trying to do a Heater Core fix - the easy way?

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: trying to do a Heater Core fix - the easy way?

Postby Goopi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:22 pm

fraze wrote:I didn't know this was still here. It's nice to see photos of the whole process, even the ugly broken brass bits.
You're my hero of the month, Joe :)

Also: I'm about to make underpanels from clear Lexan, what think ye?

Isn't it hard to find someone that is willing to cut it?

I'm planning on doing the same but with a thin sheet of stainless steel and I'm going to get a double fan shroud made while I'm at, its going to be a while before I do though.
I was planning on trying a group buy since a lot of people would appreciate it and we'll all get a good deal on it, but then again it will be a while and I haven't looked into it much.
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby fraze » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:52 pm

SSJMR2 wrote:
fraze wrote:I didn't know this was still here. It's nice to see photos of the whole process, even the ugly broken brass bits.
You're my hero of the month, Joe :)

Also: I'm about to make underpanels from clear Lexan, what think ye?

Isn't it hard to find someone that is willing to cut it?

I'm planning on doing the same but with a thin sheet of stainless steel and I'm going to get a double fan shroud made while I'm at, its going to be a while before I do though.
I was planning on trying a group buy since a lot of people would appreciate it and we'll all get a good deal on it, but then again it will be a while and I haven't looked into it much.

Lexan is OK to cut and drill, though IME it's safest to use an older, less sharp bit if you're drilling much. The best part about making underpanels out of clear plastic is not having to hunt and measure to get the drill holes right :) I'm concerned it might crack though, and don't want to risk it. I just priced out some aluminum panels, 2mm thick. Looks like a good investment in the undercarriage of my car.

Let me know how your SS panels work out - what thickness are you using, and how much will they weigh?
fraze
Baby '2

Postby Goopi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:44 pm

fraze wrote:
Lexan is OK to cut and drill, though IME it's safest to use an older, less sharp bit if you're drilling much. The best part about making underpanels out of clear plastic is not having to hunt and measure to get the drill holes right :) I'm concerned it might crack though, and don't want to risk it. I just priced out some aluminum panels, 2mm thick. Looks like a good investment in the undercarriage of my car.

Let me know how your SS panels work out - what thickness are you using, and how much will they weigh?

Like I said, I haven't looked too much into it, they will weigh more and cost more than the aluminum panels but I like the idea of it being able to shine forever. :D
I am planning on working on it next year since I doubt my stock one will hold on through this winter, it was scraping the whole time last year on OEM ride height and with TRD springs it'll dangle off, I've already lost 1. :(

I want to get less pieces as well and maybe try out 3-4 instead of the 8 or w.e it has from factory.
Goopi
Papa '2

Previous

Return to Interior Talk