limits of the stock clutch

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

limits of the stock clutch

Postby podgers » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:49 pm

I have searched IMOC, and asked RickyB via email, and have yet to get an answer. It's a matter of saving hundreds of dollars and keeping the same pedal feel I'm used to if I were to just get another OEM clutch, but if I reach my power goals (260-270rwhp) then I would hate for that to be too high and wear out the new clutch immediately.

Is there a definitive word on the subject that I've just missed?

EDIT: Narfy how much would a new OEM clutch for a 91 turbo go for? Does one typically replace the master and slave cylinders as well?
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:09 pm

I spoke with Manj today on your behalf (I hope you do not mind). He is looking into the Clutchmasters he was talking to you about. He also has another idea he wants to toss your way. I think you will find it intriguing.

Email him again...give him another chance: manjit@bcmr2.com
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby sean » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:50 pm

Well, HP isn't really the limiting factor. Are you gonna drive it hard? I think 300rwhp is around the limit for the stock clutch as far as I've heard. Although with that said, I wouldn't put a stock clutch back in my car, because honestly, power goals never stick. Once the bug bites, you always want more. You're kidding yourself to think otherwise.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby camshaft » Tue Oct 21, 2003 5:36 pm

Narfy how much would a new OEM clutch for a 91 turbo go for? Does one typically replace the master and slave cylinders as well?

Stock clutch for a MKII is like 400-430 ish +tx for pressure plate, disc, and release bearing

Personally you have to go aftermarket....
With a turbo upgrade.... stock clutch isn't going to like that ;(

Normally you don't replace the clutch slave or clutch master.

For you clutch choice........
All depends on what your doing......
Stock clutch is really not made to handle much more then stock power numbers. This is from the amount of holding force in the pressure plate

ACT give you a % over stock

Image38% Over Stock holding force...
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby drscam » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:21 pm

Most MR2 owners that use ACT really like them. But most (including Manj) recommend Clutchmasters. There are a few thread(s) on this:

http://www.bcmr2.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1700

http://www.bcmr2.com/forums/phpBB2/view ... tchmasters

http://www.bcmr2.com/forums/phpBB2/view ... tchmasters
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:47 pm

Sean : point taken. Thing is though, my power goals are to max out the fuel system. It's not so much my power goals that will limit me, but my chequebook. I don't know how interested or capable I am of spending thousands for the "big" power.
EDIT: and yeah I like driving hard. Tonight on the way home from work I did some hard launches and kept trying to hit fuel cut in 3rd but it just wasn't happening. Cam I'm pressing down on the pedal you told me to!

Manj really sold me on the CM. Cam my mechanic here also recommended the ACT, but the dirt sheets murmured that they were "prone to chatter". SPEC caught my eye, but I liked the quality assurance of CM.

I'll email Manj again and see what he thinks. I just figured he had other things going on besides looking for aftermarket car parts right now.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby sean » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:22 am

well 260-270 isn't maxing out the fuel system. It's good for 300-350 depending on who you talk to.

But as time progresses, more mods can be afforded. Get a good clutch now. CM is probably the way I'd go as well.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby podgers » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:45 am

"...depending on who you talk to."
Yeah, no kidding. Problem is whoever you're talking to may not necessarily be reliable. The numbers I've seen from the most trusted sources are 280-300. Why someone would try to stretch it further than 300 goes beyond reason.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby sean » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:16 pm

cause upgrading fuel system isn't that cheap. We all try to push what we have to the limits. Seems more logical than buying 550's on a stock setup like plenty of people are doing.

The T3/T4 kit that KO Racing is selling supports 300rwhp roughly, and on a full stock car. You might want to upgrade IC. They told me stock fuel was fine though. Approaching the limits. Ideally, get 550's and Standalone. Budget is always a part of it though.
sean
Grandfather '2

Return to MKII Specific Shop