Short Hub or normal hub?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Short Hub or normal hub?

Postby MR2 Kid » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Hey guys I'm new to the fourm and just recently purchased my mr2 off Sarah is a member on the forum ( white 91 turbo with a black hood). Unfornatley the wheel is supper worn out and I'm looking to swap it over with a momo wheel I have. The question is does anyone have any experience with short hub over normal hubs and if so what would you suggest. Take into accouht the short hub is worth 50$ more :(. I'm 6.4 and already have the seat all the way back and it would just suck if the wheel didn't fit properly and had to deal with sending stuff back through eBay which is a huge headache. Thanks for your time

Connor
MR2 Kid

Re: Short Hub or normal hub?

Postby m_b » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Short hub allows the steering wheel to sit further away from the driver compared to a regular hub.
1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Signal Yellow)
1994 Honda Civic Si
m_b
Baby '2

Postby MR2 Kid » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:08 pm

m_b wrote:Short hub allows the steering wheel to sit further away from the driver compared to a regular hub.

Yes I understand that but I was wondering if I can get a way with a normal hub? Because I know in some cars it gets far to close to your chest and in that case people go for the short hub. I'm just wondering if this was the case for mr2's.
MR2 Kid

Postby kakucaekz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:41 am

Also depends on how much dish your steering wheel has. If it's a flat wheel like a mb's (with NOS!) then you might get away with a normal hub. Just remember that the closer it is, the more your arms are bent, which gives you a bit less leverage when parking without power steering.
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Just get the regular Momo hub. IMO, it's the perfect distance (like OEM). It worked on my Supercharged '89 before I swapped it over w/ my Momo Jet wheel to my '91t some years back.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby dh4ever » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:50 pm

I found that my hub with a flat wheel was too short, I don't know the actual dimension but I made a 10mm spacer in there and it fit better. there was less than 1 finger width between the cruise lever on the column and the wheel, so I kept hitting it.
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby m_b » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:25 am

MR2 Kid wrote:
m_b wrote:Short hub allows the steering wheel to sit further away from the driver compared to a regular hub.

Yes I understand that but I was wondering if I can get a way with a normal hub? Because I know in some cars it gets far to close to your chest and in that case people go for the short hub. I'm just wondering if this was the case for mr2's.

Can't really have a definitive answer to this one since it'll be different for every person. Come out to the meet on December 4th if you'd like to see how mine is like.

I find mine is a little bit too close but like kakucaekz said, huge leverage when I'm making a turn especially at slow speeds.
1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo (Signal Yellow)
1994 Honda Civic Si
m_b
Baby '2

Postby Saiko » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 am

I have a regular Momo hub in mine. I read that the Momo ones are best compared to other generic ones, because in a collision it is designed to collapse on impact to allow for some 'give' and not crush your chest.

Mine is a 92T Canadian, no power steering or airbag.
Eric
92T
Go CANUCKS!!
Saiko
Grandfather '2

Return to Interior Talk