TRUNK LOCK

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

TRUNK LOCK

Postby FOX » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:34 am

The trunk lock of my Mk2 doesn't work either with the handle next to the driver side door nor with the key. I don't have a clue. Only way to pop open the trunk is with the remote control unit. I looked for it at the BGB but didn't/couldn't find anything, apparently Toyota forgot to include it in the BGB. Sooo, I shot a pic of how it looks inside the trunk with the hopes that someone could tell if something looks out of place inside the trunk. When I pull the handle next to the driver's seat, the cable on the left hand side of the pic that ends in a little ball pulls the lever but nothing happens. And the key just doesn't turn either way, left or right. Any clues? Does something look out of place in the pic? Something the skipped something or likewise?

CARLOS
1991 MR2 TURBO Super White
2012 Camry SE
All Toyota Last Chance Garage! 2 down 1 to go!
FOX
Papa '2

TRUNK LOCK

Postby camshaft » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:30 am

Remote control unit ? Aftermarket Alarm with a trunk popper solenoid?
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Re: TRUNK LOCK

Postby immorality » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:02 am

Maybe there is too much slack in the cable? I'm not sure, I'd have to take mine apart and look at it.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

TRUNK LOCK

Postby camshaft » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:17 am

Saying the key wont turn and inside release doesn't work sounds like lock cylinder is in lock out mode. But then it shouldn't open with a third party solenoid
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby FOX » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:25 pm

camshaft wrote:Remote control unit ? Aftermarket Alarm with a trunk popper solenoid?

Absolutely correct Cam.
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 pm

immorality wrote:Maybe there is too much slack in the cable? I'm not sure, I'd have to take mine apart and look at it.

I dont't think so Russ, the cable does pull that lever correctly.
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:28 pm

camshaft wrote:Saying the key wont turn and inside release doesn't work sounds like lock cylinder is in lock out mode. But then it shouldn't open with a third party solenoid

Oooops, maybe you have a point here. Let me see if the owners manual says something on this matter.
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby macatak » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Carlos
do you have more than 1 key?
mine only had the valet key when I got it and it wouldn't open the trunk, also locked out the cable release.
is the key slot vertical or horizontal?
if it's horizontal then it's been locked with the regular key.
even the master key needs to be in the locks just right or
they don't move.
I think it's an age thing :roll:
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks Duncan. Yes, I do have several keys, all copies of copies of copies of God knows how many copies, some are masters and some are valet. I tried to have original keys cut at a dealership (I had already purchased blanks) however they couldn't do it with my VIN number as, they claim, their system started after my VIN number date of manufacture, so they told me I would have to get a "number" out of the lock of one of the doors (I don't remember if driver side of passenger side) and then, with that "number" they would be able to cut my blanks. I understand disassembling the inside of the door is no easy task so I have not attempted it yet, but it certainly is in my pendings list.

The trunk's keyhole is horizontal, so as you say, maybe that's why it just doesn't work. I'll try again with all my copies and see if one of them turns it vertically as I checked my owners manual last night and says that in order to leave that little handle unoperable when you leave it at valet parking, and they wouldn't be able to open it, turn it with your key counterclockwise. But it doesn't say how to go back to "normal". I have to tell you my trunk is empty and with nothing to steal.
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby macatak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:27 am

No worries,Amigo, sounds like it's in Valet mode like mine was.
The lock code is on the pass side lock cylinder.
I suggest squirting some Lock-Eze lubricant into the lock and letting it sit for a bit before you start trying keys.
Then try gently turning the key clockwise.
Even with my new master key (I got lucky, dealer had the # on file) the lock was still really stiff at first.
I sort of worked it back and forth a bit at a time until I got it back to vertical.
all the locks were/are in the same condition,even the ignition, I think is just normal internal wear.
and often copies and copies of copies just make it worse because you are copying the wear.
My works best if it's just slightly lose in the lock. Not quite all the way in.you sort of have to wiggle it around a bit at first until you get a feel for where it works.
Wish I had remote release like yours.
Duncan

I wonder if a locksmith might be able to get the lock out of valet mode?
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:54 am

Gee thanks amigo! Just did what you said, squirt some WD40 and tried some of the 10 keys the previous owner gave me and voilá! The keyhole was positioned vertically and the trunk release handle worked again! So is was just a matter of getting the key back to vertical again. Very happy that this is taken care of, thanks a million for your help again!!!!
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:43 am

Graphite cleaner helped me with all my locks that were jammed, I tried WD-40 and all that but unfortunately they didn't do the trick.

This stuff even fixed locks on our other cars that we bought that weren't functioning in the first place.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby macatak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 pm

A lot of locksmiths use WD-40 to clean and un-stick locks but then give them a shot of Lock-Eze to keep them lubricated.
WD-40 flushes all the gunk out but leaves a sticky residue when it evaporates which everthing sticks too.
The carrier agent in the Lock-Eze evaporates completely leaving just the graphite behind

If you give all your locks a little shot of Lock-Eze , work the key in the lock a few times and then wipe the key with a paper towel or microfiber cloth every 2nd or 3rd oil change
you will have a lot less problems and wear.
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Lock-Eze hu? I wonder who makes that? I'll try and see if I can find it at an Auto Zone here as I am not familiar with this product but I could certainly use some of it as even the ignition key is sometimes locking on me and cannot turn it at all. That is one of the reasons I wanna have original keys cut at the dealer, to get a fresh new start with the car keys. Thanks again for all your helpl BTW, the way I intend to tear down the pass door if I am not mistaken, I remember reading an article on how to go about doing this task at www.MR2.com, so I'll go there and check and see if I can have my blanks cut at the Miami Toyota dealership (Kendall).
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby macatak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 pm

this be the stuff

Lock Ease ( my bad didn"t spell it right)
mfg by American Grease Tube Co.

'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Next

Return to Interior Talk