Electrical problems

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Electrical problems

Postby Mantle » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:49 am

My cigarette lighter and dome light trigger (driver side) is not working and I was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to diagnose fix and these problems.

The switch is not stuck and I'm going to try taking it off and touching the wire to ground like Francis (?) suggested in the other thread. However Peter said the previous owner to him didn't like the door open buzzer so he cut the wire which may have also been the trigger for the light.

As for the cigarette lighter, the contacts inside look a bit dirty. Is it safe for me to stick my finger in there to try to clean it up without getting a shock?
Mantle
Baby '2

Re: Electrical problems

Postby drscam » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:11 pm

Mantle wrote:
As for the cigarette lighter, the contacts inside look a bit dirty. Is it safe for me to stick my finger in there to try to clean it up without getting a shock?

Disconnect the battery first just to be safe. Have you checked the fuses for the lighter and/or dome light.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby Mantle » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:46 pm

I have the Haynes manual for the 85-87 MR2 (mine is 89) and I can't find any mention of fuses for the lighter or dome light. However, the dome light does work and the passenger side switch does work as well. The cigarette lighter's green ring light works as well.
Mantle
Baby '2

Postby Mantle » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:26 am

I found the cig lighter fuse and it looks like that's not the problem. What's something else I can try before dismantling the whole center console? Any ideas on where to look where the switch is cut?
Mantle
Baby '2

hmmm

Postby Narfy » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:11 am

your door buzzer is located in the pillar under your seatbelt mechanism on the driver's side... remove panels there, re-crimp connect wires...

your cigarette lighter, radio and a few other items should be in the same circuit... if your lighter doesn't work, remove the lighter and test for power at the lighter's connecting wires... if you get power, replace the lighter socket, if not, trace your wires (easier said than done)
i eat waaaaay too much sushi...
2nd place best stock MKI at BC2004...
fng@regencyauto.com
Narfy
BCMR2 Sponsor

Return to Interior Talk