We would like to gauge your interest:

interested; but, I have plans that day.
25%
l be there; this sounds F.U.N.
75%

Total votes : 4

February 22, 2003 An intro to TSD Rally

Postby drscam » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:06 am

We have been cordially invited to attend an introduction to TSD Rally (Time, Speed, Distance) hosted by BMW. I would like to encourage attendance as if there is enough support of this type of event at the end of the day, we may incorporate a rally as an upcoming events solely for BCMR2; this may also make an excellent addition to BC2003. This rally promises to start in Burnaby where you will be privy to see some great classic cars you would otherwise not ever get to see. I am pretty sure my uncle's '58 BMW 507 1 of 223 made world wide and the only one in Canada(inspiration for Z8) will be there. Please use the poll if you are interested. You will require one driver and one navigator per vehicle. As it is extremely difficult to read a map and drive simultaneously. Winter beaters are also invited.

Here are the details:

BMW Car Club of British Columbia
TSD = Time, Speed, Distance
A fun safe mini rally series for enthusiasts
Saturday February 22, 2003
An introduction to TSD Rally. Entry fee $15* per car.
We start the day with a boardroom session to teach people Classic Rally Rules. We will then transit the teams to a simple non-timed TSD. (A TSD stage that is done completely in "Safety Zone") In other words, there will be off course traps but no timing checkpoints.
You can find some reference info about this kind of school here
Registration is mandatory. To sign up for this event use our Karelo link where you can register and pay on line, or reply by email to events@bmwccbc.org with your detials to reserve a spot. You can also call Rolf Drommer @ 604-671-5843 or Dave Beddows @ 604-816-2467.

*The entry fee has been updated to allow for a light sandwhich tray lunch to be included.

We'll have more info on this series soon.
Mini TSD Rally Series, all on paved roads, all at posted limits or under. The object is to follow the instructions, and be on time at the check points. Should be lots of fun.
More details to follow.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

I will be there for sure.

Postby drscam » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:13 am

I will be attending with my second cousin as navigator. I have not yet decided as to whether I am driving a BMW (uncle offered one to drive) or my MR2...It depends on which BMW. I hope to see a good turnout from this club as I would like to add a rally to an upcoming event this year. By attending this meet we would not have to waste time re-explaining rally rules again as we should know what to expect.

Also these are the guys that have possible stolen our AutoX day at Trade-X. I would like to show them what iind of car enthusiasts ewe are in hopes of asking for the one day we require out of the 5 weeks they have booked.

Winter beaters are invited also even if they are.... Image
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:05 am

Who else is coming to this event (two votes now)?

IF you are interested in attending please post below so I can

a) figure where the best meeting place and time prior to heading to Burnaby (Rally start point) I was thinking the ovious (Lougheed Mall).

b) give exact numbers to the BMW Club of BC
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby sean » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:09 am

I said I'll be coming. But it is tentative. Sadly enough, work comes first and I may not be in the country. If I'm around, I'm there for sure.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby MR2WSN » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:14 pm

I would have thought a vote would have a "no, not interested" option. :?

Feb 15th is a difficult time for a rally because many cars are having a long winters nap, or are allergic to falling water of which there could be quite a bit at this time of year.

I'm going to have to decline attending the rally, although if it were planned for sunnier spring-like weather it could be quite cooooool. 8)

Don
MR2WSN
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:51 pm

Don604 wrote:I would have thought a vote would have a "no, not interested" option. :?

Feb 15th is a difficult time for a rally because many cars are having a long winters nap, or are allergic to falling water of which there could be quite a bit at this time of year.

I'm going to have to decline attending the rally, although if it were planned for sunnier spring-like weather it could be quite cooooool. 8)

Don

The above post(s) clearly states the following:

1) Date = Feb 22 (right in the title)

2) All car types are welcome (winter beaters included)

3) This is a novice meet for those (like myself) who have no idea what is involved in rallying.

If this goes well and participants agree, we will have a BCMR2 Rally at least once a year. The organizer has told me he loves to host various rallies and is not limited to classic and BMW automobiles. He will organize the BCMR2 Rally as well.

I did not include a "no, not interested" option as this would indicate a negative response and I did not forsee any negativity. If there was any negativity I would rather see a post such like you have done rather than a number in a poll as this will not explain why the member is not interested in attending.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby RePete » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:57 pm

I'd have liked to have gone with my beat to hell Honda but my better half needs it for work, though I'd probably leave half my sub-frame behind whipping around the course since that thing is so rotten.

I also agree with don604 in that slippin' around in the rain might interfere with some of the fun. It definitely could be a good learning experience though because I don't know thing one about the rules of rallying either.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby drscam » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:24 pm

You can always volunteer to assist a fellow MR2er navigate.

As for the rain being an issue.. There is no speeding in on road rallying. In fact you are heavily penalized for speeding.

This is not like the off-road rallies you see on tv. I will post more info as I receive it. These guys rally to places such as Alaska from Vancouver in cars worth far more than our MR2 and weather is not an issue for them. This is a huge point considering that many of the classic cars they rally in are priceless and have no roof for protection against the elements. The tires they ride on are a little wider than that of a mountain bike. I do not think we have anything to worry about. You will be safe as long as you adhere to the rules that will be explained and laid out.

See here for some good info.....

http://www3.telus.net/bmw/bcclassicrall ... school.htm
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:05 pm

I received the following email from Dave Beddows*Founding Member of BMW Car Club of BC)

The BCClassic Rally page has been updated.

Here is a link to the Rally info:
http://www3.telus.net/bmw/bcclassicrally/feb222003.htm

On Feb 22,2003 the BC Classic Rally Series in conjuction with the BMW Car Club of BC are putting on the 1st in a 3 part Classic TSD Rally Training series. The purpose of these events are to teach the rules of Classic TSD.
A Classic TSD event is done on all paved roads and at or below the leagal speed limit. To win such an event the teams much stay on time and not get lost. These events have been very popular in Europe for many years and we are trying to bring the experience to people outside of the older british car clubs.

Similiar events are held regularly throughout the NorthWest by classic and british car clubs. In the interest of increasing their participation, they regularly open enrollment to other clubs. These events are loads of fun and quite addictive.

We would like to invite your members to come to our training rallies so that they can see what this type of event is all about. The cost is $15/team which goes towards a light lunch.

For more information visit the event page at:
http://www3.telus.net/bmw/bcclassicrally/feb222003.htm

I encourage all of you to read over the above website and to peruse the rules and regulations. I would like to show the BMW Club that we have a good following of car enthusiasts here....They will break the cap of 25 teams for us...if they need to.

Please RSVP ASAP.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Spyder » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:06 pm

If i get the wheels back on my car in time i will be coming also.
Racing is the only real sport, all others require only one ball.
Spyder
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:24 pm

Please RSVP ASAP:

Aly
Danny
Sean
Peter T.

Please note that every vehicle requires a driver and a navigator. All cars are invited to attend (winter beaters included)
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Spyder » Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:37 pm

I dont know if i will be able to make it... just got the motor in my car yesterday, still have lots of things left to do tho... plus the break in... I will keep you informed as to my progress tho.
Spyder
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:04 pm

drscam wrote:Please RSVP ASAP:

Aly
Danny
Sean
Peter T. (maybe)

Please note that every vehicle requires a driver and a navigator. All cars are invited to attend (winter beaters included)

I need to know if you are interested so I can give the numbers to BMW BC Car Club. If you are on this list and cannot attend also advise me. If you are not on the list and would like to attend I really need to know by this February 14, 2003.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Spyder » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:39 pm

I dont think i will be able to make it. Got the motor running today, but lots of little stuff left, including the break it, and seeing as i dont drive it daily, it'll have to be a weekend... ie: saterday... sorry guys.
Spyder
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:50 pm

I guess I am the only one attending this meet? Does anyone want to be my navigator?
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Next

Return to All Past Events Archive