question about importing cars to canada

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

question about importing cars to canada

Postby podgers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:54 pm

Well I'm thinking this may be my time. I'm looking at a car from the seattle area. While reading up on the whole process and talking with the seller, we had an idea.

So my question is : can some of the fees (such as the 6.1% duty and the gst charged at the border) be averted by the seller bringing the car up to canada and the deal finished up here? Or would they just charge this when changing ownership when they charge the PST?

I was racking my memory for which bcmr2 member imported. Is it sean? Regardless, any thoughts you guys have would be great.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby kungfucop » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:04 pm

If I remember correctly, it doesn't matter if the deal is closed in the US or in Canada. For a car to be legally imported into Canada, you must get the paperwork done at the border. So if your american buddy brings the car up to Canada and sells it to you here, you will have to drive it back to the border anyways to get the paperwork done and pay all the importation fees/taxes. Otherwise you won't be able to insure it here. You also need some document from Toyota stating that your car has been serviced for any recalls. Once you finished getting raped at the border, then you get to spend more money converting to day time running lights, seatbelt checks (child restraint?), brakes, and other safety things at an inspection center.
- Jeff
Pale Yellow 91T
kungfucop
Baby '2

Postby sean » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:34 pm

It wasn't me. The fact that this car is in Seattle makes it quite a bit more realistic though. It's a doable trip to get the inspection done and get necessary issues cleared up before it crosses the border. As for cost, that's an unknown to me, but it's not gonna be cheap. If you get the car for the right price, it could definetely be worth it.

I really can't see you being able to skip out on any of the costs. The government is pretty efficient at screwing us all over in every way possible. They generally cover all options.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby podgers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:46 pm

:) Yeah they'll get me no matter what I guess.

Thanks guys, you've actually answered my question about whether icbc would just insure the vehicle without having gone through the bs at the border.

kungfucop it seems you're right, but you can actually take it to any canada customs office apparently. This is a plus as I'd like to stay away from the border if possible.

It's too bad, a once blow away deal doesn't look so blow away when you factor in a 6.1% duty, gst, $100 excise tax, $182 import fee, and the price of a bc inspection. Still, if I can talk the guy down to a reasonable price, and the carfax comes out clean, I'll go for it.

I don't think they'll accept a mechanic's inspection from the states, so it will be quite the day trip, getting across the border, inspection and change of ownership in vancouver, and then hopping on the ferry back to victoria and insuring it there. We'll see how it goes.

If it goes through I'll post how it went for the next guy who thinks about doing this.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby podgers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:48 pm

kungfucop wrote:If I remember correctly, it doesn't matter if the deal is closed in the US or in Canada. For a car to be legally imported into Canada, you must get the paperwork done at the border. So if your american buddy brings the car up to Canada and sells it to you here, you will have to drive it back to the border anyways to get the paperwork done and pay all the importation fees/taxes. Otherwise you won't be able to insure it here. You also need some document from Toyota stating that your car has been serviced for any recalls. Once you finished getting raped at the border, then you get to spend more money converting to day time running lights, seatbelt checks (child restraint?), brakes, and other safety things at an inspection center.

By the way, the worst part of that is having to convert to a metric dashboard. I can live with the daytime lights, I'll make sure the brakes are good, child restraint i'm hoping they'll wave due to the 2 seat nature of the car. As for the recall notices and various forms it's a good thing there's plenty of information available on the mr2.com.
We'll see...
podgers
Papa '2

Postby kungfucop » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:06 pm

podgers17 wrote:By the way, the worst part of that is having to convert to a metric dashboard. I can live with the daytime lights, I'll make sure the brakes are good, child restraint i'm hoping they'll wave due to the 2 seat nature of the car. As for the recall notices and various forms it's a good thing there's plenty of information available on the mr2.com.
We'll see...

According to RedTwo, who imported his deuce from the US, all they require you to do for the instrument cluster is to put some stickers on the clear plastic/glass part of your cluster (or maybe on gauge face itself). Basically you just need to put numbered stickers representing KM/H on the outside ring of your speedometer, covering the MPH numbers. Once the inspection is done, you can just rip the stickers off and toss it...heh. Much cheaper than replacing the speedo. But I suspect it really depends on the inspection center and how picky they are.
- Jeff
Pale Yellow 91T
kungfucop
Baby '2

Postby podgers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:12 pm

^ very nice to know, thanks!
podgers
Papa '2

Postby Spyder » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:49 pm

Podgers, I think you were thinking of me that just brought a car across... anywho, heres the real low-down. (All fees are in cad) At the boarder, you have to go talk to us customs and provide paperwork (no fees tho), they inspect the car for vin's, then you goto canadian customs, pay $186 import free, 8% duty (or whatever it is that day), GST, hand in some more paper work, they inspect the car for Vin's, and your set to go. Then, you have to got through a federal and prov. inspection, federal just checks for compliance items, such as daytime running light, seatbelt thingie ($8 and it doesnt even have to be installed), ect. THen a prov. inspection checks all the regular stuff, after you pass both, you can register the car ect... but you have to pass both those inspections within 40 days, or you're basically f*&^ed, you have to export and/or destroy it... fun? no, but if the car is worth it, then go for it.

If you want some hints for doing it, pm me, i even ended up not paying duty (8.1% that day) because the canadian customs officer owned a red '86... pretty sweet... saved $900
Racing is the only real sport, all others require only one ball.
Spyder
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:02 pm

I have given this link to podgers already; however, there is alot of great info on importing cars into canada.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:36 pm

^yeah that's some good info. mr2.com and the IMOC board continue to amaze me at the depth of the information available.

spyder yeah it must have been you I was thinking of. Thanks for the info. I didn't realise you couldn't register your car until having BOTH inspections. For some reason I had assumed only the provincial one was required before registering. I think I took the wrong impression from the write up on mr2.com where he says the fed inspection is a breeze.

Okay well it's all good to know.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby Spyder » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:05 pm

The federal inspection is a breeze, if you have everything required, it takes only 10 mins, and its already paid for in your import fee, so its *free*.
Racing is the only real sport, all others require only one ball.
Spyder
Junior '2

Postby podgers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:18 pm

Spyder wrote:The federal inspection is a breeze, if you have everything required, it takes only 10 mins, and its already paid for in your import fee, so its *free*.

If things go further, I'll pick your brain more on the border process.

As it stands now though, things may be falling through. I took Aly's advice and played it classy and fair. Gave him a fair, non low ball offer that is pretty much the maximum what I'm willing to spend on the purchase, before all these taxes and fees.

We'll see if he's receptive. I don't think he's much for bartering though.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:23 pm

podgers17 wrote:I took Aly's advice and played it classy and fair.

There goes my reputation.....

All you can do is try...everyone has his price; however this guy is getting desperate as he needs to sell for financial reasons.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:01 pm

no car.

I got outbid by a local buyer at $7500. I offered $7000, was willing to go up to 7500, but no more. Less hassle I suppose.

oh well. thanks for the input guys.
podgers
Papa '2

Return to Buy & Sell Archive