What's the deal with aftermarket steering wheels?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

What's the deal with aftermarket steering wheels?

Postby podgers » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:29 am

Hi, I was just wondering how much MOMO commando wheels typically go for. The reason I ask is there's one on ebay now for $235US. I don't have the money now, but damn that wheel would suit my interior and I'm not crazy about the size of the stock wheel.

Are any other parts needed? What's this about a "hub"? Do you all agree that the commando wheel by momo in red is the shit?
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:08 pm

Yes, I agree the Momo Commando Wheel is sweet. MR2MK1SC has this on his car.

The one on ebay is over-priced. I have sent you an email with BCMR2 special pricing. Please let me know if you want this.

The hub is the part that goes between the steering wheel and the steering column.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:58 pm

What's the story on wheel sizes? 350mm (13,8'') OR 320mm (12,6'')? I'm assuming the stock Toyota wheel is larger than the 350mm one. Since I wouldn't want to shock myself too much with the size difference, I guess the 350 mm one is the best bet. Anyone care to shed some light on this? I'm too lazy/tired/unable to find stock steering wheel size.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby oldsnail » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:25 am

coudnt find the size..
but the 350mm gave me more leg room in comparism to the stock steering wheel.. eventhough i am not so tall and dont sit way up... it really frees up lots of space .
Bright and yellow
--------------------

2002 EP3 K20A3
2002 P11 SR20DE
oldsnail
Papa '2

Postby Djmare » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:49 am

I was worried about the size too. I ended up getting a 320mm and its great.
It feels like your playing a videogame!
SuperRed 89 Supercharger
Djmare
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:29 am

podgers17 wrote:What's the story on wheel sizes? 350mm (13,8'') OR 320mm (12,6'')? I'm assuming the stock Toyota wheel is larger than the 350mm one. Since I wouldn't want to shock myself too much with the size difference, I guess the 350 mm one is the best bet. Anyone care to shed some light on this? I'm too lazy/tired/unable to find stock steering wheel size.

James,

Let me know which one you want. Danny's is also the 320mm. Keep in mind that Danny and Djmare both have MKI's. This should not matter though for the MKII.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby podgers » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:28 am

After a quick google I think the stock size is 360mm. So 1 cm off the radius perfectly satisfies my requirements of keeping the spirit of stock specifications, while making it a little smaller.

Even though some of you guys love your 320's, I really liked oldsnail's wheel in person.

Aly, please order me the 350.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby oldsnail » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:18 pm

shessh.. mine is a typo.. it is actually 320mm.. sorry for the confusion.
Bright and yellow
--------------------

2002 EP3 K20A3
2002 P11 SR20DE
oldsnail
Papa '2

Postby podgers » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:26 pm

^^^

yeah I was a little confused there as your wheel seemed "small" to me, more than 10mm smaller than my current one (stock obviously). I did like yours, and it makes me pause, but I think I'm going to stick with the 350mm one. I don't want to alter things too much, and if you go too small it would just feel "off" to me I think.

Yeeaaah sometimes you have to make a decision :). 350 it is!
podgers
Papa '2

Postby podgers » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:49 pm

Of course now I'm having second thoughts... I swear I drive myself mad with indecisiveness.

I'd like to see the 320mm MOMO wheel in person. Alex hopefully I can meet up with you tomorrow and see it again. I'm also going to give a guy named Tracey a call... my friend got his number for me; He drives a yellow mkII turbo that has the commando wheel in it apparently.

Everybody, enlighten me please! Which is better 350 or 320? Are there any issues with turning if you go for a smaller wheel? Does the 320 look funny?
podgers
Papa '2

Postby MR2MK1SC » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:35 pm

I have the red\black Commando wheel in a 320mm size in my MKI and it ROCKS!!! I highly recommend the smaller wheel as it makes driving the car alot more fun and gives you better steering response. Trust me! I tried the 350mm and found that it looked nice but did nothing for increasing my enjoyment of driving the '2....on the other hand, the 320mm makes my car feel like a go-cart!

Just my 2-euro!
- MR2MK1SC
Danny Revelant
'89 MR2 SC
MR2MK1SC
Grandfather '2

Postby podgers » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:09 pm

MR2MK1SC wrote:I have the red\black Commando wheel in a 320mm size in my MKI and it ROCKS!!! I highly recommend the smaller wheel as it makes driving the car alot more fun and gives you better steering response. Trust me! I tried the 350mm and found that it looked nice but did nothing for increasing my enjoyment of driving the '2....on the other hand, the 320mm makes my car feel like a go-cart!

Just my 2-euro!
- MR2MK1SC

You don't find it.... too small?

You're swaying me though. I called up my buddy and he made a good point - the mr2 is a small car, therefore small wheel works. The 350mm wheel may well be intended for a sedan or coupe.

As long as it doesn't screw up your handling or visability too bad(blocking the turn signals is okay).

I'm waiting for my man Drscam to show up and spread the good news. I also would like to see a 320mm wheel in person before ordering.
podgers
Papa '2

Postby drscam » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:55 pm

podgers17 wrote:I'm waiting for my man Drscam to show up and spread the good news. I also would like to see a 320mm wheel in person before ordering.

I am here. I sent you an email after trying to call your house. I have not yet ordered the wheel; however it can be ordered tomorrow once I know for certain which you want. Call me. I left the# with your dad.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Holyrain » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:43 pm

Hey Podgers, make sure your car goes through its inspections before you stick an aftermarket wheel on it. Your airbag has to be fully functioning at the time of inspections. Ask me how I know? 8) Also if you are not doing it yourself, it may be tough finding someone to swap it for you. Its illegal to remove an airbag from an airbag equipped vehicle. Also some people are paranoid about accidently deploying the airbag. I had mine done to my 300 last year, but it was not a prob cause it did not have an airbag. My gf took me to one of those mall ricer stores and sneakily learned which one I liked, then she went without me and bought it from there, spending almost double what it was worth. Point? Check the internet for the best prices normally.
Holyrain
Papa '2

Postby podgers » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:58 pm

^^^

Good advice on the waiting for after the inspection (which will happen sometime this year hopefully) - i'm proud to say even I had already thought of that ;). Yeah I could just picture me not thinking of that though and showing up to the inspection missing an airbag.

I'm not losing any sleep taking out an airbag though, I don't like those things. I'm sure I'll be able to get the momo wheel installed at some point.

EDIT: Aly's getting me a killer deal. I know what you mean on price markup though, I've seen these go for much higher (maybe the hub was included, but well over $400)
Aly I'm going to call you within 5 minutes. I just got home.
podgers
Papa '2

Next

Return to Interior Talk