looking for a Mk1 SC

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: looking for a Mk1 SC

Postby clinton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:21 am

Congrats Jim!

I am sure you made another buyer very happy.

I guess I was not so patient after all! :lol: Funny that I didn't even test drive the car and made the deal! When I felt the cleanliness of the wheel wells and saw the perfect front and rear valences I knew I had to buy this car.

The MR2 caused quite a stir with the garage staff and a few of their industry colleagues. An auto body shop owner came by to check out the car while it was on the hoist and was in disbelief. He has never seen a 26 year old toyota without a spot of rust anywhere on the body. Not even on those screws under the front bumper, etc etc.

I put about 200 clicks on it last Friday night and Saturday. The wifey seems to have accepted the mr2 after hearing all the glowing comments from everyone else other than me. :roll: She even parked her car outside to keep the MR2 out of the rain. Another plus is that it seems to get about 8l/100 even with a lead foot. I had to crank the tokicos down to 2 to eliminate the side ways hop in turns on bumpy roads though.

Rest assured that the car will be well cared for.

All fluids and belts are being changed with OEM parts if available. Evans waterless coolant will be used along with an OEM water pump change even though the existing is fine. OEM door hinges (still available at $100 per side!) arrived and will swap out the drivers side. The passenger side is perfect as is and will have a spare hinge. Brake lines will be changed out to braided stainless to stiffen its feel. The clutch will either be adjusted or master cylinder changed to smooth out and raise the release point. New enkei 92's and dunlops are on order and will let me preserve the original tear drops. Rear visor and fog light switch are coming from Paul Sims. And a few misc. OEM parts ordered to bring the car to 110%. I even ordered a jar of zymol rouge for the red paint... I'm not letting any detailing shop touch the single stage paint.

Thank goodness this did not turn out to be another project. The above work is really just maintenance compared to my other cars. :cry:

Now the problem is that this car is too nice to drive unless it is sunny and dry. Thoughts of getting another NA daily driver are brewing... But that will likely lead to a divorce! :o
clinton

Postby 2-yota » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:11 am

At least you'll already have a mistress lined up!

Enjoy your new Toy!
-Ed
Black MR2 Turbo
2-yota
Papa '2

Postby Taurus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:10 am

The Slight HArshness on the Cluthc Release Point ( and Slight Noise) is the Clutch Fork/ball Mechanism that applys force to the throwout bearing. . It Dries out after that many YEars. I had it in my blue supercharged and though about changing the release mecanim at the cluthc. If you ask a mechanic he can recommend applying a small amount lubricant/grease that will cure the problem fro a while.
Taurus
Baby '2

Postby clinton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:52 am

Sure hope it's not at the throw out bearing. The low pedal at release makes me think otherwise. Almost wishing it's the master cylinder and old fluid not coming under pressure near the top since that it a quick fix.

Dropping that tranny opens up a slough of other "might as well do it now" tasks... Like a new clutch, al flywheel, etc etc.
clinton

Postby clinton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:54 am

2-yota wrote:At least you'll already have a mistress lined up!

Enjoy your new Toy!

If only the rain will go away!
clinton

Postby Taurus » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:13 pm

It is possible that the release mechanism my not be working. But please check the Release fork it gets dry and need lubrication . It happened in my blue SC . There was nothing wrong with the clutch in my opinion . Those car has a self adjusting clutch it has a very low pick up point and cannotbe adjusted.

Remember what I said about gear oil . DO not use sythetic RED or what others recommend. In my experience these did not work as well as below.

Quaker State blend 1/2 and 1/2 of 75W90 GL5 and 75W140 GL5 gear oil . I put this in my BLUE supercharged MR2 and never did anything else to the drive train except replace to one clutch at 214,000 km started noticing slipping at 180,000km . 326000 KM when sold everything worked . When you drive this car briskly in the summer the transmission oil will heat up and get piss thin. You will then notice that the gear will tend to clip a bit. It never bothered me in the Red Supercharger Be cause I never really drove it that much or got it that hot. I used this blend in my blue superchargeD MR2 afeter I was considering changing out all the synchros during the clutch change.
Went with a blend of the above mentioned gear oil which in effect would give you somewhere between a 90 and 140 W , say a 75W115 and this allowed transmission to operate perfectly in my opinion.

My new ride 6.2 L Supercharged V8 same as one one in this link . Became available between the sale of the RED MR2 and the SPYDER
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6- ... e-zr1.html

By the way there was no rain in Delta or White Rock today . A perfect day for cruising the beach
Taurus
Baby '2

Postby clinton » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:52 pm

The rough clutch was a quick fix. A bolt at the pedal was loose and that was it.
Note taken about the gear oil.

I see a trend here with the supercharger and tail happy handling. At least the ZR-1 has a nanny to look watch your right foot.
clinton

Previous

Return to MKI Specific Shop