looking for a Mk1 SC

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

looking for a Mk1 SC

Postby clinton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi guys:
This is my first post here and hope to join this community with an MR2.

My other car that has a bit of cult following is a Suzuki Swift GT. I had a new swift back in the day and used to race with MR2's. It could hang with the N/A surprisingly. The MR2 was the car to have but it was out of my reach then. Well I can afford to relive my youth now, call it mid-life...

I am patiently looking for one. If any of you are thinking of passing on the torch or know of one available, please post or pm.

I prefer an '89, white, blue, oh that two tone grey is the ultimate like someone mentioned, less than 150000kms, with AC, no body kits and little to no mods. If its condition is good and price is right I am open to consider an '88 and other colours etc. A rust free car is more important than the mechanics since I can wrench it myself or have my nephew's garage fix things.

Canadian car is ideal but will consider one from the west coast states. The exchange rate and duty don't help though.

I have been keeping an eye out on CL, eBay, kijiji, etc for a couple of years. I have seen a few in person but couldn't pull the trigger for various reasons. And I have missed a few good ones for cheap on ebay because I could not travel down to inspect due to work. Most importantly I rather pay more for one from a real mr2 enthusiast who has taken care of the car properly.

I hope to hear from you. Wish me luck...

Clinton
Vancouver BC
clinton

Re: looking for a Mk1 SC

Postby adam » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:39 pm

What's your budget?
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby clinton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:07 pm

I wouldn't hesitate spending $12-16k for the right Canadian car. Most I have seen so far are not worth more than 6-7k. I am avoiding project cars but don't mind some mechanical work.
clinton

Postby Bravo 5 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:41 pm

1985 MR2, 1989 SC, 1991 n/a
Collector of MR2 memorabilia
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby clinton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:55 pm

I saw and test drove the car last summer.

As I have posted earlier, I am not interested in a project car.
clinton

Postby Bravo 5 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:36 pm

clinton wrote:I saw and test drove the car last summer.

As I have posted earlier, I am not interested in a project car.

Project car? What's wrong with it?
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby clinton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:12 pm

That is just my opinion on its asking price. As long as the potential buyer do their due diligence and sees it in person then he/she can form their own opinion about what the car is worth to them.

I shouldn't write about someone else's car publicly unless the purpose is to save a fellow member from wasting their time. Or should I? But I can confirm my dealings with this seller lasted over a year and I held off on seriously looking at many other cars until this deal fell through last week. It ended up being a complete waste of time, carproof and missed opportunities. So If I can save someone else this trouble, pm me.

Now let's get back on track and find me the right car.

Btw, anyone here know Heeter? His red one in Edmonton could be a good candidate. He seems to have taken great care of it like a real enthusiast.

Later
Clint
clinton

Postby adam » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:29 am

clinton wrote:
Btw, anyone here know Heeter? His red one in Edmonton could be a good candidate. He seems to have taken great care of it like a real enthusiast.

Later
Clint

This one looks beautiful.

You could search Bring A Trailer if you're not set on a Canadian car. Sometimes they show up, but it's mostly American.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby clinton » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Bring a trailer is pretty good. They show other cars that can and have taken my attention away from the mr2 though!

California, Oregon are a good sources for any rust free cars. Washington too but they have wet weather like vancouver. I missed an opportunity on a light blue by a few hours over the weekend on Craigslist. Original owner, retired and too old to get in and out of his. 130k miles. Sold it to a kid for $4000. That's around the going rate down south for salt and likely rust free MR2 SC. Given luck, patience and perseverance, those deals can be had.
clinton

Postby Bravo 5 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:02 pm

clinton wrote:Bring a trailer is pretty good. They show other cars that can and have taken my attention away from the mr2 though!

California, Oregon are a good sources for any rust free cars. Washington too but they have wet weather like vancouver. I missed an opportunity on a light blue by a few hours over the weekend on Craigslist. Original owner, retired and too old to get in and out of his. 130k miles. Sold it to a kid for $4000. That's around the going rate down south for salt and likely rust free MR2 SC. Given luck, patience and perseverance, those deals can be had.

Where did you see this car? What search sites do you use? Search tempest hasn't been working for me lately.
Bravo 5
Grandfather '2

Postby clinton » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Bravo 5 wrote:
Where did you see this car? What search sites do you use? Search tempest hasn't been working for me lately.

The white MR2 in parksville does not show up with search tempest so it is not too reliable.

The light blue was listed in Roseville, Ca. The listing is still up.
There was a two tone grey SC listed in Portland for $3000 that I missed too. When I contacted the seller, he removed the posting because it was already sold.\

At these prices, I would do a complete engine and tranny rebuild.
clinton

Postby adam » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:00 pm

I hope you find a good deal in your search. I was so lucky to find my car!
It's always good to see a buyer who is willing to pay good money for a good example.
adam
Grandfather '2

Postby clinton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Well...

after only a couple of weeks of purposeful looking I found my ideal / perfect car. It is red which is not my favourite colour but I am not complaining. Even the weather cooperated and gave me a small window of dry pavement to drive the car home today.

Price was within my range and the mileage was less than 70,000 km's, canadian car, condition is all original and is absolutely rust free.

I cannot wait until summer comes around so I can take this car out on the road.

Clint

PS. for those who are looking still, there is a blue SC in Portland listed for a very reasonable price.
clinton

Postby clinton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 pm

adam wrote:I hope you find a good deal in your search. I was so lucky to find my car!
It's always good to see a buyer who is willing to pay good money for a good example.

Honestly, I completely lucked out as well. The couple were looking for the right buyer and would not have sold it to any hooligan looking to mod the car. They were somewhat reluctant in selling until some other transaction took place but I insisted that I am a very motivated buyer.

When I bought my classic cars, a late car enthusiast friend repeatedly suggested that I contact the local club members. But I was stubborn and thought I could find a better, all original, rust free car from the southern states. Well I did find a couple that were own by the same family for 45+ years but they needed some minor work. Those cars are still sitting in my garage waiting for me to work on it. Meanwhile I could have purchased a local driver that I can immediately enjoy driving. The late friend had his own stories: He almost bought a 50's Merc gullwing back in the 60's but the seller backed out after knowing that it would be used as a daily driver. Sometimes the cars (or sellers) are the ones that choose us.

Lesson learned, I posted and searched here.... And made one key phone call to a number in an old post.
clinton

Postby Taurus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Thank you for purchasing the car Clinton . I also amazingly sold the Phantom Grey MKIII Spyder 8 Days ( which is today ) after you bought the RED SC . Trust me I had a feeling that the 2004 spyder would sell to the gentleman who eventually bought it. I really wanted two simultaneous buyers . Your enthusiasm onthe MKII SC impressed me but what you wanted to do with the car is your business.
I had some good fortune ,simultaneously two very interested , motivated buyers with myself being a motivated seller .
As for hooligans there are none as far as the MR2 Enthusiasts goes especially in this club. . Everyone straight up loves these cars and everyone has ther own ambitions/ desires as far as owning these classic cars. I seen some very awesome mods done on a lot of these cars by their owners. I have thourghly enjoyed driving a MKII SC for the past 21 years as a stock unmodified car.

Enjoy......
Taurus
Baby '2

Next

Return to MKI Specific Shop