Garage??

Moderators: Administrator, Executive Members, Moderator Group

Garage??

Postby 88sc » Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:33 pm

I need a good garage that I can take my engine to and have it balanced? Anyone know a good, trust worthy garage? I was thinking of a toyota dealer, but not to sure if they would do this?

thanks. :Stupid:
1990 Celica GTS

http://toymr2sc.7h.com
88sc
Baby '2

Re: Garage??

Postby drscam » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:11 pm

88sc wrote:I need a good garage that I can take my engine to and have it balanced? Anyone know a good, trust worthy garage? I was thinking of a toyota dealer, but not to sure if they would do this?

thanks. :Stupid:

Send Manj an emal...I think he would know best...bcmr2@shaw.ca
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby 88sc » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:35 pm

no reply yet? what no one knows a good shop for this???
1990 Celica GTS

88sc
Baby '2

Postby drscam » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:48 pm

88sc wrote:no reply yet? what no one knows a good shop for this???

I spoke with Manj...he is checking for you....He will get back to you shortly.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby 88sc » Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:31 pm

1990 Celica GTS

88sc
Baby '2

Postby drscam » Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:03 am

You're welcome....also PM Sean: (he is back from his business trip now) He also knows of a shop...He will most probably post here as well.
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby sean » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:56 pm

Yup, I'm back from Montana. Happily I might add.

Anyway, as for getting engine work done, try Richmond engines. I know a while ago they were building up a 3sgte for somebody (anybody know who?) and they do great quality work. They get lots of business from the US, and deal with mostly race cars, but do plenty of street cars as well. Great guys. I've been there lots for technical advice as they're directly across the road from my work.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby drscam » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:17 pm

Sean, Do you have a contact name at Richmond Engines, address, phone number...Do you think they would embrace the BCMR2 Club with a small discount if asked?
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby sean » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:40 pm

I will go check with the owner this week. Not sure about discounts, pretty sure he just charges a flat rate. It's not really a retail type of shop. It's all high end stuff and people are generally willing to pay for the quality work, but I'll look into it.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby 88sc » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:56 pm

I just need to have the engine taken apart and balanced, then when it is put back together, i want a metal head gasket put on it which i will supply.
1990 Celica GTS

88sc
Baby '2

Postby sean » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:04 pm

That doesn't sound like anything too complicated. Do you have the engine ready to get done now? Depending on what needs to be done, I can check out a price for you. Is it just the block, or is the crank being done as well? Are you getting the cylinders bored, pistons, rods.......

I'll talk to Richmond engines this week and update as to what I find.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby 88sc » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:13 am

I have the entire engine block and head together, what i need to have done is to have the head removed, with the cams, then have the block taken apart, crank and all, then just have the crank, rods and pistons and whatever else needs to be balanced, then have the enge but back together. the new engine is just sitting on a crate right now, the only thing that i need is a metal head gasket which will be replacing the stock one on the engine now.
1990 Celica GTS

88sc
Baby '2

Postby sean » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:56 am

ok, but if you're running a metal headgasket, you should probalby surface the head and block faces to ensure a seal. Otherwise you probably shouldn't run a metal headgasket. This is why I'm asking what all you want done. Then, do you want to port and polish the head, 3 or 5 angle valve job, cams.......

Figure out exactly what you need them to do, let me know, and I can get a price. Or rough prices.
sean
Grandfather '2

Postby drscam » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:04 am

Sean,

(sorry to interject) :o
If their prices are fixed as you have stated above...They should have a menu (so to speak) and the prices associated with each type of service they provide.

Just ask them for a price list of what services they provide. Let them know this is for the MR2 (ALL Model Years). Then post their response.

This way once 88SC (and other members) figures out exactly what needs to be done...you are not playing middle man any longer.

My :2cents:
drscam
BCMR2 Support Team

Postby ReDRuM » Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:51 am

there's a chap out in Mission who balanced my motor parts.
I just cant remember his name.
Cost about $140 for flywheel,rods/pistons,crank pulley..
If you're really keen on taking the psrts to him I'll look him up...he's on Lougheed between Mission and Port Coq
Manj
ReDRuM Racing Ltd
ReDRuM
Junior '2

Next

Return to Engine\Mechanic Talk