts

Postby FOX » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:17 pm

Hey Dan, just to confirm what you are experiencing with your TRD's, I have the very same problem with speed bumps, particularly the kind of those metal yellow half balls nailed on the pavement, no matter how slow and how carefull I pass over the speed bumps and my mudflaps scrape. I have the Tokico Luminas at the softest setting (sometimes I wonder if 1 is the softest or the hardest setting haha) with the TRD springs and just as you say, this suspension combo seems too low and too harsh a ride. To make matters worst, I also have the front and rear TRD sway bars.
I just went over my second back surgery and the doctors said I won't be able to ride my bicycles for at least a year, so I am also assuming I will have to go back to my OEM springs which fortunately I have kept over the years, and I will have to research about shocks too, so don't forget to share your experience with us so we can take a wise educated decision with the new suspension combo. Someone I can remember has the Koni shocks is either Randy (Redtwo) or Kevin (Sprinterkb) and I'm sure they would be more than happy to share their experience with you about those fine shocks. I would love to get my hands on one of those Koni sets to try'em on my Two.
CARLOS
1991 MR2 TURBO Super White
2012 Camry SE
All Toyota Last Chance Garage! 2 down 1 to go!
FOX
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:11 pm

You won't regret going back to OEM springs. It took me a couple of years to realize it but progressive springs are for poseurs, linear springs are for performance.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby Bravo 5 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:48 pm

FOX wrote:Hey Dan, just to confirm what you are experiencing with your TRD's, I have the very same problem with speed bumps, particularly the kind of those metal yellow half balls nailed on the pavement, no matter how slow and how carefull I pass over the speed bumps and my mudflaps scrape. I have the Tokico Luminas at the softest setting (sometimes I wonder if 1 is the softest or the hardest setting haha) with the TRD springs and just as you say, this suspension combo seems too low and too harsh a ride. To make matters worst, I also have the front and rear TRD sway bars.
I just went over my second back surgery and the doctors said I won't be able to ride my bicycles for at least a year, so I am also assuming I will have to go back to my OEM springs which fortunately I have kept over the years, and I will have to research about shocks too, so don't forget to share your experience with us so we can take a wise educated decision with the new suspension combo. Someone I can remember has the Koni shocks is either Randy (Redtwo) or Kevin (Sprinterkb) and I'm sure they would be more than happy to share their experience with you about those fine shocks. I would love to get my hands on one of those Koni sets to try'em on my Two.

Carlos, just like what Pete says... you won't be sorry with OEM springs. I went back to the them with my Konis and it's a 100x better ride than the TRD/KYB set up I have. TRD/Konis would be a great set up too but not for me. I hate the scraping noise!
1985 MR2, 1989 SC, 1991 n/a
Collector of MR2 memorabilia
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby FOX » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:55 am

Just for the record, I will be careful enough to measure with my metric tape and see the exact height of the vehicle with the TRD/Tokico Luminas combo and with the new set whichever will be. But honestly, US$700 seems a little too much for me right now. I already checked that price deal at the Two 's are us webpage.

Oh and btw, I have 17 inch wheels on the car, which are supposed to make it even taller. I can't imagine with the OEM 14 inch wheels!
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby mr P » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:05 pm

Just put the 2 on the road yesterday after having changed over to TRD springs and Bilstein HD struts and new TRD front, rear sway bars. Was more than impressed with the ride and handling but anything was an improvement as it turned out the old struts were shot. Also scored a new set of JDM mud flaps and was interested in the comments about speed bumps and scraping. I'm to believe that with this ride height it won't be long before the mud flaps are damaged?
mr P

Postby FOX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 am

I don't recall if you have many speed bumps in Canada and what type they are, but the problem with the mud flaps scraping the bumps is particularly with those where the car falls too sudden and that's when the flaps scrape. I'll try to take a pic to illustrate what I'm trying to explain as soon as I get my insurance policy.
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Previous

Return to Suspension\Tires\Wheels Talk