Ack! Belt snapped! Drivable?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Ack! Belt snapped! Drivable?

Postby todzilla » Sun May 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Okay, I did nothing to provoke this - no high revs on a highway run, no jackrabbit starts off the lights, nothing! Just cruising home from the North Shore at a leisurely pace and pulled into my alley and all of a sudden, it sounds like there's a guy with a tin can full of nuts and bolts in my engine bay! This fairly horrendous rattling that I'd never experienced before! I was on a downhill slope to my parking garage so I shut it off immediately to see if it was engine bay noise or something I ran over stick in my undercarriage or something. The noise was gone, as I coasted into my stall, so the latter option was eliminated. I started it, and it was back...for a few moments...then the sound faded away. I again shut it down and popped the hood. Looked ok. Then I peeked under passenger side wheelwell, and there it was - a broken belt half dangling off the pulley (rearward and above the oil filter.) I guess the sound was the remains of the broken belt flopping around?

Not sure which belt this is, or how destructive it is to drive the car til I get it in - which won't be Tuesday, with the holiday!!

I think it's an accessory belt? The A/C belt has been removed, and (dumb as this sounds) - these cars don't have power steering, right?

So my question is basically, any idea which is is, how much of a pain it will be to replace, and if I can drive it - all accessories off - during the daytime tomorrow?

Thanx for any and all help and advice!
todzilla

Re: Ack! Belt snapped! Drivable?

Postby Oteck » Sun May 17, 2015 8:16 pm

alternator belt... takes 30-60min if you know what your doing
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby todzilla » Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Yup! Just had a mobile mechanic pop by and take as peek. Looks like a strand of it has tore off leaving a portion of the belt still 'there' but obviously needing replacement. He figures an hour labor and I hope about $25 for the belt at Lordco? Any idea if the belt is the same length/part number for a JDM 2L as the N/A 2.2? I'm thinking probably not.......
todzilla

Postby Oteck » Mon May 18, 2015 1:27 pm

thow away the jdm word, it still a 3sgte usdm or not. unless it's a gen3+ then they may be different.
And yea they can be bought at lordco but it will be super tight at first
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Postby todzilla » Tue May 19, 2015 1:06 am

It's not a turbo so it's not the GTE - just the 3S-GE model, and there is a difference between the non-turbo MR2's of here and the JDM motors....which was a factor in my decisin :mrgreen:

For what it's worth, it's done. Took 25 minutes and the belt (Lordco) was $20! Back to business!
todzilla

Return to MKII Specific Shop