Podgers Information on importing a car into Canada from USD.

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

The last hiccup

Postby podgers » Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:37 pm

UPDATE:
I now have called customs (both countries) and am ready to get the 72 countdown started. One problem : I need the US border people to fax/email me the VEHICLE EXPORT FORM which they insist is vital to the process. It is one of the 3 forms they demand be faxed before the 72 hour countdown begins (VEF, bill of sale, title).

Since I want to do this thursday, in fact it's quite important i do this thursday, I want to get this faxing done monday morning at the latest, but not trusting them I'll do it friday. So the us customs lady took my email addy at 2 today and promised to email this form. I don't remember asking her when, but when time is of the essence and you close at 4 (! my bank is open later than that!) one would assume she would send it before 4! 4:37 and the fucking form isn't in my inbox. Ignorant customs officer (tm) #2 just told me that "she must have gotten sidetracked, call back tomorrow between 8 and 4". The incompetance on display here is enough to make me ill. Of course the form is not available online, the bewildered ICO #2 was surprised I wasn't just picking it up in person. If you're importing a car, what are the odds you're right on the border, so you can drive down and pick up a f*&%ing form that should be on the website anyway? I mean really, get a f$@*ing clue.

Now I suppose I'll call them tomorrow from school, and get them to fax immediately to the student union building. If it doesn't come then, I'll just call back and tell them again. The world ends if that form is not in my hands by friday 3pm, it's that simple gentlemen.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby Landon_F » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:14 pm

Ahhh, this is getting intense.
Get someone to go pick you up the form. I'm pretty close to the border (about 35 mins) and Sean is even closer.

C'mon man, something little like this can't stop you know.

This is just like an action/suspense movie, and an R rated one at that (for all the profanity). :yourock:
Landon_F
Baby '2

Postby drscam » Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:32 pm

James....

You are so close...you have us all (especially Landon) on the edge of our seats in anticipation....I hope this is only a cliffhanger leading towards a happy ending...

Let us know if we can assist in any way. I do not think anyone here will turn you away....just ask.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:33 pm

Landon, Drscam,

I appreciate the good will and the offers very much. But as much respect as I lost for the US customs people today, I still think they'll come through for me tomorrow. I can not justify getting someone from this board (though I know they'd do it, because it is in fact you guys who rock, not I) for a task as menial as this. All it takes is 1 minute for them to send that email. Not only will I be persistant tomorrow, I've got another guy calling them up asking for the form by fax or email also. Between the two of us, I will have that form by 2:30 when I get home. That gives me plenty of time to receive the fax from the seller containing the title and bill of sale. Then I fill out the form and send to customs.

Easy as pie.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby pizzaMR2 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:57 am

REVscene.net wrote:Importing a Vehicle into Canada

Transport Canada http://www.pcb.ca/vimp.asp

For vehicles manufactured for sale in the US, check with The Registrar of Motor Vehicles @ 1-888-848-8240 to see if the vehicle is admissible in Canada. For all other vehicles call Transport Canada @ 1-800-333-0371. Websites: www.riv.ca or www.tc.gc.ca

Before leaving the USA:

There are special procedures to follow. Any self-propelled vehicle coming from the US must be reported to US Customs 72 hours prior to export from the US. This includes vehicles that are not licensed for the road such as excavators, bulldozers, golf carts, etc. Failure to do so will result in a $400.00 USD fine by US Customs. The vehicle must also stop at US Customs before it physically crosses into Canada. Copies of the bill of sale and the title (the front and back) must be faxed to US Customs and if no title is required then a letter from the exporting state's Department of Motor Vehicles stating that no title is required for that type of vehicle must be provided. You also need to have the supplier certify in writing that the sale is a bona fide sale and that the vehicle is not stolen. Fax to US Customs in Blaine, Wash. @ 1-360-332-2341 or phone 1-360-332-2632.

Canada Customs & Revenue Agency

For vehicles being imported from the US (must be registered in the US) there is no age restriction. For vehicles being imported from all other countries there are restrictions - contact Customs @ 1-800-461-9999 or 1-613-946-1520 to see if the vehicle is admissible. Also confirm what documentation is required and what value the charges will be assessed against. Website: www.ccra.gc.ca

Import Charges

Duty may apply to the vehicle - possible 6.1% duty
GST will be collected at the time of import - 7%
Excise Tax applies if there is air conditioning in the vehicle - $100.00
PST will be collected at the time the vehicle is insured
HST will be collected if applicable in that province.
RIV fees of $192.00 will be collected at time of import

CFIA - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Vehicle being imported from a country other than the USA may require special steam cleaning. Call 1-800-835-4486 to find out more details. Website: www.cfia-acia.agr.ca

Please contact Pacific Customs Brokers if you have any more questions.

Phone:
Toll-Free @ (888) 538-1566
Local (Vancouver) @ (604) 538-1566

Email: vehicles@pcb.ca

oh!
Don't worry about the last part. With the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. They don't care about used vehicles from the USA. They only care about vehicles from overseas. Only Vehicles from the USA that they care about are agricultural equipment or anything that was used on dirt and soil.

I know..I work for them :) :)
pizzaMR2
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:10 am

podgers17 wrote:Landon, Drscam,

I appreciate the good will and the offers very much. But as much respect as I lost for the US customs people today, I still think they'll come through for me tomorrow. I can not justify getting someone from this board (though I know they'd do it, because it is in fact you guys who rock, not I) for a task as menial as this. All it takes is 1 minute for them to send that email. Not only will I be persistant tomorrow, I've got another guy calling them up asking for the form by fax or email also. Between the two of us, I will have that form by 2:30 when I get home. That gives me plenty of time to receive the fax from the seller containing the title and bill of sale. Then I fill out the form and send to customs.

Easy as pie.

Offer stands....let us know, dude. I will see you in Victoria tonight or Friday. PM me your phone # and I will call you when I arrive.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

UPDATE

Postby podgers » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:13 am

Customs just emailed me the export form. There are two lessons to be learned from this:
1) Allow plenty of time to get this form. I first called them a week before my intended vehicle purchase day, and with all the hassle it was not enough time.
2) They seem to ignore you the first time. Keep calling but be polite.

And if anyone is reading this who also plans on importing, just give me a shout as I have the generic form saved on my computer in word format. Why they don't post this on a website I do not know. But bcmr2 administrators, you guys could post this up if you want... the fact that customs doesn't have it up means maybe you guys shouldn't, but just say the word if you want me to forward you the form.

So all should be fine now. Inspection takes place in 40 minutes down there and I'll know in an hour 40 minutes how things went.
podgers
Papa '2

Re: UPDATE

Postby drscam » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:12 am

podgers17 wrote:But bcmr2 administrators, you guys could post this up if you want... the fact that customs doesn't have it up means maybe you guys shouldn't, but just say the word if you want me to forward you the form.

email it to me (aly@bcmr2.com) I will host it.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby drscam » Fri Feb 28, 2003 11:13 am

drscam wrote:
podgers17 wrote:But bcmr2 administrators, you guys could post this up if you want... the fact that customs doesn't have it up means maybe you guys shouldn't, but just say the word if you want me to forward you the form.

email it to me (aly@bcmr2.com) I will host it.
Way to be persistant with Canada Customs.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

update

Postby podgers » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:41 pm

the mechanics check went well. 160 across the board for compression which is good enough for me. Just did all my faxing to customs and they said it's sufficient to start the 72 hour countdown. I'll be going down thursday.

The last step is to get a clean bill of recalls. I understand there are 2 recalls for the mkII turbo (at least according to burlien toyota) and this has had only one done on it. The a/c didn't get recalled, but Thomas (my seller) went and fixed the thing at his own expense a year ago. Burlien assured me this was good enough. So I'm waiting for an email from them saying they will fax me a clean bill of recalls, or at least have one available for me to pick up on thursday. Hopefully this recall thing goes better for me than it did for you eh Spyder.

That's it I think. I'll leave you all alone now, at least until thursday.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:43 pm

VEHICLE EXPORT WORKSHEET
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

finito

Postby podgers » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:39 pm

I got the car! It was a LONG day but it's over, and I have a 91 turbo. I'm happy with the condition of the car, with only a few glaring things I'll need to attend to immediately.
1) the boost guage is shit. I don't even know what it's saying. 20mm Hg? huh? that's a lot more than 15 psi i think. anyways this thing will be the first to go.
2) windshield wipers don't work too well
3) TRD shift knob was stolen so I've got a nice TRD boot and a stock knob. Someday I want to get a momo actually, or a trd would be nice too. I'm content to wait for a group buy or something.
4) oil hasn't been changed in 3000 miles so obviously that is on the agenda asap.
5) standard tune up that sean recited for me last weekend and i'm too tired to remember. I wrote it all down though. cap, plugs, etc.
6) I noticed some wind noise, and he said that is from when the window was broken when his boost guage and knob were stolen. I'm hoping this isn't a problem fixing.
7) the thing that holds the engine hood open is breaking. I know, i'm reaching.
8) the coolant that I've made an appt for a week today. I'll see what metro will charge for this whole shebang, and be the first to go bcmr2 on their ass and get that discount.
9) actually get the inspections done so i can insure the damn thing.

By the way, border went well. They forgot to charge duty! So bonus on that. Wait was minimal, which might have been because I got there at 5 to 4. Close call. Didn't have to produce recall notice which was nice. Life is good.

I've been awake since 5 and havn't gotten much sleep this past week, so I'm not thinking clearly enough to thank all of you for your support and insightful replies. I have trouble expressing thanks for help sometimes, and I hope that hasn't been the case here. Guys like Drscam, EDstacy, Sean, Spyder, Holyrain, Landon, everybody, you all make this club great.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby sean » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:17 am

1) it's probalby cm Hg, which is centimeters of Mercury. Another unit of pressure.

2)New wipers are cheap. If they're original arms, get new toyota blades.

3)TRD boot? Ok, never heard of one. TRD knobs are on Ebay constantly. There are plenty of others

4)Oil, has it been run with synthetic or regular?

5)Cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter. Not saying they all need to be replaced, but if there are problems, these are the first things to check.

6)If it's from when it was broken, it was probably just not adjusted right.

7)Talk to Drscam. Strut rods on the way. (kinda like a hatchback)

8)You don't need to say anything there about BCMR2, but anything to do with MR2 club will get the discount.

9)Inspections are good. Go to a decent mechanic. He's more likely to help you out with required repairs. (Midas out there is what I'm hearing)

No duty? Kick ass.

I'm just glad someone like you is joining our little club. The more enthusiastic people the better. Can't wait to see ya at future meets with a big grin driving your MR2 with the rest of us. :)
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Re: finito

Postby drscam » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:26 am

podgers17 wrote:7) the thing that holds the engine hood open is breaking. I know, i'm reaching.

I am working on a hydrolic strut...bear with me should only be a week or so before I can actually have them in stock for sale.

podgers17 wrote:By the way, border went well. They forgot to charge duty! So bonus on that. Wait was minimal, which might have been because I got there at 5 to 4. Close call. Didn't have to produce recall notice which was nice. Life is good.

That's great.. Lifes little favours...

podgers17 wrote:I have trouble expressing thanks for help sometimes, and I hope that hasn't been the case here. Guys like Drscam, EDstacy, Sean, Spyder, Holyrain, Landon, everybody, you all make this club great.

Congratulations on the sale and I hope to see you in Vancouver one day soon.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:35 am

sean wrote:1) it's probalby cm Hg, which is centimeters of Mercury. Another unit of pressure.
okay, well I'm not going to forget billwot's advice of "a top quality boost guage" being the first mod. This one in there now doesn't inspire confidence.
2)New wipers are cheap. If they're original arms, get new toyota blades.
hey good. yeah the ones on now seem to only add rain to the windshield.
3)TRD boot? Ok, never heard of one. TRD knobs are on Ebay constantly. There are plenty of others
the boot does not look stock, and if he says it's trd i'm inclined to believe him. This is one of those matters where i can't say I give a shit.
4)Oil, has it been run with synthetic or regular?

mobil 1 only, not only for the life of the car with him (just over a year) but also the owner he bought it from.
5)Cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter. Not saying they all need to be replaced, but if there are problems, these are the first things to check.
done as soon as I can get in, thanks.
6)If it's from when it was broken, it was probably just not adjusted right.
hmmm yeah that's what he indicated too. at 100 the wind noise gets quite noticable, almost like a window is open a bit. [/quote]
7)Talk to Drscam. Strut rods on the way. (kinda like a hatchback)
well Scam you've got my attention. This should be interesting! I'll hold off on fixing this then.
8 )You don't need to say anything there about BCMR2, but anything to do with MR2 club will get the discount.
cool. I'll be the fact finder here in Vic and try out metro for the boost guage, get spedometer checked (my mom says I was doing 125 km when I RARELY went over 65mph from what I saw. I think she's just excitable but it's an aftermarket guage cluster so it's worth a check), sean's health check, wipers, oil change, tranny fluid (3rd can be a grind so I'm thinking get some "Redline" in there stat), and ask about the coolant flush.
9)Inspections are good. Go to a decent mechanic. He's more likely to help you out with required repairs. (Midas out there is what I'm hearing)
Yeah, I'm thinking Midas for the inspection, the one mentioned in the Vic mechanic thread in General. It's really too bad we couldn't make it into Vancouver for the mechanic I wanted there, but it just wasn't going to happen yesterday for two reasons:
a) my parents wanted to go home and sleep
b) i'm not nearly as good a driver as i thought. damn that clutch is heavier than a subaru.

Hey Sean I'm still reeling that you got a 93T. Needless to say I did not see that coming. Heartfelt congratulations!
podgers
Papa '2

PreviousNext

Return to Buy & Sell Archive