Podgers Information on importing a car into Canada from USD.

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Postby Landon_F » Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:50 am

Good job on the car!
I can't beleive how persistant and dedicated you were to get it. That's a lot of work! I think it shows that you're exactly the kind of owner that deserves this car.

the boot does not look stock, and if he says it's trd i'm inclined to believe him. This is one of those matters where i can't say I give a shit.

Good call! I love this attitude. You are DEFINITELY the right kind of MR2 owner. There are more important matters to attend to that "what kind of shift boot do I own?"

So what kind of boost guage is this? I've seen a small HKS gauge that fits in the stock location. Is this the one?
And you talked of an aftermarket gauge cluster. Tell us more.

Again, good job on the car, now, let the bootsing begin!
Landon_F
Baby '2

Postby drscam » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:21 am

This just goes to shopw what pateince and perseverance and a bit of teamwork can accomplish. Great job James.

Now clean the car and take some pics. Email them and I will find somewhere to host them for you.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:14 pm

Hey Landon, thanks.
The boost guage that I don't like appears to be a "Type R". It's white, mounted on the pillar to the driver's left. I think it looks cool, but the readings don't make sense to me. I'm looking for something in psi actually, to keep my imperial unit system motif.

Which brings me to the guage cluster. Obviously it's not metric, but what I like about it is the guages are actually white, and glow this cool blue colour when the lights are on. Quite nifty, I thought, even if it's kiddy I suppose to be impressed by stuff like that.

The search function at IMOC is enabled, but I don't think it's working properly. What boost guage is acknoledged as being good? I'm not looking to spend more than $100 here. Is that unreasonable? Drscam what guage are you using (or planning on using when you get the FCD hooked up)?

If you guys want to see what the car looks like I have pictures taken by the previous owner as he was selling it. I'll take some of my own and maybe one with me in there too even though I despise being in pictures, just you guys can see what I look like in case you're ever in Vic and see a red 2. You don't want to confuse me with the guy who works at london drugs and didn't return my note!

Yeah, boost guage on the brain right now though. I'm scared to step on it until I see an accurate reading and can adjust the MBC so it's at 15 or less.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:40 pm

podgers17 wrote:Drscam what guage are you using (or planning on using when you get the FCD hooked up)?

I currently am using the Autometer Boost Gauge. MSRP is Approx$85. Looks similar to stock guages which is why I purchased and is probably one of the bang for the buck products as far as guages go...You can check the Autometer catalog. I think you can purchase at Lordco. Mopac was a bit cheaper when I purchased last year.

Here is a pic of the autometer 2 gauge pod A-pillar mount from their catalog:

The AFM gauge I have 2675 Air Fuel Ratio Works with most OEM and aftermarket oxygen sensors : Pretty much useless IMO; however "pretty light show while driving"

Boost guage I have: 2614 Boost 30 in Hg.-Vac./30 PSI

James, I will post pics of mine installed so you can see if this is something you want to do.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:38 pm

Yes, I would be very interested to see those guages installed! Damn I like that boost guage, everything I'm looking for. Does the Lordco discount apply to the store in Victoria on Burnside?

Also, does that guage available with a white background? I'll go check the website and see. It would be nice to keep symmetry on the dashboard.

I see from their catalog they do indeed make the white guages as I expected.

What makes a good boost guage, and does Autometer have these qualities? What is the OEM guage lacking that makes those in the know universally describe it as bad?

EDIT: silly for me to say it's everything I'm looking for, and then ask about a different colour. But the straightforward design and readability look great from that picture. I'd just like to keep the white with blue lighting thing.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby sean » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:51 pm

What makes a good boost guage, and does Autometer have these qualities? What is the OEM guage lacking that makes those in the know universally describe it as bad?

The Autometer is a good guage. The problem with the stock guage is that is has no values on it. So, it tells you if you're boosting, but you have no idea at what amount. some sort of scaled rating is very useful to be able to quantify the amount of boost. Helps a lot for tuning as well.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby drscam » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:07 pm

podgers17 wrote:Yes, I would be very interested to see those guages installed! Damn I like that boost guage, everything I'm looking for. Does the Lordco discount apply to the store in Victoria on Burnside?

Yes our Lordco discount applies to Victoria as well. Let me know the pricing and I will also check Mopac for you. If it is a lot cheaper at Mopac..I do not mind picking it up and shipping it to you.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Previous

Return to Buy & Sell Archive