TRUNK LOCK

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: TRUNK LOCK

Postby FOX » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks for the pic Dunc, on my first attempt at Auto Zone I crashed. I'll try with the printed pic now. Cheers!
CARLOS
1991 MR2 TURBO Super White
2012 Camry SE
All Toyota Last Chance Garage! 2 down 1 to go!
FOX
Papa '2

Postby macatak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:26 pm

da nada, Amigo
'89 SC, 1st place MR2 MK1/MK3, 2013 Toyotafest; Best AW11 PSTOF 2010
'91 Turbo,
'99 Maxima ES - lump
macatak
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 pm

I've finally managed to find the Lock Ease at an Ace Hardware store in the US during a recent trip, however, applying it to the ignition cylinder might have not been a good idea as it finally got stuck. I cannot turn any of the ten keys I have in any way. I called a locksmith, and the first one that came made matters even worst. He tripped one of the screws that holds the plastic shell below the steering column, then in his desperation he broke the plastic shell screw hole, and I finally fired him from the house as I thought things could get worst. Now I have found a good friend who happens to be a locksmith but he will be able to come until next week.

But in advance he told me that what might be is that the main cylinder and core of the mainway need replacement. I told him I am not sure if Toyota sells those parts or if they will sell me the whole ignition cylinder with a new set of keys. I'll have to find out. Does anybody know?

My doubt now is that if Toyota only sells me the whole Cylinder with a new set of keys, will a locksmith be able to make it work with my old key so I can only use one key for the ignition, door, glove compartment and trunck locks? Or will I have to end up with two keys, the new one just for the ignition and the old one for the rest of the locks?

What a pain! :bash:
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:23 am

Locksmiths are able to match the new lock cylinder with your old set of keys (I recommend getting a new key cut from your key code or perhaps Vin #), that's what I got done a while ago.

This was one of the first things I did so I'm a bit shabby on this, but if you get the key code which should be on your passenger side lock cylinder, give it to Toyota, and they'll make a fresh key which should work fine unless all of your lock cylinders are really worn out. I believe they can match the lock cylinder too (if you buy a new one).

I did all of the above to find out that my passenger door is from a different car so now I just made a brand new functioning key which only works on the passenger door. :( Previous owner needs a beating.

Get that key code, replace all lock cylinders and you will have the "perfect" key. :P
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:26 am

Look at post #9 on this thread below.
http://www.mr2.com/forums/lithia-toyota ... ition.html

I think that's what you're worried about, correct?
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks for all the tips. Sometimes I just wish I had all the resources you have over there but I don't, so that means I have to move lots slower here. Although we have Toyota here in Merida, it is an entirely different company as they started business after the year 2000 so they do not get involved with our "old" cars. Here it is the way the cookie crumbles right now here in Timbuktu:

1.- My friend the locksmith just phoned and said he is leaving to Cancun to work for a couple of days over there. So he will not be available before I leave to Mexico City next Wednesday. He recommended me with an associate who, hopefully, will come and check my 2 next Monday. I have also contacted a dealer in the US to try to find out which parts are available for this task.

2.- I spent most of the afternoon, several hours into the evening, searching several webpages including this one, trying to find out how to take out the ignition cylinder from the car. I want to make it easier for the locksmith when he shows up and avoid the risk of having one that might break something else in the car. I remember reading this task somewhere some years back but cannot find it. Neither found anything in my BGB. I am not very proficient at using search engines. Also I remember reading something about someone who changed the light bulb inside the ring around the ignition cylinder but neither could find it.

3.- After reading the post #9 the only doubt that it is not clear in my mind is: Is that famous Code that some people have gotten at Lithius Toyota and 1st. Toyota Parts, is that the same number than the one that is suppossed to be on the passenger side lock? If so, I would love to try to find out through 1st. Toyota Parts with my VIN and see if they can provide it, rather than trying to pop off all the cover on the door and eliminate the risk of breaking something else. Is it the same?

BTW, elsewhere I read that the lock set for the 2 is over US$350 and has all the locks for the car (I can only guess that the word "all" means ignition, both doors, trunk, glove compartment, t-tops et al?) And also btw, I attempted to have my blank keys cut at a Toyota dealer in the US and they said that my VIN number is previous to their system so they could not cut my blanks. They mentioned to get the famous number out of the cylinder in the pass side door.
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:40 pm

I know what you mean, I tried looking for that thread a couple months back too but could not find it. I printed the guide out because it was the first thing I did on my mr2 and I was a newbie, I'll see if I can find the pages and scan it to you if you have not found them yet.

Give them a call and find out if you're able to get the code from the Vin #, it won't hurt to try.

That sucks, I guess you have to get to the passenger side lock cylinder to get the code then.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby sprinterkb » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Carlos buddy, you need to contact me directly on this.
You should be able to get just the ign lock by it self
To remove lock from the hole depress the release pin with the key in ACC mode.
the new lock can be installed in reverse.
If your door locks are OK you can have the ign coded for the door key before install.

These locks are easy to take apart and change the length of the pins, works best if you have a supply of pins
you should be able to use the pins from the old lock i required..

Email me direct if you need further instructions

I will see if i have BGB instuctions at work on monday..

Good luck Kevin
RedLeader
93T "RedLeader" 18 Prime hypersonic Red
2nd place mark 2 2013 Tfest
OnlyToyota's in my garage! (Lastchance Garage)
sprinterkb
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 am

The locksmith just came to the house today and said the ignition cylinder had to be uninstalled and said the factory uses some special security screws that are beheaded once the cylinder is installed and they had to hammer out the screws. I don't know if this is true but he did manage to pull out the cylinder and took it to his shop to check it out. He'll come back with a new "fresh" key that should work just fine with the rest of the locks in the car. He said he has that computer to cut new keys and he purchased it in Miami. He said if I can find the original blanks I had previously purchased at a Toyota dealer some years ago he can cut them for me. He also helped me to take out the passenger side door lock to check the famous code number I told him about and the lock has three numbers, so I will assume it will be the one that starts with a letter and has for numeric digits, as the other two are just plain too short.

Will keep you posted, thanks Kevin! I just wish I had received your post before the locksmith came but remember that I couldn't turn the key anyway so I would not be abble to put it in "ACC" mode.

Oh, and also btw, the Toyota dealer in the US also came back with the part number and price for a new ignition cylinder just in case someone needs it, it is: 69057-17060 and the cost is US$120 plus tax. I am hoping mine can be fixed.
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby FOX » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:12 am

Just a quick update as I am in Mexico City without my pc. The locksmith cameback with the cylinder working like new and with no need to replace anything, not even a new key had to be made, soo, I'm very happy that the 2 is back on its feet again. Now I'll have to work on the insurance issue as its annual insurance policy has expired and I'not driving it without insurance. It is against the law in Merida. Pls refer to the insurance thread in that section. I also found my key blanks I had purchased some years ago and finally, I also got the car's code number out of the passenger side door lock. On my next trip to the US I'll bring the blanks along to have them cut at a Toy dealer.

Thanks to Kevin (Sprinterkb) and everyone for you concern and help on this issue!!!
CARLOS
2012 Camry SE
FOX
Papa '2

Postby Goopi » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm glad it all worked out!
Goopi
Papa '2

Previous

Return to Interior Talk