Mk2 steering wheel quesiton.

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Mk2 steering wheel quesiton.

Postby sbarc » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:08 pm

Was there ever a non airbag horn button centre peice that looked like an airbag?

The reason I ask is I picked up a leather steering wheel but it is missing the airbag. It's for my CDN 91 MR2 and I don't need the airbag so I'd like to see if there was a centre peice that looks like an airbag but is just actually a big ol horn button. That way I can have a 4 spoke steering wheel without having an airbag.

If airbags were installed in the CDN MR2's from 93 onwards and my 91 hasa 3 spoke wheel.....perhaps what I'm after is a 92 wheel...if they are 4 spoke or some JDM of overseas market wheel that is a 4 spoke but doesn't have an airbag. This is a bit of an issue for me as this car is for my daughter and being a girl she might be sitting closer to the wheel than I would. Of course in theory the airbag should not deply if it has no sensors etc.......but I'd like to make sure by not having an airbag in the first place.

Does that make any sense?

I'm not interested in an aftermarket wheel.
'93 MR2 N/A
'91 MR2 N/A
'89 MR2 SC (CDN car)
'89 MR2 SC (US car)
'85 Supra (white)
'85 Supra (silver/Grey 2 tone)
'90 Porsche 928 GT
'81 Porsche 924 Turbo
'73 Triumph GT6
71 Opel GT
sbarc
Baby '2

Re: Mk2 steering wheel quesiton.

Postby Oteck » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm

To sum it up you want a newer factory steering wheel w/ a non functional airbag. Only canadians and JDM has this option.
There are many issues that you will run into when you try to retro fit these as i have encountered while doing it to skydive dan's car.

-Horns use a different system, they have a clock spring instead of a contact ring
-Crusie control works differently, and it's on the steering wheel and not on the steering column

It's very easy to remove the airbag but there are hurdles which i mentioned above that will complicate things.

I'f your interested i have a 00 celica 3 spoke wheel $40 but needs a airbag cover

See bottom right
Oteck
Grandfather '2

Return to Interior Talk