red out tail lights

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Re: red out tail lights

Postby camshaft » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 pm

But just a warned that changing the orange turn signal colour lines you up for a ticket and possible VI. As well if your in a accident and for some reason your turn signal wasn't visible to the other driver. Can line you up to be at fault in a accident claim
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby PearlWhiteMR2 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Meh... I don't think turning amber signals red is really going to be a cop issue. They're always more concerned about where my plates are when I have a permit on the car... it's a magnet for getting pulled over but my tails aren't blacked out so they really don't have any idea.
-Sarah
1985 MR2 - R.I.P
1991 MR2 Turbo
2013 Scion FR-S
Apprentice Tech at Valley Toyota
PearlWhiteMR2
Grandfather '2

Postby dh4ever » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 am

i thought you only needed amber front? just a certian light emission for the rear. Wouldnt clear fronts be more illegal than a tinted out amber rear? being that the MVA states amber reflector visable from front and side on the front and red reflector visable from rear and side? (I got a 4X4, they love to VI me) I would be putting some intense superflux LEDs in those markers, completely rebuild it so it has blinding light ( like my offroad trailer, sucker doesnt need backup lights when you got the 4 ways on)
dh4ever
Papa '2

Postby RePete » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:44 am

Heh heh, more illegal. Isn't that like more pregnant? :P

But I think Cam is probably right, rears are most likely illegal - as are the front clears as dh4 mentioned. I have the clear side markers on my deuce but I think I'm getting away with it because I have DRLs and when they're lit they're amber - which is just as visible or more so than a reflector.
RePete
Grandfather '2

Postby camshaft » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Basically the way the car came stock in CND is legally how it has to be which is why RHD have to add amber/red markers on the rear. And a number of other items have to be modified or added to legally pass the car in a government inspection.

Its a free world and you can modify anything you like but it North America its a funny system. As many parts suppliers put on the parts "off road use only" and still legally sell the parts. But as soon as you put them on your car for "on road use" they are now not legal.

Any hoot I just wanted to add that info as you may never get pulled over. But I have just seen a number of people modify things and at road checks cops slap them with a VI. Or even getting pulled over for a speeding ticket and get slapped with a steering wheel too small ticket.

My big concern is that if you modify the tail lights/ turn signals and have a accident ICBC now days is looking for reasons to make you at fault. So if the other driver said he couldn't see your tail lights because they where black out or turn signals because you painted over them or made them red etc.. ICBC many bump the at fault % so that now you are responsible rather then the other driver.
You may scoff at this but trust me I have seen ICBC do anything to make both people pay $$

Just my .02

Any ways I'm just saying this so when you get pulled over and a police officer is having a bad day and decides to give you a VI.
Licensed Auto Technician, Gov Inspector, AirCare, Pressure Fuels Installer
Mr2 Parts
camshaft
MR2 Veteran

Postby Goopi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Good advise, as clean as it looks, you don't want to argue with ICBC (funny thing is, we actually usually want to).

Poop, I was planning on getting a set of 94+ taillamps and doing the same thing though. :(
Goopi
Papa '2

Postby kakucaekz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Clear corner lens, goopi? xD Those look alright too, but the all red looks better.
Dalton
1991 MR2 Turbo - Summer toy
1992 Acura Integra GSR - Winter/daily/passenger car
kakucaekz
Papa '2

Postby dh4ever » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 pm

and again, another thing that isnt legal is headlight changes, funny enough. example being you put a DOT aproved H4 lens in your car (though most are only euro spec like bosch and hella) its illegal, because its not factory spec. its better quality and works better, but because its not factory, its now illegal.

what will help you with a road check is a clean setup, not too obnoxious exhaust sound, and being polite. I have been confronted many times with my jeep but I have gotten out of them by being polite, having the truck clean and not too loud exhaust has helped (ive got a 6" lift with 33" tires so she is a bit of a cop magnet, and I didnt VI it after I lifted it over 100mm camshaft, i just tell the cops politely its a 4" lift thats settled)
dh4ever
Papa '2

Previous

Return to Exterior Talk