HELP WITH SMELL!

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

HELP WITH SMELL!

Postby Luigi64 » Fri May 30, 2003 12:58 am

Hey guys. I just recently bought my car and im having a really hard time getting the smell out of it. I belive the previous owner was smoking or just had some really bad BO. I tried using 2 different kinds of carpet cleaners. and even put a airfreshner in there (helps a bit but i still notice the smell. I rented a water vacume which sprays carpet cleaner out then vacumes it up (this took buckets of dirt out of the car) but the thing still smells. (remind anyone of seinfeld?) anyone have any ideas on what to do?should i just bring the car somewhere and have it done professionally?
Mr2 88 SC white
Luigi64
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Fri May 30, 2003 6:49 am

you can have it done professionally; however, this is probably not necessary.

Try spraying Febreeze on the carpets and seats (if cloth). This product has offered me great results on previous cars with leaky sun roofs causing mildew on carpet.

This is usually a cheap solution that works..otherwise email me and I will see about referring you to a professional. aly@bcmr2.com
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby sean » Fri May 30, 2003 8:43 am

the big question is where is the smell coming from. One big problem with smells is that it can get in the ducting, so everytime you turn on the heat, it just stinks. Try the basics, like "febreeze" as Drscam said, but if it won't work, post again and you'll be hooked up with a good shop.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby immorality » Fri May 30, 2003 12:26 pm

febreeze worked for me, getting rid of that mildew smell.
immorality
BCMR2 Web Admin & Executive Board Member

Postby Luigi64 » Sat May 31, 2003 12:18 am

thanks for the help guys. il try some febreeze asap. I think the smell is getting a bit better now with the air freshner . either that or im just getting used to the other smell.
Mr2 88 SC white
Luigi64
Junior '2

Postby drscam » Sat May 31, 2003 8:28 am

Blackheart wrote:thanks for the help guys. il try some febreeze asap. I think the smell is getting a bit better now with the air freshner . either that or im just getting used to the other smell.

To find out for sure have someone new sit in your car and see if they can smell it and if so...how strong is the smell?
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

hahahaa

Postby Narfy » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:08 pm

if fabreeze doesn't help and the smell is coming from the ducts, turn your fan on to max, heat on to max and spray lysol into the vent in the cowl panel... lysol kills bacteria, which is what causes the smell in the ducts... if you want, the dealer can do an "ac service" on your car which removes almost all the odour from the ducts if it's bad...
i eat waaaaay too much sushi...
2nd place best stock MKI at BC2004...
fng@regencyauto.com
Narfy
BCMR2 Sponsor

Return to Interior Talk