another issue with my car/ Key codes

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Postby MR2Kid » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:15 pm

FOX wrote:You're right Cam, for a 91 (like mine) you need to get the number off the door cylinder, for 92 on, you can just provide your VIN nbr. I have already tried that at the Fletcher Jones Toyota at Las Vegas cuz I got the blanks for my car and they told me this. Now I wonder, how easy...or difficult is it to get the cylinder out?

I would love to have my "factory" keys, both owner and valet keys (I already have the blanks!) which I didn't get from the previous owner.

And by the way Matt, you could wire your car just like they do on race cars, one toggle switch to turn on the system and a push button to start! (but I do not think it would be too safe for street use tough!)

I'm thinking.. I have a starter kill already, plus and alarm, plus a club. What if I wired up push button ignition, with a switch to turn on the system and a button to start it.. and in addition to that, I hid a fuel cut switch. Basically having to turn on the fuel, the system, and push button start. To me that would be worth the trouble, as i'm planning on wiring in fuel cut anyways. I'm going to try getting a fresh cut key tommorow. Hopefully that works out. If not I'll probably order in the lock cylinder. Thanks for your input everyone.
-Matt
Previous owner of a 1993 MR2 Turbo (Yellow)
MR2Kid
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby camshaft » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 am

Well your problems with such a plan is...
A) your car is not a race car (flame away)
B) you need to talk to icbc to see if you insurance would be void
C) steering wheel lock

Problem with a switch is that your ignition has 4 functions. Most people only know of 3 and a 4th one if you have done wiring.
1) the obvious starting function
2) the obvious ignition function
3) accessory location to power just the radio
4) when starting 1-2 wires for the Run section drop power out.

A race car has no radio or any comfort accessories so many of these functions are removed.

Just spend the bucks and fix it right

MR2Kid wrote:
FOX wrote:You're right Cam, for a 91 (like mine) you need to get the number off the door cylinder, for 92 on, you can just provide your VIN nbr. I have already tried that at the Fletcher Jones Toyota at Las Vegas cuz I got the blanks for my car and they told me this. Now I wonder, how easy...or difficult is it to get the cylinder out?

I would love to have my "factory" keys, both owner and valet keys (I already have the blanks!) which I didn't get from the previous owner.

And by the way Matt, you could wire your car just like they do on race cars, one toggle switch to turn on the system and a push button to start! (but I do not think it would be too safe for street use tough!)

I'm thinking.. I have a starter kill already, plus and alarm, plus a club. What if I wired up push button ignition, with a switch to turn on the system and a button to start it.. and in addition to that, I hid a fuel cut switch. Basically having to turn on the fuel, the system, and push button start. To me that would be worth the trouble, as i'm planning on wiring in fuel cut anyways. I'm going to try getting a fresh cut key tommorow. Hopefully that works out. If not I'll probably order in the lock cylinder. Thanks for your input everyone.
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby camshaft » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:50 am

sorry for delay

The ign section does come out of the switch..
Only problem I see is for me to take the tumbler section out of the key section.. there are 3-4 riviots that would have to be drilled out..
How to replaced after... no idea

Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby MR2Kid » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Cam thanks for all your help and research on this. I really appretiate it. I have great news though.. I lucked out and getting a new key cut solved the problem. At least for now...

I only had valé keys which I surmised from the fact that I couldn't lock my t-tops or glove box. I went to JP and got a fresh key cut from the key code, and it turned in the lock cylinder absolutely no problem. It also locks my t-tops and glove box which i'm excited about. It's amazing to see the difference in the old key vs the new key. Anyways, thanks again everyone. And for future reference, Jimmy Patteson Toyota can find your code and cut the key for you. Cost 22$ after tax with a discount from Gord.
-Matt
MR2Kid
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby FOX » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:47 pm

Hey Cam I know this is an old thread but I still haven't gotten my blank keys done. My doubts are:

1.- I was going to have the picture you posted printed in order to show it to the Toyota Mechanics so they could get that number for me. Can you please re-post that pic for me please?

2.- Which side should I get the number from, being my car LHD, driver or passenger?

3.- How hard is it to disassemble the door to get the door lock cilynder out? I remember seeing a whole manual to do this at mr2.com but that was to fix speaker cable and electric mirror problems with the harnesses.

Thanks for your help!
CARLOS
1991 MR2 TURBO Super White
2012 Camry SE
All Toyota Last Chance Garage! 2 down 1 to go!
FOX
Papa '2

Postby camshaft » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:48 pm

Right hand side door

as for removal you have a BGB don't you >?

Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby FOX » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:45 am

I'm thinking.. I have a starter kill already, plus and alarm, plus a club. What if I wired up push button ignition, with a switch to turn on the system and a button to start it.. and in addition to that, I hid a fuel cut switch. Basically having to turn on the fuel, the system, and push button start. To me that would be worth the trouble, as i'm planning on wiring in fuel cut anyways. I'm going to try getting a fresh cut key tommorow. Hopefully that works out. If not I'll probably order in the lock cylinder. Thanks for your input everyone.[/quote]

Hey Matt, I don't know what you ever did about this, but have you seen the video of Roy De Guzman. Just go to the www.vegasmr2.com webpage and click on "showcase" and watch the video and notice the way he starts the car. Maybe that's a solution to the security problems that Cam mentions. I think you're gonna love it!
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby camshaft » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:02 pm

Ouch a Honda S2000 button in a toyota :(
Plus he still had the ign key as well..

Well the ignition assembly also locks your steering wheel.
But its your car your going to need some heavy duty switches possibly some relays.
I would personally think the switches look goofy.. Depending on where you put them and what type..

I would think taking the door cylinder out is easier then adding in all that electrical stuff for switches..

Just my .02 stock works fine

http://www.vegasmr2.com/vids/royhd.wmv

FOX wrote:I'm thinking.. I have a starter kill already, plus and alarm, plus a club. What if I wired up push button ignition, with a switch to turn on the system and a button to start it.. and in addition to that, I hid a fuel cut switch. Basically having to turn on the fuel, the system, and push button start. To me that would be worth the trouble, as i'm planning on wiring in fuel cut anyways. I'm going to try getting a fresh cut key tommorow. Hopefully that works out. If not I'll probably order in the lock cylinder. Thanks for your input everyone.

Hey Matt, I don't know what you ever did about this, but have you seen the video of Roy De Guzman. Just go to the www.vegasmr2.com webpage and click on "showcase" and watch the video and notice the way he starts the car. Maybe that's a solution to the security problems that Cam mentions. I think you're gonna love it![/quote]
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby MR2Kid » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:20 pm

Yeah, just seemed like too much work for a gimmick. Thanks for sharing the vid though Fox.
-Matt
MR2Kid
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby FOX » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:45 pm

Well Matt, I like the gimmick, besides, apparently BMW engineers also like it as that's the way you start my bimmer, and additionally I believe it is a better use of the cigarrette lighter space since I do not smoke!
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby camshaft » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:12 pm

ya but doesn't BMW and a number of high end cars still have a remote. Which you need to keep in your pocket to start the car.
Some even unlock your car as you get close to it for you

FOX wrote:Well Matt, I like the gimmick, besides, apparently BMW engineers also like it as that's the way you start my bimmer, and additionally I believe it is a better use of the cigarrette lighter space since I do not smoke!
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Previous

Return to Interior Talk