Occasional bump steer

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Occasional bump steer

Postby RePete » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:54 am

Just wondering if other members get this with their MKIIs. I get slight bump steer to the left on the occasional tar strip or series of close wave like bumps when going in a straight line, corners are much better. I've changed the wheels/tires twice already and, as far as I know, it has stock suspension - sure feels like it anyway. Anybody know what I can do, what parts may be worn or what I should replace? :? Sometimes it's a bit unsettling.

BTW, my MKI SC didn't do that with the stock suspension & doesn't do that now with the Eibach/Tokico setup either going over the same road.

Thanks.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby drscam » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:13 pm

Could be anything from wheel allignment to worn suspension parts...

Hard to say. May be wheel balancing also; however, this is doubtful as you have changed your wheels and tires often.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:42 pm

As Aly said it could be an alignment issue, but another thing I'll add to the mix is a slightly bent wheel.

I get the unsettling feeling when going over an uneven road that all 4 wheels aren't on the same page. And when braking, it invariably pulls to the wheels to turn to the right. I guess this is a sign of warped rotors, but since I get the feeling sometimes even when not braking I'm suspecting one or more than one of my stock 91 rims are on their deathbed.

Not to hijack your thread, just point out another possibility if you're driving on 12 year old wheels like me.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:50 pm

As Aly said it could be an alignment issue, but another thing I'll add to the mix is a slightly bent wheel.

Yeah, I thought of that too. I was riding on the 91 factory wheels for a few months and it was way worse on those ones. When I got my new wheels I strutted over to the car confidently thinking "Yup, my bump steer is behind me!". Nope, still around but not as bad, mostly if not all in the rear. So far, I elicit blank stares from mechanics and I'm afraid to get a quote from TOYOTA. I think something's worn but I don't know enough about the suspension to speculate...
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby podgers » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:04 pm

If you're getting into suspension then you're getting into things like "ball joints" and "end links", things which I know nothing about - they're just terms I see bandied about on IMOC. Frankly I don't want to have anything to do with fixing little parts like this, but if you've got new wheels, and your alignment is fine, then I'm afraid that is where the problem is going to lie.

A search on IMOC (now that the feature is back online) may well yield what you're looking for.

Sean (who I havn't seen online in a while) probably has ideas as well.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:11 pm

If you're getting into suspension then you're getting into things like "ball joints" and "end links"

I was afraid of that. I don't much like getting into the inner workings of the suspension myself.

Sean (who I havn't seen online in a while) probably has ideas as well.

Wonder if he's on vacation. I was hoping he'd comment since he seems to know the most about that. I've got two decent mechanics from generic repair shops who are scratching their heads on this.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby drscam » Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:12 pm

WhiteSC wrote: and I'm afraid to get a quote from TOYOTA. I think something's worn but I don't know enough about the suspension to speculate...

Go see Cam!! His rates are far less than TOYOTA if you are prepared to drive to Cloverdale. His contact info is in our directory off of the main page.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Return to MKII Specific Shop